Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Aaron Livesy Dingle

Emmerdale's Aaron Livesy has one of the most difficult conversations of his life next week, as he bravely tells his mum Chas about how he was sexually abused as a child.

Aaron was raped by his evil father Gordon when he was younger, with the first attack taking place when he was 8 years old. So far he's only ever confided in his on-off lover Robert Sugden (Ryan Hawley) about the disturbing secret.

Next week's emotional Emmerdale episodes start off with fresh heartbreak for Aaron, as Chas (Lucy Pargeter) angrily kicks him out of The Woolpack - lashing out as she blames him for the breakdown of her relationship with Gordon.

With Aaron distraught but still unwilling to speak out, Robert secretly steps in by hinting to Chas that her son desperately needs her support right now.

Intrigued, Chas decides to spend some quality time with Aaron, arranging a trip to the seaside where she took him when she was younger.

© ITV
    Chas and Aaron spend the day together at the seaside

© ITV
    Chas and Aaron spend the day together at the seaside

Chas is delighted when she manages to put a smile back on Aaron's face, but the memories become too difficult for him as they reminisce. This prompts him to finally tell Chas the devastating truth once they're back home in the village.

© ITV
    Aaron refuses to talk to Chas about his memories until after they return home from the seaside

Chas's whole world falls apart as Aaron reveals how his dad raped him, but he's still adamant that he doesn't want anyone else to know and can't face talking to the police about it.

Danny Miller, who plays Aaron, revealed: "It's the fact that Chas has threatened to kick Aaron out that makes him tell the truth. It's like he's gone back to his childhood and Chas is picking Aaron's dad over him. It's too much of a bad memory for him.

"Aaron worries that Chas won't believe him and will just think that he's trying to split her and Gordon up. But when they have such a nice day at the seaside, he realises that he has to tell her, especially now that he's confided in Robert.

"It's also a protective move, as he doesn't fully trust that his mum is safe with Gordon. He wants to make sure that she knows who she's dealing with."

Revealing how Chas reacts, Miller continued: "It's utter shock. If she hadn't seen how distraught Aaron was, she probably wouldn't have believed him. She trusted Gordon completely, but he's betrayed that trust.

"Chas knows Aaron is not a liar and he's loyal to his family, so she knows that he's telling the truth. Her immediate reaction is to put her arms around Aaron, tell him not to worry and that it won't happen again. That's where the utter relief comes from for Aaron."

Miller and his on-screen mum Lucy Pargeter chose not to rehearse the emotional scenes, wanting their reactions to seem raw and realistic in the moment.

"Lucy said she'd rather just hear it from me in the scene and that would allow for a natural reaction," Miller explained. "We only really had one go at it. It's such a big scene, so over-rehearsing it would have taken away from the raw emotion and drama that Chas and Aaron need to play out.

"To be honest, it was one of my favourite days at Emmerdale since I've been there - from both my first and second stint. Lucy was amazing, as she always is, and I appreciated her help with the scene."

Emmerdale teamed up with the NSPCC while devising Aaron's storyline, while Miller also carried out extensive research of his own.

The plot will still have a way to go even after Aaron confides in Chas, who quickly confronts Gordon with what she now knows.

© ITV
    Chas confronts Gordon

Miller added: "I'm hoping the audience accept the storyline for what it is. It's not a way of creating more drama or just wanting to see Aaron go through more things. It's a new beginning for him, as he's revealed the reason why he is so angry. I don't know what they're planning for him now, but maybe he will be a bit more tamer now that he's got support. He might find it easier to talk things through.

"I also hope people understand that soaps are very important these days for raising awareness of issues such as this. We're doing it because it's a storyline that makes sense for why Aaron is the way he is, but it's also a good way to raise awareness of sexual assault."

Emmerdale will air Aaron and Chas's emotional heart-to-heart on Wednesday, February 3 at 7pm on ITV.

Read more at:
    http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/emme...-about-gordon/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Telly Watcher For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (26-01-2016)

He's always been one of the standout stars of the soap world, but Emmerdale fans were treated to another unforgettable performance from Danny Miller last week. In highly emotional scenes, the actor's troubled character Aaron Livesy confided in his on-off lover Robert Sugden - revealing that he was sexually abused by his father Gordon from the age of 8.

