Thread: computer help / wireless

computer help / wireless

hiya everyone

This is a long shot but its worth a shot see if theres any computer genious on here.

basically i bought a new laptop today and i was setting it up to the internet by connecting it to wireless and it said i had to set it up. So i went through all the normal things like wireless network settings, finding a newtork and then connecting, it all worked and then asked me to put in a security key which it did and i entered it and it was great.

howeever, my old laptop which is on xp was connected to the wireless fine wont connect anymore because it says that the security password is not right even though it is working on this other one, and its still working ok on the desktop upstairs to.

i really have no idea why it has just decided to stop working. help! xxx

I know this may sound basic but have you tried re-entering the code on the old laptop.

yes, i have entered it and it comes up with an error message that says the code is in the wrong format or something. I m hoping its just something really siomple. I may try and reset that passwords later on the upstairs computer.

You could try deleting the connection completely then searching for it again and put the password in.
    Thanks CrazyLea

Quote Originally Posted by Katy View Post
    yes, i have entered it and it comes up with an error message that says the code is in the wrong format or something. I m hoping its just something really siomple. I may try and reset that passwords later on the upstairs computer.
    Could be that one code is WEP and the other WPA although I dont understand why it would change when you added another computer to the network. After all if a friend called in with their laptop you could connect them to your network

yes thats what i thought Alan, its very odd, i think i am gonig to have to phone netgear, its baffled me completley.

Thanks for your help, ill be sure to let you guys know when i figure out the problem.

Katy.. this happens in my house.. this laptop connects fine to wireless every time but my partners laptop he has to remove and readd at least once a month to get it working.. he gave up in the end.. we checked everything and couldn't find anything wrong
    Super Mod

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Siobhan For This Useful Post:

Katy (25-04-2010)

I fixed it, it was to do with the ages of the computers as one was on XP and the new one is on 7, i had to download a microsoft hotfix.

Thanks for all your help.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Katy For This Useful Post:

alan45 (27-04-2010)

Thread Information