Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Luther

Luther

Idris Elba stars in Neil Cross's six-part series Luther, a psychological crime thriller that takes a new look at the detective genre on BBC One.

Elba, best known for his performance in the award-winning HBO series The Wire, playing drug kingpin Russell "Stringer" Bell, now finds himself on the other side of the law as John Luther, a near-genius murder detective whose brilliant mind cannot always save him from the dangerous violence of his passions.

Joining Elba in the cast are Ruth Wilson, Steven Macintosh, Paul McGann and Warren Brown.

Creator and writer Neil Cross is an acclaimed suspense novelist and was lead writer on two series of BBC One's Spooks.

"I'm delighted that BBC One is bringing Luther to life," he says. "It's an intense psychological thriller which examines not only human depravity but the complex nature of love … and how it's often this – our finest attribute – that leads us into darkness."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

lizann (21-04-2010)

Episode One

DCI John Luther returns to work after a spell of leave following the traumatic arrest of the serial killer Henry Madsen.

Luther's first case is investigating the murder of the parents of child genius, Alice Morgan. He quickly deduces that Alice is responsible for the deaths, but the seemingly perfect crime leaves no evidence with which to convict Alice.

Outside of work Luther is trying to win back his wife now he's got his life back on track. She has moved, on however, and has a new man in her life – Mark, who is the antithesis of Luther. Will Luther be able to save his fractured marriage to Zoe?

As the murder case proceeds, Luther realises he has become Alice's next project and that Zoe is in danger – because he dared to question Alice's brilliance.

Luther and Alice seem to have a strange connection – both extraordinarily intelligent – they verbally spar with each other and seem to delight in the competition.

Luther's brilliant mind soon works out how Alice managed to kill her parents without leaving a trace but without the evidence of the gun, there is nothing he can do. On this occasion, it seems Alice has won but Luther refuses to give up.

In the meantime, unbeknown to Luther, Alice has tracked down Henry Madsen to his hospital bedside where he lies in a coma. But what does she intend to do now that she has found him?

Episode Two

Luther is called to the shooting of two uniformed police officers. The murders are cold blooded but appear motiveless.

Luther quickly realises that the killer is a soldier and that he seems to be targeting anyone wearing a police uniform.

With Ripley's help, Luther identifies the killer as Owen Lynch but not before they are called to the scene of another police shooting. Three more police officers are gunned down.

Meanwhile, Alice has been investigating Luther and to his horror, seems to know what happened to Madsen during his arrest. She baits him further by asking what Zoe would think if she knew the truth.

Concerned for her safety, Luther urges Zoe to leave London as he fears Alice will come after her again but Zoe refuses to believe him.

Trying to uncover the killer's motives, Luther discovers that Owen is taking his orders from his father, Terry Lynch, a convicted police killer.

Terry wants his sentence squashed and is threatening further deaths unless his terms are met.

Determined to flush Owen out, Luther gives a taunting television interview, ensuring that all of Owen's anger and hatred is focused on him. However, in an effort to catch his killer, has Luther just signed his own death warrant?

When does it start? I've seen it advertised on BBC 1

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    When does it start? I've seen it advertised on BBC 1
    Luther begins on BBC One on May 4

I can see this being a cracking drama.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

In a very small country with canals and bikes and windmills and tulips
    this guy who plays Luther(Idris Elba) was in Guy Richies ROCK n ROLLA,, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1032755/
    He was interviewed on One Show last week... I am looking forward to seeing this program :-)

This one looks fantastic!!

Tuesday 1 June
    9.00-10.00pm BBC ONE and BBC HD

* www.bbc.co.uk/luther

Spoiler:
    When an art dealer's wife is taken hostage at gunpoint, Luther leads a tense investigation, as the dark psychological thriller continues.

The hostage takers want payment in diamonds so, stalling for time, Luther substitutes a bag of replacement diamonds from the Serious Crime Unit's evidence safe. Luther and DCI Reed are on hand to arrest the gang members picking up the gems, but when everything starts to unravel Luther begins to suspect that even Reed has double-crossed him.

Luther tries to persuade Reed that between them they can make it work, but Reed knows it is only a matter of time before Luther has to give him up. Terrified and distraught, Reed goes to the only person he knows Luther will listen to – Zoe.

DCI John Luther is played by Idris Elba, DCI Ian Reed by Steven Mackintosh and Zoe Luther by Indira Varma. This episode also features Thomas Lockyer as art dealer James Carrodus; Donatienne Dupont as his wife, Jessica; Ross McCall as hostage taker Daniel Sugarman; Danny Lee Wynter as Tom Meyer; and Alexander Morton as Bill Winingham.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (13-05-2010)

In a very small country with canals and bikes and windmills and tulips
    I totally love this program !!!!!!!!!!!! it is so intense , its dark, its just terrific,, if any one has not started to watch this program it is SOOOOOOOOO worth watching :-) Ruth Wilson is great as Mary Morgan ,,

I need to catch this on iplayer as it clashes with CSI. Anyone watching Strike back on Sky1

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

Thread Information