Aaron's disturbing revelation was the beginning of a long-running storyline for the show, which steps up a gear next week when he also shares the devastating secret with his mum Chas. During a break from filming this week, Danny took time out to speak to Digital Spy about exploring the difficult story - and where it's heading next.

What kind of a reaction have you seen to Aaron's recent revelation?

"Considering the nature of the storyline, the feedback has just been amazing. We're quite overwhelmed. We understood that it might hit people quite hard, but I don't think we expected such a positive reaction to us making people aware about sexual abuse in society.

"A couple of people have been in touch who are survivors of rape themselves. They've commended the story and the performances, as well as the writing and directing. So if we're helping people to speak out, or even just inspiring people to get in touch to praise the story, I think we're doing the right job."

How did you prepare for the storyline?

"I've done research with the NSPCC. Emmerdale have been working with them on the storyline and they've just been fantastic. They've provided us with lots of information, so we've been able to get a full grasp of how complex and horrible these stories are.

"I can't say too much as it has to stay confidential, but I've also spoken to real-life survivors who have helped me a lot. They've spoken to me about how they were struggling to speak out, and how they were worried they'd be judged by admitting what happened.

"Aaron's experience is just one story - there are so many stories out there that are so similar but different in other ways. But I think we're playing a story that means something to Aaron but also to everyday society."

When did you first hear the story was coming up?

"It started off from a conversation between myself and [Emmerdale's former producer] Kate Oates, which was a while ago now. Aaron had come out as gay all those years ago, but he was still very troubled and I think we needed something more to explain why he has so many problems.

"Lots of stories of historic abuse had come out in the media, so we also felt that we needed to bring something topical into the show. Kate said it was feasible that something did happen with Aaron when he was younger, so the writers and storyliners took the idea and brainstormed it together.

"When I found out that it was definitely coming up, I was excited but also quite nervous. For them to choose me to run such a big story with is just overwhelming - and they've really trusted me to crack on with it."

How far will the story go? Could there be a court case at some point?

"I don't know what the long-term plans are yet, but I know that the writers have mapped out where the story arc is going. The just outcome would be that Gordon is found guilty and sent to prison. That's only my opinion, but I think it's important that soaps show the correct way that a legal system should deal with these things. But there are plenty more twists and turns to come, so I don't know at the moment."

Gary Mavers, who plays Gordon, is playing such a difficult role. Have you enjoyed working with him?

"Gary is an absolute gent. He's a fantastic actor and great to work with. I just hope people see that he's only playing a part! I'd love him to stay in the show for as long as possible, but it's in the hands of the guys upstairs.

"I just hope people will keep watching to see how it all plays out, because it's got the potential to be a really memorable Emmerdale storyline."

Robert has been supporting Aaron really well. Could this bring them back together?

"I hope so! I love working with Ryan [Hawley, who plays Robert]. We enjoy doing our scenes and there's no doubt that Robert and Aaron have got a connection there. I'd like to think that me and Ryan have some chemistry on screen as well.

"I thought Ryan was fantastic in last week's scenes, as he always is. I think he had a really tough job, because he didn't have a lot to say when Aaron revealed his secret. He just had to sit and listen, but he made it all the more heartbreaking for Aaron and for the audience.

"But Aaron's life, regardless of what's happened, is never straightforward. He doesn't deal well with public pressure or get involved in touchy-feely stuff in public. If Aaron and Robert did get together, it'd be quite interesting to see how it all pans out. We live in hope - but we never know!"

Have you had a chance to meet Emmerdale's new producer Iain MacLeod yet?

"I met him briefly on Monday. There's a new character who's come into the show, who I'm probably not allowed to speak much about, so I won't! But I was having some rehearsals with this new character and I briefly met Iain too. He's fantastic, enthusiastic and he's excited to be working on the show. Emmerdale's in a great place at the moment, but it's also nice to have a fresh pair of hands come in and see what they can bring to it.

"Kate Brooks has also taken over as the new assistant producer and she's fantastic too. She's very open to suggestions and she's very enthusiastic with her opinions on what should happen to each character. It's all character-driven and I think that's what makes a good show, so I'm excited to see their storylines start to come in."

We have to ask on behalf of the 'Robron' fans - will Ryan ever join Twitter?!

"I've asked him about it, but Ryan's very private - he just likes to come in and get his work done. He's just not open to that social media world, which some people aren't. There are other cast members in the show who also just don't bother with it.

