Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Ashley Thomas (John Middleton)

Emmerdale boss Iain MacLeod – Ashley’s death is soon
    Get ready to say an emotional goodbye to Emmerdale’s Ashley Thomas because his death is just around the corner.
    Emmerdale boss Iain MacLeod says the village vicar’s death scenes have now been written and will be filmed in the coming weeks.
    But he’s assured fans that Ashley, who has dementia and is currently in a care home, won’t meet a tragic end.
    Iain said: “Ashley’s exit story is not that far off – it’s tragic to say it but he will soon be no longer with us. I’ve just signed off on the final version on the episode in which he dies and it is unbelievably beautiful.
    “It’s oddly joyous – it’s a celebration of the character. We didn’t want to do a story where he just absconded from a care home and was discovered dead from hypothermia or something, it would be too bleak.
    “In a story that is already desperately sad, what we wanted to do was make this the best possible death so that coming out of the other side of it, his family members think “well none of us wanted him to go so soon” but knowing that he had to go, these were the best circumstances for his death that we could construct.
    “It’s super warm and funny and almost festive and boisterous. It’s just beautiful and I couldn’t be more proud of the script, which is in very capable hands with our cast and crew.”
    He added: “Shortly after the death, it’s obviously his funeral and what we’ve got for the funeral is something that is every bit as quirky – though not in the same way – as that special Ashley episode that we did.
    “It’s as experimental as that but in a different way – that will be really special and will probably be talked about for quite some time to come.
    “I hope people are as surprised as I was when I read it. It’s pretty special, I have to say. The story has been so well written and so well played that I’d be hard pressed to find anything that we would have done differently.”

Digital Spy

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (19-02-2017), lizann (19-02-2017), Ruffed_lemur (19-02-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    Emmerdale boss Iain MacLeod – Ashley’s death is soon ......Digital Spy
    Pleased the writers didn't opt for some massive tragic conclusion for Ashley's death. Seems he will die in peace. Great storyline throughout, very informative,original and superbly acted.

Emmerdale fans need to have their tissues at the ready as the show’s boss has already signed off on Ashley Thomas’ tragic final episode. While viewers have been aware for some time that the dementia storyline would inevitably lead to Ashley’s death, fans are unlikely to be prepared for the emotion and harrowing performances as the final chapter plays out.
    Revealing that John Middleton will film his final scenes in just a matter of weeks, producer Iain MacLeod has shared the first hints on what viewers can expect – and he is clearly keen to ensure that the devastating scenes are not overly bleak, with him putting particular emphasis on the fact that it will pay tribute to the character in a positive way.
    He explained to Metro.co.uk at a recent event: ‘Ashley’s exit story is not that far off – it’s tragic to say it but he will soon be no longer with us. I’ve just signed off on the final version of the episode in which he dies and it is unbelievably beautiful. It’s oddly joyous – a celebration of the character. We didn’t want to do a story where he just absconded from a care home and was discovered dead from hypothermia or something, it would be too bleak.

‘In a story that is already desperately sad, what we wanted to do was make this the best possible death so that coming out of the other side of it, his family members think “well none of us wanted him to go so soon but knowing that he had to go, these were the best circumstances for his death”
    ‘It’s super warm and funny and almost festive and boisterous. It’s just beautiful and I couldn’t be more proud of the script, which is in very capable hands with our cast and crew.’
    Revealing what would follow the loss of Ashley, Iain continued: ‘Shortly after the death, it’s obviously his funeral and what we’ve got for the funeral is something that is every bit as quirky as that special Ashley episode that we did. It’s as experimental as that but in a different way – that will be really special and will probably be talked about for quite some time to come. I hope people are as surprised when watching it as I was when I read it.

‘It’s pretty special, I have to say. The story has been so well written and so well played that I’d be hard pressed to find anything that we would have done differently.’

metro.co.uk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (20-02-2017)

will he play any part in emma getting caught before he dies?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Topaz (11-03-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    will he play any part in emma getting caught before he dies?
    I hope so!!

Laurel Thomas is given even more cause for concern in Emmerdale as her ailing husband Ashley stops eating – but what is behind his decision to start concealing his food? And will it have devastating consequences on his health?
    Laurel pays a visit to Ashley with Arthur by her side and her fears that he isn’t eating properly are confirmed when she finds food stuffed in the pockets of his bath robe.
    She is faced with even more upset when Ashley continues to struggle with remembering who she is and is clearly happier spending time with Maggie. With Laurel feeling like she has to accept this, she later realises the reason for him hiding his food and she struggles with the enormity of the situation and the fact that her marriage has changed forever.
    When Laurel pays another visit, Ashley and Maggie don’t even notice her presence, happy in their own world. And when Laurel returns home to a chaotic household, it’s clear that she is heading close to the edge.
    How much more of this agony will she be able to take before she cracks under the pressure?

metro.co.uk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (09-03-2017)

It's the end of an era at Emmerdale, as Digital Spy can confirm that long-serving star John Middleton has filmed his final scenes for the soap.

The popular actor, who plays Ashley Thomas, secretly shot his character's emotional exit earlier this month - so there's not long left now before we see him bow out.

