Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Accused (New Drama frm Jimmy McGovern)

Accused (New Drama frm Jimmy McGovern)

Christopher Eccleston is being reunited with Cracker creator Jimmy McGovern for a new BBC One crime drama.

McGovern's new six-part series Accused also features Pirates Of The Caribbean and The Office actor Mackenzie Crook.

Each separate hour-long story tells how a character accused of a crime came to be in the dock.

Former Doctor Who Eccleston plays a plumber and lapsed Catholic who fails to be a faithful husband, while Crook's episode sees him portray a soldier described as "a man you need on your side".

Chris - who played the Time Lord before David Tennant - recently said that he wanted to take on more comedy roles to surprise everyone and himself.

He and McGovern previously worked together on powerful dramas Cracker and Hillsborough, while the new series also reunites the creative team behind BBC One hit The Street.

McGovern said: "It's great to work with Chris again and I've often tried in the past to get Mackenzie into something of mine.

"And, needless to say it's wonderful to reunite the team that made The Street."

The further four episodes of Accused will be filmed in and around Manchester until the end of August and other cast members are yet to be announced.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (13-05-2010), tammyy2j (13-05-2010)

This looks brilliant - can't wait to see it.

yay, McGovern is brilliant, i cant wait.

Looks a very good cast too!

It has mcGovern and the rest of the street cast so it is bound to be fantastic... so much looking forward to this
    Super Mod

It's bound to be an award winner with McGovern and Ecclestone.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chloe O'brien For This Useful Post:

Siobhan (13-05-2010), tammyy2j (13-05-2010)

Should be top class drama for bbc 1

Did I miss this or has it not been out yet?
    Super Mod

Don't think it has been shown yet

Day and time to be confirmed BBC ONE
    www.bbc.co.uk/drama

Christopher Eccleston stars in Accused, the first in a series of six new, powerful dramas written by Jimmy McGovern. Each story is about an ordinary person who ends up in the dock.

Willy is a man in turmoil. He does his best; he's a good plumber and a loving father, but he fails to be a faithful husband.

At the very moment Willy's about to drop the bombshell on his wife, Carmel, his daughter Laura arrives home and announces she's getting married. Willy's guilty secret must wait.

Shortly afterwards Willy's family are out for a celebratory dinner with Laura's well-to-do prospective in-laws. He insists on paying for everything and is humiliated when his bank card is refused. It transpires that he hasn't been paid for his last job because the company is bankrupt.

Having been comfortable for years, Willy is now worried about money. But his pride won't allow him to change what are becoming elaborate and costly wedding plans.

What's more, Willy's infidelity is getting to him and, as pressure from all sides mounts, his behaviour becomes increasingly erratic. In a moment of despair he seeks solace in a local church, but ignores the priest's straightforward advice.

When his car breaks down Willy takes a cab and finds something on the back seat that might be the answer to his prayers – or the beginning of his downfall.

But events rapidly spiral against him and Willy ends up in the dock. Now he awaits the jury's verdict. What will they decide? Guilty or innocent?

Willy is played by Christopher Eccleston, Carmel by Pooky Quesnel, Laura by Joanna Higson and the priest by Rod Arthur.

Mackenzie Crook, Juliet Stevenson, Peter Capaldi, Andy Serkis, Marc Warren, Naomie Harris, Warren Brown and, in his first leading role, Ben Smith, each star in one of the remaining episodes.

Thread Information