Thread: Who to write to?!

Who to write to?!

Today I closed an account and took out some money with a certain building society.
    I had taken my passport with me but they didn't ask for no identification whatsoever, no security questions either!
    Surely this is not right?! People should be required to show identification or anyone could go and close an account and take out some money.. Yes?

Who do I complain too? I thought about writing to the building society but then thought it would keep the problem internally which may not produce efficient results so thought I should go to the big guys so they know that this should really be monitored!

Thank-you for your help in advance!

Try these people:-

[email protected]

consumer helpline on 0300 123 9 123

They are Financial Ombudsman Srvice

I think you are completely correct in wanting to complain - anyone could have cleared out your account.

Let us know how you get on??

3. The Following User Says Thank You to moonstorm For This Useful Post:

.:SpIcYsPy:. (20-04-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by .:SpIcYsPy:. View Post
    Today I closed an account and took out some money with a certain building society.
    I had taken my passport with me but they didn't ask for no identification whatsoever, no security questions either!
    Surely this is not right?! People should be required to show identification or anyone could go and close an account and take out some money.. Yes?

Who do I complain too? I thought about writing to the building society but then thought it would keep the problem internally which may not produce efficient results so thought I should go to the big guys so they know that this should really be monitored!

Thank-you for your help in advance!
    You probably stand a better chance by writing to the Branch Manager of the building society where you had your account and copy it to the big guys, this will give the local branch a chance to carry out an investigation, maybe they have a member of staff who did not work in accordance with rules and regulations and that will be dealt with far better on a local level than by big guys, they will only pass it down the chain anyway.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

.:SpIcYsPy:. (20-04-2010)

I feel quite stupid as I just realised I didn't take her name! I do remember that she had 'mousy blonde' long hair though :|

Can you go back to the branch, pretend to pick up a leaflet or so, if need be and find out? There might be more than one employee there with mousy blonde long hair

Banks always have CCTV so as long as you remember the time you were served, they will be able to pull the footage and see who served you. Depending on the angle it might show what you both did at the counter (or what you didn't do)
    Thanks CrazyLea

I think your best option would be to write to the building society themselves and if you are still not happy, then try the ombudsmen, Good Luck.

Thread Information