EastEnders star Nitin Ganatra has revealed that he wants Laurie Brett to make another return to the soap.

Brett was seen briefly reprising her role as Jane Beale earlier this month, but she is currently still a cast member on fellow BBC One show Waterloo Road.

Ganatra, who plays Masood Ahmed, told Inside Soap: "There's a chance we might be getting Laurie back, but I don't know yet. It would be great to have more scenes between Masood and Jane, though. Their friendship was so successful because they could never be together - but people were at their television sets screaming, 'Well, they should be!'

"Their relationship had the forbidden element that kept audiences hooked. If Jane returned to Walford, what would the dynamic be now? That's a tricky one to decide!"

Masood's current storyline sees him on a downward spiral following recent setbacks in his life. Ganatra admitted that he is currently unsure of how long the plot will run for.

He said: "Masood is one of the nice guys, so you're very limited with how far you can take him. But our new boss Dominic [Treadwell-Collins] has said yes to taking Masood down a darker path and seeing where it goes. That's the exciting thing about EastEnders now - we're all in the dark about the twists that the storylines will take, which is kind of nice!

"It's been great to film and we have some brilliant scenes coming up. I've been doing a lot of drunk acting, and for someone like Masood who hasn't had a drink in 25 years, it's a hard one to play. I'm not sure if I've succeeded yet!"