Pauline Quirke has admitted that she cried when she arrived on the Emmerdale set to film her first scenes.

The actress recently signed up to play Jackson Walsh's mother Hazel on the ITV1 soap and began filming at the show's home in Leeds last week.

Speaking to Radio Aire about her debut, Quirke revealed: "Last Wednesday was my first scene. [It was] in the village - that village is unbelievable. I cried when I saw The Woolpack.

"My mum absolutely loved Emmerdale and so to get on set and actually see that Woolpack, it was actually really emotional so I had a little cry. But then I pulled myself together!"

The 50-year-old also said that she is thrilled with her new co-stars after getting a friendly reception on her first day.

She said: "I've never worked on anything where I've been made to feel so welcome and the cast have been so lovely and helping me with the schedule. It's just been, honestly, unbelievable how nice everyone is."

Quirke's first Emmerdale scenes will air in August. Her character is expected to soon become embroiled in a dramatic plotline involving son Jackson (Marc Silcock) and his lover Aaron Livesy (Danny Miller).