Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Masood Ahmed (Nitin Ganatra)

I like Massod I hate Zainab

EastEnders airs a dramatic set of episodes for the Masood family next week as the day of Tamwar and Afia's Mehndi arrives and tension between Masood and Yusef leads to another showdown. Having been banned from all of his son's celebrations, Masood is heartbroken over the situation with his family and is convinced that the union between Tamwar and Afia should not take place as Yusef is dangerous. Storming into the Mehndi to put a stop to the young couple's plans, Masood is left stunned as Tamwar blurts out that it's too late as he's already married to Afia. Is this another triumph for the scheming Yusef? And what's next for the warring Masoods? We recently caught up with Nitin Ganatra, who plays Masood, to hear more.

What do you make of all the recent drama for Masood and Zainab?
    "I think the characters have evolved now. I remember that when Bryan Kirkwood came in as executive producer, in one of my first meetings with him I said, 'Let's explore Masood - I don't think that he's ever really been explored in any depth'. Now, bringing Yusef into the equation has allowed us to look at both Masood and Zainab in a different light. People like Nina Wadia and myself like to be stimulated by what we do, so with Bryan's influence, we decided to explore a much darker Masood - but still remain true to his character. Masood is still essentially a good guy, but he's forced into a situation where he has to protect his family and he could overstep the mark."

What is it about Yusef that has got under Masood's skin so much?
    "I think it's a lot more than petty jealousy in this case. Masood firmly believes that Yusef is a man who set fire to his wife, so the jeopardy is very high and I think that's why you can explore a darker side to Masood. But, of course, Masood is the only person who believes that Yusef did that! Masood saved Zainab that day and it provides a very romantic backstory for the characters. In conversations with Bryan, I've said, 'This is what keeps Masood and Zainab in love'."

Why do you think Zainab has changed her mind about Yusef so quickly?
    "Well, I think Zainab still isn't sure whether Yusef was directly responsible for the fire. He says that it was just his family. But the stakes are high and if this was just two men fighting over one woman, I think Masood would have enough wit and confidence to be able to handle that and joke it off. But because this is the man who nearly killed his wife, Masood's cause is getting bigger and bigger."

Do you prefer this sort of drama to the more comedic scenes we can sometimes expect from Masood?
    "Well, my background is both comedy and drama so it's great to be able to swing between the two. Most of the stage work I've done has been drama, while most of the telly stuff has been comedy, so I'm lucky that I've been able to do both here. With this storyline, I'm enjoying having to find a different gear. It's revitalised my interest in the character and reignited something in me."

In the week of the Mehndi, Masood has truly been banished from the family, hasn't he?
    "He's become more and more isolated. It's a real Pandora situation, where he's the only person who sees the truth but nobody believes him. I think there's a real heroic quality in Masood here - he has the potential to be one of the last great heroes. Not in a butch way, but in a dignified way - he would go as far as it takes to protect his family and do the right thing."

Does Masood have a game plan?
    "Essentially, his main aim is not losing his wife and his family. He's also trying to protect his son from Yusef. Masood thinks, 'This man set my wife on fire, so what could he possibly do to my son? And what if Tamwar and Afia have children? What else would Yusef have planned?' It's quite an interesting dilemma for Masood. We've seen the garage thing backfire, but it's still very personal between Yusef and Masood."

How does Masood feel about being banned from all of Tamwar and Afia's celebrations?
    "It's heartbreaking. Zainab is going along with it, but it's all been manipulated by Yusef. At the moment, Zainab is taking sleeping pills that have been given to her by Yusef, and people may not realise that they're affecting her judgement on things. And are they really sleeping tablets?! Zainab tells everyone that Masood can't attend because of a family emergency abroad - I think Zainab's first worry is always what the community will think. But Masood isn't quite so interested in that - this is about his family and he puts his family first."

And we see Masood turn up at the Mehndi uninvited, don't we?
    "Yeah, Ian really sticks the knife in at The Vic and humiliates Masood in a very quiet, intimate way - calling him a loser. Ian says that Masood couldn't go through with it with Jane, and he can't go through with it with this either! Masood also sees the procession on the Square and he's so lonely, so isolated - it's very sad. After all that, he makes the decision to walk into the Mehndi."

