Coronation Street star Katherine Kelly has revealed that she is hoping to adopt a child in the future.

The actress first considered the idea years ago and recently learned more about the practicalities involved when she attended a meeting with the Manchester Adoption Society to research a new Weatherfield storyline.

In tonight's episodes of the ITV1 soap, Kelly's hellraising character Becky McDonald and husband Steve (Simon Gregson) attend an 'Introduction to Adoption' meeting together following Becky's two miscarriages.

Speaking to Celebs On Sunday, Kelly explained: "I'd love to have children. But I've always thought I'd possibly adopt. When I went to the meeting with the Manchester Adoption Society, that emphasised it.

"I just thought, 'Yep, 100% I would do it'. I hope I'm in the position one day where I can. I'm an all-or-nothing person, so I think I'm more suited to adoption than fostering."

Discussing the Manchester Adoption Society, she continued: "The people I met there were brilliant. They went through the process with me. I was thinking, 'Would Becky be able to adopt?' But they said the two main things they look for are stability in a family and a lot of back-up at home, which Becky and Steve have with Roy, Hayley and Liz.

"If you have a criminal record, but it's an isolated incident a long time ago and there's no history of physical violence, they don't hold it against you. They want people to adopt because there are so many children available."