Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ashley Thomas (John Middleton)

Emmerdale star John Middleton thinks Ashley Thomas' devotion to his kids will save him from ending up on the streets again.

Vicar Ashley's life was turned upside down after he snapped while struggling with marriage troubles and caring for his elderly father and lost his temper with his dad. Ashamed by what he had done he fled his home and ended up on the streets. Now Ashley is about to learn that wife Lauren has rekindled her affair with his friend Marlon, just when he thought they had got through it.

But John told Inside Soap magazine: "He's sensible enough not to throw himself on the bonfire of homelessness.

"I think he'll contact vicar Jude, or social services - even if he doesn't know where he'll go now.

"Ashley's instincts are that if it wasn't for his children, he should just leave the village once and for all. It looks like little Gabby and Arthur are the only reasons for him to stay around."

However, John admits it will be hard for Ashley to accept that Marlon and Laurel are together.

He said: "This is beyond anything Ashley thought could happen. He's in his current situation partly because of Laurel's affair. But now he has to accept that things between him and Laurel are over for good."
    Last edited by tammyy2j; 27-08-2012 at 20:55.

Emmerdale's John Middleton has requested that he keep his beard for character Ashley Thomas.

Middleton's disgraced alter ego grew the facial hair while homeless after being barred from his duties as a vicar.

Ashley, whose marriage to Laurel has broken down, was shunned from the village when it was revealed that he had been abusing elderly father Sandy.

Speaking to Inside Soap, the actor revealed: "Everyone keeps saying, 'John, that really suits you!'

"For a while my wife said nothing, but I confronted her about it recently and she said, 'I've watched it grow, and I suppose it's grown on me as well'.

"It's been great for me, though. I begged the Emmerdale bosses to let me keep it, and so far they've said I can!"

Wish he would shave, don't like it at all

Emmerdale's John Middleton has requested that he keep his beard for character Ashley Thomas.

Middleton's disgraced alter ego grew the facial hair while homeless after being barred from his duties as a vicar.

Ashley, whose marriage to Laurel has broken down, was shunned from the village when it was revealed that he had been abusing elderly father Sandy.

Speaking to Inside Soap, the actor revealed: "Everyone keeps saying, 'John, that really suits you!'

"For a while my wife said nothing, but I confronted her about it recently and she said, 'I've watched it grow, and I suppose it's grown on me as well'.

"It's been great for me, though. I begged the Emmerdale bosses to let me keep it, and so far they've said I can!"

Wish he would shave, don't like it at all

Emmerdale's Ashley Thomas is in for a shock next week as he realises that his father Sandy is desperately unhappy.

Sandy (Freddie Jones) has recently been spending time at Seth's hide with teenager Sean Spencer, keen to have a place to call his own. However, when the hide burns down in an accident, Sandy is distraught as his current living arrangements are making him feel like a burden.

Sandy later tells Ashley and Laurel that he wants to move into a retirement home. When they can't talk him out of it, Ashley considers a desperate plan to bump him to the top of the housing list…

Here, John Middleton - who plays Ashley - chats about Sandy's unhappiness and his character's drastic attempts to make things right.

Is Ashley wishing that he could do more to care for Sandy?
    "Of course! The main thing is that Ashley wishes his family was still together, because if that was the case, the problem would be solved. Unfortunately, that is not an option and Ashley knows that it can't be. Ashley also realises that it's largely his fault, so he feels appalling about it."

Does Ashley share his concerns with anybody?
    "Yes, he shares his concerns with Laurel, and I think they do see eye-to-eye on this situation. They know that where Sandy is staying at the moment is not ideal.

"Ashley wishes he could do something about that and provide somewhere, but with his current employment prospects, that's never going to happen. As Sandy reminds him frequently, Ashley is on minimum wage as an unskilled labourer, so there's very little that Ashley can do."

How does Sandy react when Ashley wants him to see a doctor about his forgetfulness?
    "Sandy is absolutely furious about that, and quite rightly so. The implication is that Sandy is becoming senile, which is not the case at all. But that's what Sandy suspects Ashley, Laurel and Marlon are thinking. He thinks they regard him as a burden, so he'd rather not be a burden and take himself off somewhere else."

Do you think Ashley and Laurel should handle Sandy with more sensitivity?
    "Yes, I think they should. I think they're both burdened by their guilt, so they think things about Sandy which are maybe not appropriate."

Does Sandy suspect that Ashley and Laurel want him to go into care?
    "Well, it becomes Sandy's idea that he should go into care. He'd rather be in professional care than voluntary care. He's aware that people view him as a burden and someone who has to be volunteered for, and he'd rather that wasn't the case."