That causes Tamwar to reveal that he's already married to Afia - how does Masood react to that?
    "It's a big cliffhanger moment when Tamwar reveals this, but Masood doesn't say anything, which surprised me. I wondered why he wouldn't say anything after everything that's happened, but he's just completely deflated. He's destroyed - his whole world has just collapsed. He charges in hoping to stop the wedding, only to discover that he's been led astray by his son as well. In the past year or so, he's been led astray by Syed, he's been led astray by Zainab and now he's been led astray by Tamwar. What a family! That's pretty horrible for Masood - Tamwar was his last hope and he's been lied to so many times."

Does Masood have what it takes to ever get the upper hand with Yusef? Are they well-matched?
    "The way I always describe them is as two dogs on a leash! If you let them go, they will go for each other - they're like boys in the playground. Masood is much more emotional and reactive than Yusef, but the warehouse thing also proved Masood to be quite manipulative as well. If they could, I think they'd love to have a big punch-up to sort it out! I think they've got it right with this one - I think most men would fight to save their family, even knowing he was likely to lose. When EastEnders works best is when everyone relates to the character and feels they would do the same in the same situation. I think that's happened a lot with the Masoods, because they're a domestic unit and their situations touch people's lives, no matter what culture they're from."

In a very small country with canals and bikes and windmills and tulips
    Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    I like Massod I hate Zainab

Me tooo me tooo LizAnn

EastEnders' Masood Ahmed faces a race against time to save his family this week as Yusef Khan's evil scheming escalates.

When Zainab (Nina Wadia) makes a desperate attempt to get out of the planned move to Pakistan, Yusef (Ace Bhatti) fights back by taking Kamil away from her and refusing to reveal where he is until she is a more obedient wife.

Masood is horrified to discover that his son is no longer on the Square and initially suspects that Zainab is trying to stop him from seeing the youngster before the move. However, he soon discovers the ordeal that Zainab is suffering at Yusef's hands.

In the run-up to EastEnders' explosive Christmas episodes, Masood must figure out a way to beat the odds and save both Kamil and Zainab. Will he be successful?

Here, Nitin Ganatra - who plays Masood - chats to Digital Spy about the storyline.

How do you feel about playing such a big part in EastEnders' Christmas storyline this year?
    "It's very exciting to get a big Christmas plot! I think EastEnders is the most exciting show to be a part of at Christmas. It's also flattering that our executive producer Bryan Kirkwood and the storyliners feel that these characters can carry Christmas episodes. I'm very, very happy."

Masood seems to have taken a bit of a step back when it comes to Zainab recently. Why is that?
    "Well, I think Masood has been pushed to the end of his rope where Zainab is concerned! There's only so much that a man can take. I think finally he just gave up and thought, 'Do what you want'. I think that's a very human thing. Like the best characters, Masood isn't perfect - and that's what makes him interesting.

"I think the storyliners would have done Masood a discredit if they'd just kept him as the nice guy. Not only would that be boring to play, it would be boring to write for. What's nice about Masood is that he can be quite funny, but he can also be quite dark. He's multifaceted and that means that he's not predictable. On the street, I'm being applauded for leaving Zainab and people are telling me, 'Let them make their own mess!'"

With Zainab out of the picture, how strong are Masood's feelings for Jane?
    "I think it's nice that we've seen Masood seek out his own happiness, and people on the street are also applauding me for going off with Jane! Jane is his best friend and he definitely has strong feelings for her. I think there's split opinions among the viewers, as some people really like Masood and Zainab together, and others really like Masood and Jane.

"I do think Masood really loves Jane and he cares about her. It also seems a lot more effortless with Jane - there's no real strain in their relationship. We've been building up to this for about two years now, so it's lovely to go back to it."

How is Masood feeling about Zainab's plans to take Kamil to Pakistan with her?
    "I think, by this point, Masood has accepted being separated from Zainab - but what he can't accept is losing his family, especially Kamil. So that's what is troubling him the most at the moment - he knows that the family all moving away will break his heart."

