Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cervical Smear Test

Quote Originally Posted by moonstorm View Post
    An epidural!! I thought I was bad! No you can't have one of these!! What about taking something herbal to relax you, like "Quiet Life"? Or do yoga breathing excerises? I know smer tests are unpleasant but they are a must! Be big brave girls and go, it only lasts for 2 mins.
    It lasts a lot longer than 2 mins with me. The nurse nearly gave up last time! It's just so stressful. The leaflet on it does say it's painful for some women though.

It is uncomfortble for me, but not painful and only lasts a short moment, I never knew that some women suffer like you describe. Sorry to ask, but do you get period type pain afterwards or is it painful where they take the swab? Because I only find the swab bit unpleasant but don't have any other pains anywhere else.

Discomfort and pain during the test, and afterwards too. Like period pains then fades to soreness.

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    I was to have one of these the other day and I couldnt because it hurt so much - is it always like this?

I think I will need to take a relaxer or I cant have it done

Any advice/tips/help for me please?
    Maybe try and take something to relax you. Worth a try. Hope it works, and good luck!

Try and take something to calm and relax you

Shiv I'm with you I hate having them done and mine's is long over due. My last one only hurt when it was being done after that I was fine but it's just the thought. I avoid going to the doctors altogether as I know they are going to pull me up about it. Maybe we should go and get legless in a pub then go and get it done together.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    It is uncomfortble for me, but not painful and only lasts a short moment, I never knew that some women suffer like you describe. Sorry to ask, but do you get period type pain afterwards or is it painful where they take the swab? Because I only find the swab bit unpleasant but don't have any other pains anywhere else.
    For me is it very very sharp pain where they take the swab.. it is like I have a stick stuck in me and stings like hell all day.. sometimes I can't sit down.. that is how bad is gets sometimes.

Kath.. yes, lets get drunk and go together
    Super Mod

Just can't think of what it could be, I am not relaxed when I go but force myself for the obvious reasons, ubt I go once a year. Going for a drink beforehand with you guys sounds fantastic.
    Wish I could think of something more than the obvious, talk to the doc but I guess you have done that

The crazy thing is I pass my doctors surgery everyday on the way to work, it's less than 5 mins up the road but it's just the thought of going in and making an appointment then getting stressed out about it. I keep putting it off but I know I have to go. I just wish they would knock you out when they do it. i'd even pay.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chloe O'brien For This Useful Post:

lizann (26-01-2013), Siobhan (31-05-2010)

My last one was a breeze because the doctor spent about 10 mins. chatting to me before we actually got started, just about general things, kids, holidays etc... we were so deep in conversation that she did it before i realised what was happening. do you think you could start a conversation with the doc first?

Thread Information