How does Ashley feel when Sandy reveals that he's been using Seth's hide as a place to call his own?
    "Ashley is initially amused, and when he finds out about the relationship that Sandy has with Sean, he's rather touched. Sandy is doing things with Sean that he would have done with Ashley when he was a boy. One does forget that Sandy has led a very active and adventurous life. He would have passed a lot of his life skills on to Ashley, like sailing and tying knots and things like that!

"Sandy has been out reminiscing around a fire in this cosy little hide with Sean, and Ashley would totally identify with that. It might be something that he's done with Sandy himself at some point."

Unfortunately, the hide burns down and Sandy is left feeling worse than ever. Does Ashley find it difficult when Sandy tells him how unhappy he's been?
    "Yes, because even though you could argue that Ashley should already see this, he hasn't noticed because he has so many concerns of his own - particularly to do with Gabby, Arthur and Laurel. The thing we have to remember is that Ashley is still head over heels in love with Laurel. If Laurel wanted to take him back, he'd say yes straight away!

"So those concerns are taking over for Ashley, and he hasn't seen just how unhappy Sandy is. Ashley just thinks Sandy is happy making life difficult for everyone - he thinks that it's entertainment for Sandy! But actually, Sandy's behaviour is an expression of great unhappiness. Ashley is shocked when he properly understands that."

Does Ashley try to talk Sandy out of going into a retirement home?
    "Yeah, both he and Laurel try to change his mind. Laurel reminds Sandy that he was in tears when he was previously contemplating going into a retirement home.

"It also reminds Ashley of a desperate time in his life, when he thought that the only way he could hold his marriage together was to get rid of Sandy and put him into a home. It reminds him that in many ways he was trying to dispose of his father, and that's an uncomfortable thing to be reminded of."

When they meet the social worker, does Ashley think Sandy will get accommodation?
    "No, because Ashley has been a vicar and knows these situations intimately. He knows that there would be a points system. Because Sandy's in accommodation where he has his own room in a nice house with a nice family, the points would be few.

"Ashley also knows that the first person who'll see Sandy will be someone from social services. That person will have a file with the whole troubled family history in it. Ashley knows that's what's going to happen, and it's what must be confronted."

Laurel says that Ashley needs to take charge to help Sandy. What does she want him to do?
    "I suppose what Laurel wants is to see evidence of how Ashley used to be. She's seen Ashley manage situations like this in the past, where old people in the community needed his help and he fought their corner with social services. Ashley knows the obstacle is the points system.

"However, the other thing that's going to be flagged up is the fact that Ashley attacked Sandy last year. Ashley realises that this could be the thing that would swing it in Sandy's favour.

"So Ashley starts to tell a story to social services that his animosity towards Sandy is building again. He hints that he has an uncontrollable side of his personality, which could flare up and result in him physically harming Sandy again. But in reality, this is a lie and there's absolutely no chance of that happening ever again."

Why does Ashley resort to such a desperate measure?
    "Ashley has discovered how unhappy Sandy is, so what he desperately wants more than anything is to give him at least a modicum of happiness. This is the only way it's going to happen. He would do anything - he would sacrifice his own reputation to make that happen."

What will become of Sandy if Ashley's lies don't work?
    "Well, that's a good question, as Ashley can't see any way out of this situation. None of the people involved have got the financial resources to find something privately for Sandy. If they can't do it via social services, Ashley doesn't think they have much chance.

"Ashley thinks the only way he can help is to call round and spend as much time with Sandy as often as he can. That's the only solution he can see at the moment. Ultimately, perhaps Ashley thinks that if he finds a job that he's properly qualified to do, he could earn some decent money, have a flat and invite Sandy to stay with him. But he doesn't see that happening anytime soon."

Would you like to see Ashley get a new love interest?
    "Well, as John, I'd like to see it because it would be intriguing. It would give us a whole new chapter for Ashley. But for Ashley, I don't think he sees romance blossoming ever again! Ashley is still head over heels in love with Laurel, and that's it. If he can't have Laurel, he doesn't want anyone else. So who knows?"

Would you like to see Ashley get his family unit back together?
    "Yes. That's obviously what Ashley wants, and there's a part of me that would like to see that as an actor, too. I love working with Charlotte Bellamy and I absolutely adore working with Freddie Jones. I also absolutely adore working with those two kids - they're great. They're lovely children and natural actors."