What happens when Masood discovers Yusef has taken Kamil away?
    "Masood goes crazy over this! I've got kids myself, and I know I'd react the same way if I found out that some other guy had taken my child to somebody's house who the child doesn't even know. Masood is still the only person who can see Yusef for what he really is, so he goes into a blind panic over the situation.

"Masood calls in the police, and they make sure that Kamil is safe, but we're left to wonder if he will stay that way. The police say that they can't get involved in domestic disputes, so Masood says, 'Well, what about the father's rights? If a mother reported this, you'd see it as kidnap'. I thought that was a great line and really interesting - I think in that moment, Masood's representing a lot of fathers who have separated or divorced and don't have access to their children in the same way."

What can you tell us about Masood discovering Yusef's abuse of Zainab?
    "At first, Masood is quite suspicious of Zainab and thinks that she's trying to stop him from seeing Kamil. But when he talks to Denise, he starts to see things differently. It's been really, really good to work with Diane Parish as Masood doesn't often get to mix with the other characters.

"Masood tells Denise, 'It's just another one of Zainab's dramas', but then there comes a point where he sees bruises on Zainab. Then Masood becomes very concerned for Zainab in a very genuine way. It also might reignite something between the two of them as well, as they have to work together to solve these problems."

Is it hard for Masood when he can't rescue Zainab straight away?
    "Definitely. Masood says to her, 'I could save you now - but we have to put our son first'. With Kamil still away, they can't let Yusef know that anything is amiss, so that means Zainab has to go back to the lion's den. It's such a painful decision for Masood to make, because he'd love to jump in there and beat the hell out of Yusef, but that could mean that Yusef would hurt Kamil. Masood has to risk Zainab's life in order to protect Kamil, so you can see how high the drama gets in these episodes.

"It's such a complex drama to play out, and the writers and the storyliners have done an amazing job on it. The build-up is great - and this is only the episodes running up to Christmas Eve, where they're trying to find Kamil. There's lots happening on Christmas Day and Boxing Day too."

What can you say about the explosive Christmas Day and Boxing Day episodes?
    "Well, what's great about these Christmas episodes is that they build and build and build. Soaps can sometimes put all of their eggs in one basket for Christmas Day and it can become a very sensationalist episode. But this hasn't been blocked out in that way. Instead, we're building the drama and even Christmas Day builds up to Boxing Day. The episodes are really good and I'm really proud of them.

"What you'll see is that on Christmas Eve, just when you think that it's okay, it goes wrong. On Christmas Day, it's the same - it goes wrong again as there's another twist. And then on Boxing Day, it's really explosive and there's a big spectacle. But I'm not allowed to say any more than that!"

Have you had a chance to watch any of the episodes back yet?
    "I haven't, as I tend to just watch the episodes as they go out, so I've only seen what we've filmed. But I know they're great and they're not as sensationalist as you might expect. It's clever storylining and a clever script. With every episode, you just can't wait to see the next one."

Masood and Syed seem to be on better terms these days. Moving forward, do you think that could be explored more or does Masood fully accept him now?
    "At the moment I'm not sure as it hasn't been discussed, but I would like to do more with Syed. I think the Syed and Zainab story has been very, very strong and has been explored in-depth, but I haven't really had a chance to do father/son stuff. I look forward to exploring that.

"At the moment, they have spoken but I'm not really sure where the two characters are at. But I do have some lovely scenes with Tamwar coming up. It's not often we get scenes with just the two of us, but when we do, I really, really enjoy it."

How are you spending the holidays?
    "I'm not going to be here for the Christmas episodes going out, but I'm sure that I'll start receiving texts and phone calls if they're good! It's my first holiday in five years - I'm off to Mauritius and I'm looking forward to it!"
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

JustJodi (19-12-2011)

In a very small country with canals and bikes and windmills and tulips
    EXPLOSIVE seems to be the operative word LOL sounds good :-) I really like Masood :-)

EastEnders fans get a glimpse of Masood Ahmed's mischievous past next week as his younger brother AJ arrives in Walford.

