Lucy Pargeter has praised Emmerdale's writers for their 'fantastic' approach to the soap's current sexuality storyline.

In recent months, viewers have seen troubled Aaron Livesy - the son of Pargeter's character Chastity Dingle - slowly coming to the realisation that he is gay.

Speaking on This Morning today, Pargeter claimed that the show's team had made an inspired choice in creating the plotline for a traditional 'tough guy' character.

The actress explained: "Emmerdale's done it fantastically. A gay storyline isn't new, it isn't groundbreaking, but I think it's the fact that they've [used] a lad such as Aaron. I hope it's been really true to [life]."

Pargeter also commented on actor Danny Miller's recent confession that he had received public heckling for his role as Aaron.

She said: "He's a young lad and I think when he's out in places that he used to go out in, I think a lot of lads can feel threatened by a lad that's on the telly and [it's] anything they can throw at him to knock his confidence and try to get one up over him."