Have you heard from many viewers who've had trouble looking after their elderly parents?
    "Yes - more than any other story, I've had people stop me in the street over this. As I've said before, there's a lot of people my age who are going through a similar thing with elderly parents. So many people have spoken to me and written to me about the stress of that kind of situation, particularly in the final stages of a parent's life. The stresses on carers in situations like that are huge.

"After doing the story, I hope there's a better understanding that there has to be respite for carers in that sort of situation. The pressures are awful and it's good just to have some time away from that pressure. There's very little support in society, both financial or otherwise for people who care."
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

katie hunter (26-02-2013)

Emmerdale's Ashley Thomas is in for a shock next week as he realises that his father Sandy is desperately unhappy.

Sandy (Freddie Jones) has recently been spending time at Seth's hide with teenager Sean Spencer, keen to have a place to call his own. However, when the hide burns down in an accident, Sandy is distraught as his current living arrangements are making him feel like a burden.

Sandy later tells Ashley and Laurel that he wants to move into a retirement home. When they can't talk him out of it, Ashley considers a desperate plan to bump him to the top of the housing list…

Here, John Middleton - who plays Ashley - chats about Sandy's unhappiness and his character's drastic attempts to make things right.

Is Ashley wishing that he could do more to care for Sandy?
    "Of course! The main thing is that Ashley wishes his family was still together, because if that was the case, the problem would be solved. Unfortunately, that is not an option and Ashley knows that it can't be. Ashley also realises that it's largely his fault, so he feels appalling about it."

Does Ashley share his concerns with anybody?
    "Yes, he shares his concerns with Laurel, and I think they do see eye-to-eye on this situation. They know that where Sandy is staying at the moment is not ideal.

"Ashley wishes he could do something about that and provide somewhere, but with his current employment prospects, that's never going to happen. As Sandy reminds him frequently, Ashley is on minimum wage as an unskilled labourer, so there's very little that Ashley can do."

How does Sandy react when Ashley wants him to see a doctor about his forgetfulness?
    "Sandy is absolutely furious about that, and quite rightly so. The implication is that Sandy is becoming senile, which is not the case at all. But that's what Sandy suspects Ashley, Laurel and Marlon are thinking. He thinks they regard him as a burden, so he'd rather not be a burden and take himself off somewhere else."

Do you think Ashley and Laurel should handle Sandy with more sensitivity?
    "Yes, I think they should. I think they're both burdened by their guilt, so they think things about Sandy which are maybe not appropriate."

Does Sandy suspect that Ashley and Laurel want him to go into care?
    "Well, it becomes Sandy's idea that he should go into care. He'd rather be in professional care than voluntary care. He's aware that people view him as a burden and someone who has to be volunteered for, and he'd rather that wasn't the case."

How does Ashley feel when Sandy reveals that he's been using Seth's hide as a place to call his own?
    "Ashley is initially amused, and when he finds out about the relationship that Sandy has with Sean, he's rather touched. Sandy is doing things with Sean that he would have done with Ashley when he was a boy. One does forget that Sandy has led a very active and adventurous life. He would have passed a lot of his life skills on to Ashley, like sailing and tying knots and things like that!

"Sandy has been out reminiscing around a fire in this cosy little hide with Sean, and Ashley would totally identify with that. It might be something that he's done with Sandy himself at some point."

Unfortunately, the hide burns down and Sandy is left feeling worse than ever. Does Ashley find it difficult when Sandy tells him how unhappy he's been?
    "Yes, because even though you could argue that Ashley should already see this, he hasn't noticed because he has so many concerns of his own - particularly to do with Gabby, Arthur and Laurel. The thing we have to remember is that Ashley is still head over heels in love with Laurel. If Laurel wanted to take him back, he'd say yes straight away!

"So those concerns are taking over for Ashley, and he hasn't seen just how unhappy Sandy is. Ashley just thinks Sandy is happy making life difficult for everyone - he thinks that it's entertainment for Sandy! But actually, Sandy's behaviour is an expression of great unhappiness. Ashley is shocked when he properly understands that."

Does Ashley try to talk Sandy out of going into a retirement home?
    "Yeah, both he and Laurel try to change his mind. Laurel reminds Sandy that he was in tears when he was previously contemplating going into a retirement home.

"It also reminds Ashley of a desperate time in his life, when he thought that the only way he could hold his marriage together was to get rid of Sandy and put him into a home. It reminds him that in many ways he was trying to dispose of his father, and that's an uncomfortable thing to be reminded of."

When they meet the social worker, does Ashley think Sandy will get accommodation?
    "No, because Ashley has been a vicar and knows these situations intimately. He knows that there would be a points system. Because Sandy's in accommodation where he has his own room in a nice house with a nice family, the points would be few.