AJ (Phaldut Sharma) is a cheeky chancer who never misses an opportunity for excitement, and with Zainab away at a Minute Mart brand event for a few days, Masood seizes the opportunity to enjoy some childish fun. However, it's not long until the pair inadvertently cross bad boy Derek Branning…

Digital Spy recently caught up with Nitin Ganatra, who plays Masood, to hear about the latest developments for his screen family.

How do you feel about Masood's brother AJ joining EastEnders?
    "It's great! I always feel very confident, happy and excited about having a new character to play against, but especially if it's a family member - because the Masoods are always about family.

"The viewers may remember that I did have scenes with an older brother a long time ago - a character called Inzamam. But this time they've brought in a younger brother to stir up Masood's life, and that has exciting prospects."

Has AJ's arrival been in the pipeline for a while?
    "Yes, they did say a while ago that it's what they were planning. We went through a list of ideas of how it would affect Masood, what their relationship would be - and then of course, who would be best to play that part."

You've worked with Phaldut Sharma before, haven't you?
    "Yes I have, and I thoroughly recommended Phaldut's work. I've worked with him several times - on a short film called The Drop, a comedy series for Channel 4 called Meet The Magoons and also in theatre, in a show called To Eat With Your Fingers.

"So we've worked together many, many times - particularly in comedy. Given that they wanted Masood and AJ to be very funny together and get up to all sorts of shenanigans, I couldn't think of anyone more perfect to play the part."

Had Masood and AJ lost touch in recent years?
    "They did lose touch, and I think there's a backstory emerging where they had a falling out, due to Zainab having a bitter argument with AJ's wife about something or other! It's still not clear exactly what, but these things tend to unravel as the character evolves. It's been three years since they've spoken, so it is a reunion for them."

© BBC

How will AJ's arrival impact Masood?
    "Well, what's interesting for me as an actor is that AJ's arrival allows us to see what Masood was like before he got married. At the moment, Masood only exists from the point he got married to Zainab - as that's all we really know about him.

"So by opening this door, you get to see what Masood was like in his childhood and as a teenager. Masood did have a naughty streak - he was in a band with his brother, and they got up to mischief. Masood is the sort of character who has been put on the straight and narrow after getting married. But prior to that, he was a teenager like any other - getting into trouble, and that was in cahoots with his brother AJ!"

Does Masood wish he was a bit more like carefree AJ?
    "Well, after 29 years of being settled down, Masood looks at a carefree younger brother with no responsibilities, no children and no stress of having to provide for a family. So I think in the back of his mind, he longs for the life that AJ is living.

"Similarly, I think AJ longs for what Masood has. AJ is suffering from loneliness, he hasn't had kids, and when we see him, we discover that he's having marital problems. So I think they want each other's lives, which is quite a nice dynamic to play."

Is there lots of tension between Zainab and AJ?
    "Yeah, I think we're going to have some fun scenes between those two! It's not necessarily that Zainab doesn't like AJ, it's just that whenever he's around, Masood gets into trouble. He's that kind of brother and they have that kind of relationship. There's also some animosity due to the emerging backstory between Zainab and AJ's wife."

© BBC

Derek Branning also gives Masood and AJ some grief next week. Is Masood intimidated by Derek, or does he stand up to him?
    "Masood is one of those characters who, when forced to stand up for himself, he will. He'd do anything for a quiet life, but if his family gets threatened - as you saw at Christmas - he'll do anything.

"But the falling-out with Derek is actually quite a funny storyline - it's not anything too dark or shady. It's to do with the fact that AJ and Masood get up to their antics, run around the Square in a shopping trolley and break the wing mirror on Derek's car. He wants it fixed, but it's not Masood who gets the black eye, let's put it that way!"

It's fair to say that we saw a darker side to Masood last year. Are you hoping that isn't forgotten about?
    "I do hope we get to see more range in Masood, yes. It was really fun for me to explore a darker side, because it just means that the character doesn't become too predictable. What's lovely about Masood and what keeps me interested as an actor is that he can play light and dark - he's a very flexible, malleable character.

"That's exciting for me to play. There is a lot of light and dark, and I think at the moment we are concentrating on the lighter side. But I have a feeling that it may get dark again…"

Masood and Zainab also set a date for their wedding next week. Will it be a low-key occasion or a big ceremony?
    "I don't know - the Masood and Zainab wedding has been much debated! I think there was a point where it was going to be low-key, but I know that Nina and I would love to do a big Bollywood dance number. Well, Nina would!