We're sworn to secrecy on when Ashley's last episode will air at this early stage, but fans can expect to see him stick around on our screens for a few more weeks due to Emmerdale being filmed so far in advance.

Ashley has been living with dementia for well over a year now and he recently moved into a care home as his family were struggling to provide the round-the-clock attention he needed.

Ashley's wife Laurel has since been left devastated by him forgetting her and growing close to a female resident at the care home.

Emmerdale's producer Iain MacLeod recently spoke to Digital Spy and other media about Ashley's exit, promising a fitting departure for him.

Iain revealed: "It's oddly joyous and it's a celebration of the character. We didn't want to do a story where he just absconded from a care home and was discovered dead from hypothermia or something - it would be too bleak.

"In a story that is already desperately sad, what we wanted to do was make this the best possible death - so that coming out of the other side of it, his family members would think: 'Well, none of us wanted him to go so soon, but knowing that he had to go, these were the best circumstances for his death'.

"It's super warm and funny - and almost festive and boisterous. It's just beautiful and I couldn't be more proud of the script, which is in very capable hands with our cast and crew."

Confirming a special episode for Ashley's funeral, he added: "Shortly after the death, it's obviously Ashley's funeral and what we've got for the funeral is something that is every bit as quirky - though not in the same way - as that special Ashley episode that we did last year.

"It's as experimental as that, but in a different way. That will be really special and will probably be talked about for quite some time to come."

John has been playing the role of Ashley since 1996.

Digital Spy

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

TaintedLove (14-03-2017)

I honestly can't believe he's played Ashley for 20 odd years. Where has that time gone??

Such a sad storyline but beautifully acted. Will miss Ashley!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Topaz For This Useful Post:

lizann (04-04-2017), Perdita (18-03-2017)

Emmerdale could be drawing closer to Ashley Thomas's exit storyline next week as his health takes another sudden turn for the worse.

Fans know that we're nearing the end of Ashley's dementia storyline, as Digital Spy recently revealed that John Middleton has already filmed his final scenes in the role after 21 years.

Next week's Emmerdale episodes see Ashley's loved ones breathe a huge sigh of relief, as he's safely back at the care home after briefly doing a runner in a confused state.

Despite everyone being glad that Ashley is okay, relations aren't too rosy between Laurel (Charlotte Bellamy) and her dad Doug, as she struggles to forgive him for a crass comment that he made about Ashley when he was missing.

Laurel is so annoyed with Doug that she even refuses to turn to him for support when her young son Arthur suddenly falls ill. However, with so many responsibilities, it's clear that Laurel is struggling to juggle everything when Arthur throws up during a visit to Ashley.

A few days later, Doug tries to get back in Laurel's good books by taking part in a family talent show to cheer her up.

Sadly, just when things seem to be looking up for everyone again, Laurel receives word that Ashley has suffered a violent coughing fit at the care home.

Bob Hope is witness to the shock moment while spending time with Ashley and he's horrified to spot that his old friend has coughed up blood.

As the Thomas family struggle with the latest bad news about Ashley, could Arthur be left fearing that he's passed on the illness and is to blame?

And could this be the beginning of the end for Ashley?

Digital Spy

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (21-03-2017)

Emmerdale airs Ashley Thomas's funeral next week as a huge crowd gathers to pay their last respects to the much-loved village vicar.

John Middleton's final scenes in the role air this Friday, as Ashley passes away a few days after being diagnosed with pneumonia.

Ashley has been living with vascular dementia for nearly two years, but his loved ones had no idea that the end for him would come so soon.

In the aftermath of Ashley's death, his wife Laurel, daughter Gabby and old flame Harriet all seem to be struggling badly in their own ways.

Gabby is particularly resentful that she didn't get enough time to say goodbye privately to her dad and bitterly blames her mum Bernice for this.

On the funeral day, the tragic events also take their toll on Arthur, who reads a poem at the graveyard but becomes overcome with emotion half-way through and runs off.

Even Harriet feels that she didn't perform well while leading the service, feeling guilty over her shaky delivery when faced with the heartbreaking task.

Charlotte Bellamy, who plays Laurel, revealed: "Laurel feels numb after Ashley's death and she's on autopilot. Laurel wasn't prepared to lose Ashley at all, because she thought they had years left together. He's taken so abruptly and Laurel just wasn't ready for it.

"There's a big turnout at the funeral, but that's no surprise really because Ashley has been such a central part of the village over the years. The service is really beautiful and it's a celebration of his life – especially as it's in the church where he served for many years."

Charlotte has also spoken about what it was like to say goodbye to John, who's played Ashley for 21 years.

She confirmed: "We gave him a right good send-off! I said in my speech at his leaving party that I've never been to a leaving do and seen so many people there. It was brimming with people – cast, crew, production team, writers and directors. That is a testament to John and how much he's loved and respected.

"As in any soap, the machine carries on, but I do feel a little bit lost at times without John. I'm sure it'll get easier, but he's been such a huge part of my life in Emmerdale and I do miss him."

Digital Spy

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (04-04-2017), lizann (04-04-2017), tammyy2j (05-04-2017)

Thread Information