Thread: Issues

Issues

we are trying encourage discussion about the range of issues and stories currently being covered in soap land, this is the place for emmerdale fans to talk about the various stories like debbies secret pregnancy, diannes cancer or anything that you feel connected to

do soaps get it right???

dont forget about our resident agony aunt Sally should you need her!
    Last edited by Bad Wolf; 11-06-2005 at 16:17.

Diane's illness was great in its handling, but being a year or so younger than Debbie when she first fell pregnant, I think that this wasn't such a good storyline. There was no mention of any of the effects of pregnancy you would expect, no pain, no sickness, no anything that you are supposed to go to the doctor for etc. just: 'Oop, I'm pregnant, better hide it, perhaps it'll go away!' then nine months later, pop! Welcome to Earth, Sarah Dingle!!!

Having said that though, the birth was pretty well handled, and VERY well acted. Well done Charley Webb.

IMHO, they should have a rich character (please be Matthew, I don't hate him as SUCH, but he would be such a great candidate for a line like this) go bankrupt. And I read on Digispy that he should have a feisty young teenage daughter from an affair with a woman, who has just died and left the girl to him! That would be great! The girl would need to be very firey and fun and charismatic though, or the story might flop! But bring it on!

Soaps don't always get it right

Soaps hardly ever get things right which is why it's a shock and gripping storyline when they do!

Some really do knock the hammer on the head or so do speak but others completley don't have a clue when trying to portray certain storylines, Dianes storyline in Emmerdale was really moving and the same with Alices, these can happen to real people, where as in some storylines they just OTT.

I think Emmerdale have done it right this year actually i mean not with the big explosions, but with Alice itsvery moving and does happen in day to day life. Also The older woman pregnancy that happens as well and it does need dealing with as other soaps dont usually tackle issues./

Emmerdale

I have been watching YouTube compilations of Aaron & Jackson, it's been compelling to watch this story unfold, Aarons "coming out" mixed with his complex character. I've now reached the part where Jackson has his accident and I've stopped watching for now. Fast forward to current episodes where Aaron is in a relationship with Robert, another roller coaster of emotions of Aaron dealing with abuse and the collapse of his relationship with Robert, who is not the ideal partner for Aaron by any means. As a gay man I find the "Soap Opera" portrayals of gay relationships generally very negative and unrealistic. I've been in a same sex relationship for 37 years, I realise there are complex characters like Aaron regardless of sexuality but, it would make a change to see male gay characters with happy successful lives (with drama's of course) instead of the tragedy and unhappiness that always seems to befall them.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SteveBS9 For This Useful Post:

binky321 (12-04-2016), moonstorm (12-04-2016), Perdita (12-04-2016), Snagglepus (19-04-2016)

Thread Information