"None of that has resolved itself yet, so we don't know where the wedding is going to go yet. They're keeping us in the dark over that, so it'll be a nice surprise either way."

Were you sad to see Meryl Fernandes (Afia) leave the show recently?
    "Yes of course, because we all work together so closely and we have such fun. We do behave like a real family at times. It was a big surprise to see Afia go and I don't think any of us saw it coming, but I'm sure in the story office there's a huge, big jigsaw that they're busy putting together.

"It was very emotional and we were all a bit teary-eyed on her leaving day. It was especially emotional for Himesh [Patel], as they'd been working very closely together."

© BBC

Our readers are still very passionate about Christian and Syed. Can we expect to see them interacting with the family more?
    "I don't know for sure, but I think they're working on a story for them at the moment, so I think there will be more of them interacting with the family.

"Zainab and Masood have accepted Christian now, as we saw in the scene where they all sat round the dinner table and did a toast. So I think the animosity has gone and the story has developed. I haven't seen any scripts yet, but I hope the Masoods will be much more of a big family with a delinquent uncle, gay son and their gay son's boyfriend. A typical Asian household in Albert Square!"

What's the atmosphere like on set with the new boss Lorraine Newman in charge?
    "Everyone seems quite chirpy and happy. Lorraine has been on this show for such a long time - she knows EastEnders like the back of her hand, so everyone feels very confident and happy because we're in safe hands.

"Lorraine knows the show so well and everybody knows Lorraine, so it doesn't feel like a new boss, to be honest. You can trust her opinion on things because she knows the characters so well."

Is there also buzz on set with Letitia Dean being back as Sharon?
    "Yeah, there is a buzz with Letitia being back. Obviously I'm not even sure if I'll get to work with her, because I don't know whether Masood and Sharon will ever cross paths. It would be great if they do, but if you watch the show carefully, there are a lot of characters who actually never get to meet each other.

"We pass each other in the corridor as actors, but I've never done a scene with Michael Moon, for example. And when Lacey Turner was in the show, in the three years that I'd known her, I think I'd said about one sentence to her as a character. But I do hope that myself and Letitia get to work together - we'll have to wait and see!"

EastEnders fans get a glimpse of Masood Ahmed's mischievous past next week as his younger brother AJ arrives in Walford.

AJ (Phaldut Sharma) is a cheeky chancer who never misses an opportunity for excitement, and with Zainab away at a Minute Mart brand event for a few days, Masood seizes the opportunity to enjoy some childish fun. However, it's not long until the pair inadvertently cross bad boy Derek Branning…

Digital Spy recently caught up with Nitin Ganatra, who plays Masood, to hear about the latest developments for his screen family.

How do you feel about Masood's brother AJ joining EastEnders?
    "It's great! I always feel very confident, happy and excited about having a new character to play against, but especially if it's a family member - because the Masoods are always about family.

"The viewers may remember that I did have scenes with an older brother a long time ago - a character called Inzamam. But this time they've brought in a younger brother to stir up Masood's life, and that has exciting prospects."

Has AJ's arrival been in the pipeline for a while?
    "Yes, they did say a while ago that it's what they were planning. We went through a list of ideas of how it would affect Masood, what their relationship would be - and then of course, who would be best to play that part."

You've worked with Phaldut Sharma before, haven't you?
    "Yes I have, and I thoroughly recommended Phaldut's work. I've worked with him several times - on a short film called The Drop, a comedy series for Channel 4 called Meet The Magoons and also in theatre, in a show called To Eat With Your Fingers.

"So we've worked together many, many times - particularly in comedy. Given that they wanted Masood and AJ to be very funny together and get up to all sorts of shenanigans, I couldn't think of anyone more perfect to play the part."

Had Masood and AJ lost touch in recent years?
    "They did lose touch, and I think there's a backstory emerging where they had a falling out, due to Zainab having a bitter argument with AJ's wife about something or other! It's still not clear exactly what, but these things tend to unravel as the character evolves. It's been three years since they've spoken, so it is a reunion for them."