"I think it's quite commendable for Ryan to come in and do that, because he just wants to keep that part of his life separate. I respect him for that. I do keep jokingly trying to convince him for the fans, so I'll work at it. But I can't guarantee anything!"

By Daniel Kilkelly, Digital Spy
    http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/emme...-will-reunite/

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Telly Watcher For This Useful Post:

binky321 (28-01-2016), tammyy2j (28-01-2016)

It was one of those rare TV moments that make you shudder with unease - troubled Aaron Livesy finally revealing the kernel of his pain: the fact that he’d been raped at the age of eight by his own father Gordon.

The salient point of Aaron being so young was difficult to comprehend. No doubt I wasn’t alone among Emmerdale fans in being haunted last Thursday as Aaron recounted his trauma to Robert Sugden. And it turns out that actor Danny Miller was similarly affected by what he had to perform.

“Usually, I’m good at shutting the studio door and letting it go, but this one took me a while,” he says. “When I read the script, I did want to ring up and ask whether we were allowed to go into so much detail at that time of night. Obviously, everything had been cleared. But I did struggle with it.”

The warning signs of something dark in Aaron’s past were there for those that chose to look. After all, he’s always been the dictionary definition of a troubled soul. But the realisation that his childhood had been robbed in a stark moment of sexual brutality came as a genuine shock to viewers. So was it as tough to act as it was to watch?

“It felt raw,” he admits. “And you do add your own personal touch to it. So it took me back to when I was eight and the fact that my own dad was a man who’d always look after me and take me to the football. So it was difficult to play someone who’d had that trust broken. Aaron’s dad suddenly became a predator. He was no longer a father figure. You have to feel the emotion to get it right, even though you don’t want to think in that way.”

Telling the story responsibly is something that’s obviously important to the 25-year-old star. He talks of research undertaken with the NSPCC and the “overwhelming” reaction on social media from viewers who’ve experienced similar violence.

And those who want to know how the story progresses will be heartened to know that Aaron does pluck up the courage to open up to mum Chas in scenes to be shown next week, although he will opt – at least initially – to not involve the police. But with soaps existing in a very moral universe, it can surely only be a matter of time before Gordon gets his comeuppance?

“I think justice will be done,” Miller confirms. “But first, there has to be an admission from Gordon. Because, otherwise, it would be difficult to prove. I don’t know exactly what’s planned, but I’m sure the story team will do a fantastic job of rounding it off. The only downside is that I’ve become very close to Gary Mavers, who plays Gordon, so that would be a shame. There’s no good way out of this for him if Gordon admits to what he did. But it’s been brave of Gary to tell the story from Gordon’s point of view.”

As for what’s ahead for Aaron, I’m relieved to write that a rare sight could be on the horizon in the aftermath of this latest horror. His life so far has certainly been punctuated by misery (think self-harming, jail and the right-to-die demise of love interest Jackson), but Aaron may actually end up eventually smiling.

“Now that everything’s out in the open, I hope to see some happier times,” says a relieved-sounding Miller. “Maybe he’ll get a spring in his step. This is Aaron we’re talking about though, so you can’t change him too much. But I’m sure something will come along to help him enjoy life."

And might this involve a future with Robert, the on-off lover whose relationship with Aaron was the talk of Twitter? “I’d definitely like to see them together after all these months of them sneaking around behind people’s backs. Hopefully, they’ll have a life together. Robert needs to say that he’s gay and give Aaron a guarantee that he wants to be with him. But I want them to find peace and have some happiness.”

Having been at the forefront of Emmerdale’s plotlines since his return in 2014, I wonder also whether Miller is happy to keep playing Aaron. He did, of course, take a break at one stage to pursue roles in such dramas as Scott & Bailey and Jamaica Inn. So does his own future now lie with the ITV soap? Again, it’s good news:

“I’d like to think so. Our new producer has just come in [Iain MacLeod has taken over from Kate Oates] and his team may decide that there’s a story to be had in Aaron leaving the village or dying. So it’s in their hands. But, as an actor, I’m happy where I am.

“You never know what’s round the corner. But if I had my way, I’d be here as long as they wanted me."

By David Brown, Radio Times
    http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-...ll-get-justice

We're more than used to Emmerdale favourite Danny Miller delivering standout performances on the show - but Wednesday's episode may have featured his best one yet.

