Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Accused (New Drama frm Jimmy McGovern)

Monday 13 December
    9.00-10.00pm BBC ONE
    www.bbc.co.uk/drama

Spoiler:
    Kenny (Marc Warren) is in the dockFamily man Kenny Armstrong works at the local crematorium and now he's in the dock because he acted against his better judgment, in a drama full of complicated moral dilemmas written by Esther Wilson and Jimmy McGovern.

Kenny leads an ordinary life with his wife and children. Then one seemingly normal afternoon turns into a nightmare. The Armstrongs' daughter, Chloe, has been attacked by a man in the local park.

Fuelled with self-righteous outrage, Kenny – along with his friends, brothers Gordon and Neil Richmond – races off to search the park and find the culprit. Chloe has said that the man was wearing blue shorts and had a dog.

The men find the man described and set upon him, seriously injuring him. Kenny is horrified by the ferocity of the brothers' attack and the violence they have all perpetuated. By the time he gets home his wife Donna has called the police. They ask where he's been. Awkwardly, he lies, saying he's just been for a drink with his friends to numb the shock.

Later, the terrible consequences of the friends' action become apparent. Kenny is filled with doubts and remorse and wants to do the right thing and tell the police the truth. However, Gordon and Neil are adamant – they must keep their nerve and say nothing. Given the information they had wouldn't any parent do the same?

Now the three friends are in the dock. But Kenny has confessed and the brothers have not. So who will be convicted on the evidence presented?

amazing! certainly wasnt a dissapointment, Eccleston was great.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Katy For This Useful Post:

Chloe O'brien (17-11-2010), tammyy2j (17-11-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Katy View Post
    amazing! certainly wasnt a dissapointment, Eccleston was great.
    I have it recorded.. will watch it tomorrow... I am looking forward to it
    Super Mod

I won't spoil it for you Shiv, but Mr Eccleston did not disapoint us.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

Quote Originally Posted by Chloe O'brien View Post
    I won't spoil it for you Shiv, but Mr Eccleston did not disapoint us.
    Just want to know.. is it as good as The Street???
    Super Mod

i think so! different, but equally as good. I thought it was very very clever, with little things that kept popping up! hope ye enjoy it.

BBC ONE
    www.bbc.co.uk/drama

Spoiler:
    Alison (Naomie Harris) relationship with Ben (Andrew Knott) growsMother-of-two Alison Wade is in the dock and facing serious charges. She's in a state of shock and disbelief, in the final gritty drama by Jimmy McGovern.

Alison works at a special needs care centre. She's married to David and they adore their two young children, Hannah and Tom. But their relationship is under strain. David's been made redundant and is now looking after the children full time.

Alison has a growing relationship with Ben, a work colleague. When she is due to go away on a weekend course Alison has a drink with Ben instead, misses her train and spends the time with him. Once home it becomes obvious she has not been away on the course.

David and Alison struggle on but doubts about her faithfulness are always there. Bitterness and recriminations grow. They reach a head when Alison returns home one night after blatantly going for a drink with Ben; David commits a heinous crime against his wife.

She tells him to leave and he returns to his father, Gordon's, house. But the Wades' feud has only just begun. David's bereft when separated from daily contact with his children. Gordon, a police sergeant, hates seeing his son's heartbreak, and before long the two have conspired against Alison – but can she fight back and who will get custody of the children?

Now the jury has heard incriminating evidence against her but will it stand up?

Finally got to see this on Friday.. it is amazing.. recording tonight's one as I am away
    Super Mod

BBC defends Accused army bullying drama

A controversial BBC drama which explores bullying among British troops in Afghanistan will be broadcast tonight despite heavy criticism from senior army staff.

Part of a six-part series on the theme of crime and punishment, Accused, by Jimmy McGovern, follows a lance corporal who encourages bullying within his unit in a bid to transform them into killers. This leads to one of the young soldiers portrayed in the drama committing suicide.

Chief of the general staff General Sir Peter Wall complained to BBC director general Mark Thompson, labelling the drama “deeply offensive” and “distasteful” to serving soldiers and their families, adding that the programme was “misleading and inaccurate”.

Colonel Tim Collins also criticised the drama in an interview with the Radio Times, claiming: “there is no point to Accused except to try to shock”. He also added that he was worried “the parents and partners of soldiers serving in Afghanistan will regard this as in some way believable”.

The BBC has, however, emphasised that Accused is a work of fiction and that it did not intend to offend those serving in Afghanistan, with a spokesperson for the corporation quoted as saying: “In the promotion of this new drama series by award-winning writer Jimmy McGovern, it has been made clear that Accused is a work of fiction. It is in no way an attempt to denigrate the servicemen and women of the British army.”

Liverpudlian Jimmy McGovern is the Bafta-winning scriptwriter behind Cracker and Hillsborough and, in defence of Accused, he said: “As a dramatist I was interested in exploring how soldiers have to be of a certain mindset to kill. It is not my intention to slur British soldiers, for whom I have the greatest respect. At the heart of the drama is my belief in the sanctity of life.”

Actor Mackenzie Crook today defended the controversial BBC drama Accused, in which he plays a maverick, bullying Army corporal in Afghanistan.

Sir Peter Wall, head of the British Army, yesterday complained to the BBC about the Jimmy McGovern drama, calling it "deeply offensive to all those serving".

Speaking today on BBC Breakfast, Crook said: "I know it was emotive but, it's a piece of fiction, it's a drama, it's not a documentary and we weren't saying 'this is what happens in the Army'. We were saying 'what if this happened?'"

"I realised it was an emotive piece but I was never worried about it because it's a drama."

The Ministry of Defence said Sir Peter, the Chief of the General Staff, believed the episode was offensive to both troops and their families.

A spokesman said: "There are fears that those watching it will believe this is what is really happening to their loved ones.

"We have asked the BBC to make it clear that this is a fictitious programme, is not accurate and that the Army has nothing to do with making it."

Thread Information