How will AJ's arrival impact Masood?
    "Well, what's interesting for me as an actor is that AJ's arrival allows us to see what Masood was like before he got married. At the moment, Masood only exists from the point he got married to Zainab - as that's all we really know about him.

"So by opening this door, you get to see what Masood was like in his childhood and as a teenager. Masood did have a naughty streak - he was in a band with his brother, and they got up to mischief. Masood is the sort of character who has been put on the straight and narrow after getting married. But prior to that, he was a teenager like any other - getting into trouble, and that was in cahoots with his brother AJ!"

Does Masood wish he was a bit more like carefree AJ?
    "Well, after 29 years of being settled down, Masood looks at a carefree younger brother with no responsibilities, no children and no stress of having to provide for a family. So I think in the back of his mind, he longs for the life that AJ is living.

"Similarly, I think AJ longs for what Masood has. AJ is suffering from loneliness, he hasn't had kids, and when we see him, we discover that he's having marital problems. So I think they want each other's lives, which is quite a nice dynamic to play."

Is there lots of tension between Zainab and AJ?
    "Yeah, I think we're going to have some fun scenes between those two! It's not necessarily that Zainab doesn't like AJ, it's just that whenever he's around, Masood gets into trouble. He's that kind of brother and they have that kind of relationship. There's also some animosity due to the emerging backstory between Zainab and AJ's wife."
    Derek Branning also gives Masood and AJ some grief next week. Is Masood intimidated by Derek, or does he stand up to him?
    "Masood is one of those characters who, when forced to stand up for himself, he will. He'd do anything for a quiet life, but if his family gets threatened - as you saw at Christmas - he'll do anything.

"But the falling-out with Derek is actually quite a funny storyline - it's not anything too dark or shady. It's to do with the fact that AJ and Masood get up to their antics, run around the Square in a shopping trolley and break the wing mirror on Derek's car. He wants it fixed, but it's not Masood who gets the black eye, let's put it that way!"

It's fair to say that we saw a darker side to Masood last year. Are you hoping that isn't forgotten about?
    "I do hope we get to see more range in Masood, yes. It was really fun for me to explore a darker side, because it just means that the character doesn't become too predictable. What's lovely about Masood and what keeps me interested as an actor is that he can play light and dark - he's a very flexible, malleable character.

"That's exciting for me to play. There is a lot of light and dark, and I think at the moment we are concentrating on the lighter side. But I have a feeling that it may get dark again…"

Masood and Zainab also set a date for their wedding next week. Will it be a low-key occasion or a big ceremony?
    "I don't know - the Masood and Zainab wedding has been much debated! I think there was a point where it was going to be low-key, but I know that Nina and I would love to do a big Bollywood dance number. Well, Nina would!

"None of that has resolved itself yet, so we don't know where the wedding is going to go yet. They're keeping us in the dark over that, so it'll be a nice surprise either way."

Were you sad to see Meryl Fernandes (Afia) leave the show recently?
    "Yes of course, because we all work together so closely and we have such fun. We do behave like a real family at times. It was a big surprise to see Afia go and I don't think any of us saw it coming, but I'm sure in the story office there's a huge, big jigsaw that they're busy putting together.

"It was very emotional and we were all a bit teary-eyed on her leaving day. It was especially emotional for Himesh [Patel], as they'd been working very closely together."

Our readers are still very passionate about Christian and Syed. Can we expect to see them interacting with the family more?
    "I don't know for sure, but I think they're working on a story for them at the moment, so I think there will be more of them interacting with the family.

"Zainab and Masood have accepted Christian now, as we saw in the scene where they all sat round the dinner table and did a toast. So I think the animosity has gone and the story has developed. I haven't seen any scripts yet, but I hope the Masoods will be much more of a big family with a delinquent uncle, gay son and their gay son's boyfriend. A typical Asian household in Albert Square!"

What's the atmosphere like on set with the new boss Lorraine Newman in charge?
    "Everyone seems quite chirpy and happy. Lorraine has been on this show for such a long time - she knows EastEnders like the back of her hand, so everyone feels very confident and happy because we're in safe hands.