Highly emotional scenes on the ITV soap saw Miller's troubled character Aaron Livesy break down in front of his mum Chas Dingle, revealing that he was raped by his father Gordon as a child.

© ITV
    Aaron breaks down in front of Chas

Aaron decided to be honest with Chas after she took him on a trip to the seaside and urged him to tell her if anything was bothering him. She'd just been tipped off by Aaron's on-off lover Robert Sugden that something was badly wrong.

Although he was initially reluctant to confide in his mum, Aaron eventually revealed the truth once they'd returned home from their day out.

Chas was shocked by the revelation, but immediately believed her son was telling the truth and promised him that she'd make everything right.

© ITV
    Aaron breaks down in front of Chas

Thursday's Emmerdale double bill will see Chas angrily confront Gordon with what she now knows, prompting him to return to his manipulative ways as he denies any wrongdoing.

Next week, Aaron will also make the brave decision to report Gordon to the police. However, as Aaron's uncle Cain has already taken some drastic revenge against the villain by this point, it provides him with one card still left to play - threatening to press charges against Cain unless Aaron withdraws his accusations.

By Daniel Kilkelly, Digital Spy
    Read more and see video replays at:
    http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/emme...ecret-to-chas/

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Telly Watcher For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (04-02-2016), lizann (04-02-2016)

amazing performance by danny

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (04-02-2016)

Danny Miller was on This Morning, he said that the story will run responsibly and eventually there will be happier times for him

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (05-02-2016), maidmarian (05-02-2016)

Looking forward to meeting Aaron's little sister when she comes into it

Danny Miller appeared on ITV's This Morning show on Friday 5th February 2016 to describe his character Aaron Livesy's abuse storyline and the efforts made by the writers to get it exactly right.

ITV's This Morning video (6m 1s) at:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkLEDUZgkNY

Emmerdale defended by Ofcom following complaints over Aaron Livesy's sex abuse storyline
    Emmerdale is in the clear with Ofcom following complaints over Aaron Livesy's child sex abuse storyline.
    The ITV soap has been airing powerful and heartbreaking scenes over the past few weeks, with the revelation that Aaron was raped by his evil father Gordon when he was a child.
    While Emmerdale has been widely praised for its sensitive portrayal of the storyline, Ofcom received 18 complaints over the emotional scenes broadcast in a double bill on Thursday, January 21.
    The episodes in question saw Aaron break down as he revealed his secret for the first time. He told his on-off lover Robert Sugden that Gordon raped him when he was 8 years old, before using the sex abuse as a twisted tactic to control his behaviour throughout his childhood.
    Speaking to Digital Spy today (February 8), Ofcom confirmed that the complaints were dismissed as they didn't raise issues warranting an official investigation.
    An Ofcom spokesperson told us: "We received a number of complaints objecting to a scene where a man revealed he was sexually abused as a child.
    "We won't be taking the matter forward for investigation. In our view, the scene was carefully handled and appropriately limited. We also took account that Emmerdale has an established history of portraying challenging or distressing social issues."
    Since confiding in Robert, Aaron has also shared his devastating secret with his mum Chas, and will report Gordon to the police in tonight's episode.
    Danny Miller, who plays Aaron, has received particular acclaim for his performances in the story so far.
    Speaking to Digital Spy last month, Miller commented: "Considering the nature of the storyline, the feedback has just been amazing. We're quite overwhelmed.
    "We understood that it might hit people quite hard, but I don't think we expected such a positive reaction to us making people aware about sexual abuse in society.
    "A couple of people have been in touch who are survivors of rape themselves. They've commended the story and the performances, as well as the writing and directing.
    "So if we're helping people to speak out, or even just inspiring people to get in touch to praise the story, I think we're doing the right job."

http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/emme...tional-scenes/

Emmerdale viewers have heaped praise on Danny Miller after Monday night's emotional episode saw his character Aaron Livesy finally report his historic child abuse to the police.

Actor Miller thanked fans for their comments after the episode aired and teased that this is "just the beginning of the journey for that poor lad" Aaron.

Aaron recently revealed that his father Gordon - played by Gary Mavers - repeatedly raped him as a child.

In emotional scenes, Aaron went to the police to report his dad.

http://youtu.be/mpusuEc0n-8

Thread Information