"Ashley also knows that the first person who'll see Sandy will be someone from social services. That person will have a file with the whole troubled family history in it. Ashley knows that's what's going to happen, and it's what must be confronted."

Laurel says that Ashley needs to take charge to help Sandy. What does she want him to do?
    "I suppose what Laurel wants is to see evidence of how Ashley used to be. She's seen Ashley manage situations like this in the past, where old people in the community needed his help and he fought their corner with social services. Ashley knows the obstacle is the points system.

"However, the other thing that's going to be flagged up is the fact that Ashley attacked Sandy last year. Ashley realises that this could be the thing that would swing it in Sandy's favour.

"So Ashley starts to tell a story to social services that his animosity towards Sandy is building again. He hints that he has an uncontrollable side of his personality, which could flare up and result in him physically harming Sandy again. But in reality, this is a lie and there's absolutely no chance of that happening ever again."

Why does Ashley resort to such a desperate measure?
    "Ashley has discovered how unhappy Sandy is, so what he desperately wants more than anything is to give him at least a modicum of happiness. This is the only way it's going to happen. He would do anything - he would sacrifice his own reputation to make that happen."

What will become of Sandy if Ashley's lies don't work?
    "Well, that's a good question, as Ashley can't see any way out of this situation. None of the people involved have got the financial resources to find something privately for Sandy. If they can't do it via social services, Ashley doesn't think they have much chance.

"Ashley thinks the only way he can help is to call round and spend as much time with Sandy as often as he can. That's the only solution he can see at the moment. Ultimately, perhaps Ashley thinks that if he finds a job that he's properly qualified to do, he could earn some decent money, have a flat and invite Sandy to stay with him. But he doesn't see that happening anytime soon."

Would you like to see Ashley get a new love interest?
    "Well, as John, I'd like to see it because it would be intriguing. It would give us a whole new chapter for Ashley. But for Ashley, I don't think he sees romance blossoming ever again! Ashley is still head over heels in love with Laurel, and that's it. If he can't have Laurel, he doesn't want anyone else. So who knows?"

Would you like to see Ashley get his family unit back together?
    "Yes. That's obviously what Ashley wants, and there's a part of me that would like to see that as an actor, too. I love working with Charlotte Bellamy and I absolutely adore working with Freddie Jones. I also absolutely adore working with those two kids - they're great. They're lovely children and natural actors."

Have you heard from many viewers who've had trouble looking after their elderly parents?
    "Yes - more than any other story, I've had people stop me in the street over this. As I've said before, there's a lot of people my age who are going through a similar thing with elderly parents. So many people have spoken to me and written to me about the stress of that kind of situation, particularly in the final stages of a parent's life. The stresses on carers in situations like that are huge.

"After doing the story, I hope there's a better understanding that there has to be respite for carers in that sort of situation. The pressures are awful and it's good just to have some time away from that pressure. There's very little support in society, both financial or otherwise for people who care."
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

7. The Following User Says Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (26-02-2013)

He should try and find a house for himself and Sandy and Gaby if he can afford it
    Last edited by tammyy2j; 26-02-2013 at 15:54.

Emmerdale's John Middleton has hinted that his character may have a new love interest in the ITV soap.

Viewers recently saw Ashley Thomas realise that he has no chance of reuniting with ex-wife Laurel after she accepted a marriage proposal from Marlon.

Ashley is not happy with Laurel after Gabby says she knows about the engagement from facebook
    © ITV
    John Middleton as Ashley with Laurel

Middleton said: "The sad thing from Ashley's point of view is that he still retains the same feelings for Laurel that he always has had. He's never fallen out of love with her."

The actor added that Ashley will eventually be able to move on.

He said: "I think the good thing from Ashley's point of view is that he is capable of picking himself up and thinking, 'Right, I've really got to try to get my life again'."

Talking about Ashley's temper after he takes his rage out on Edna, Middleton said: "We see the dark side of Ashley.

"Ashley has this dreadful temper which he's not very much in control of. He's bitterly regretful and sees that Edna is very concerned about this and indeed frightened. This devastates Ashley."

He also suggested that his character could be heading for a change in fortunes.

"Let's say there might be a significant other person coming in to Ashley's life, but I can't say much more than that," he said.

Someone new?

I really hope Ashley finds happiness, which seems unlikely to happen as soaps thrive on conflict. I can't do justice it how much I dislike Laurel and Marlon. I tend to mentally switch off from any of their scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by britgirl View Post
    Someone new?
    megan or back to bernice again

Thread Information