"Lorraine knows the show so well and everybody knows Lorraine, so it doesn't feel like a new boss, to be honest. You can trust her opinion on things because she knows the characters so well."

Is there also buzz on set with Letitia Dean being back as Sharon?
    "Yeah, there is a buzz with Letitia being back. Obviously I'm not even sure if I'll get to work with her, because I don't know whether Masood and Sharon will ever cross paths. It would be great if they do, but if you watch the show carefully, there are a lot of characters who actually never get to meet each other.

"We pass each other in the corridor as actors, but I've never done a scene with Michael Moon, for example. And when Lacey Turner was in the show, in the three years that I'd known her, I think I'd said about one sentence to her as a character. But I do hope that myself and Letitia get to work together - we'll have to wait and see!"
    Last edited by alan45; 03-07-2012 at 03:38.

EastsEnders star Nitin Ganatra has revealed that he is keen to explore Masood Ahmed's "wild side" in the coming months.

Masood will soon be a single man again as his long-time partner Zainab (Nina Wadia) bows out from Albert Square at the end of this week.

Speaking to Inside Soap, Ganatra promised that his character still has a bright future in Walford despite Zainab's departure.

Ganatra commented: "It was very sad to see the end of that relationship, but the positive side is that we can explore a new side to Masood now. I'm an optimist - when one door shuts, another will open. And I'm very excited by what our executive producer Lorraine Newman has planned.

"It'd be great to see Masood's wild side finally come out - the party animal! It's something that I've pitched to the writers, so if I talk about it enough, they might just go with it!"

He continued: "It would be nice if one of Masood's ex-girlfriends turned up and revealed what he was like in his early years, before he was a practising Muslim. It would have to be someone like, well… a shorter Uma Thurman, I reckon!"

In the meantime, Masood strikes up a bond with Carol Jackson (Lindsey Coulson) next week as he helps her out at the café.

Discussing the pair's new spark, Ganatra added: "There may well be a hint of something there. Lindsey Coulson is one of my favourite actresses. She's very funny and quirky.

"It's often the case in EastEnders that you don't get to interact with too many different characters. But now the doors are open, Masood should flirt with all the ladies!"

EastEnders airs Zainab's final episode on Friday (February 8) at 8pm on BBC One.

EastEnders star Nitin Ganatra has warned that his character Masood Ahmed won't let Carol Jackson go without a fight.

Masood and Carol (Lindsey Coulson) have enjoyed an on-off romance in recent months, but everything could change when David Wicks makes his return in September.

Fans know that Carol still has unresolved feelings for David (Michael French) after he left her without saying goodbye in early 2012.

Nitin Ganatra, who plays Masood, told Inside Soap: "His return puts a big spanner in the works for Masood and Carol.

"By that point, they're very much a proper couple, so we're going to see Masood step up and fight for Carol in a very noble way - but it doesn't make him appear too insecure."

He added: "I love working with Lindsey. She has a really weird giggle, and she pulls faces because she can never take a compliment. She also rehearses her own dialogue out loud, like a crazy lady!"

EastEnders bosses have confirmed that David makes his return with new girlfriend Naomi, played by Lisa Maxwell, who will be appearing for one episode.

EastEnders fans will see Masood make a discovery about estranged wife Zainab next week.

While talking to son Kamil via a video call, Masood (Nitin Ganatra) soon discovers he has got a new friend called Haroon.

Tamwar looks uncomfortable about this but when Masood buys presents for Kamil and his new friend, Tamwar is forced to reveal that Haroon is Zainab's new fiancé.

Viewers will know that Masood is currently in a relationship with Carol Jackson, but will the news about Zainab make him more determined to hold onto her?

Meanwhile, Carol has made a shocking discovery of her own when it becomes apparent that she has a lump on her breast.

This will be the start of a dark time for the character as it is later revealed that she has breast cancer.

EastEnders recently confirmed the storyline, which will see the return of Carol's daughter Sonia, played by Natalie Cassidy.

EastEnders airs these scenes on Tuesday, December 10 and Friday, December 13 on BBC One.

Thread Information