Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ashley Thomas (John Middleton)

Ashley Thomas (John Middleton)

John Middleton has said that the latest twist in his Emmerdale storyline tackled an important issue.

Earlier this month, viewers saw unstable Sally Spode (Siân Reeves) drugging Middleton's character Ashley Thomas at his home before leading him upstairs to spend the night with him.

In an interview with This Morning today, the actor explained that the dark moment marked a crucial turning point in the plot, which has seen Sally scheming against Ashley and his wife Laurel (Charlotte Bellamy) for months.

Middleton commented: "It [was] very sinister. I hesitate to get too heavy about it, but it is an issue - men being attacked in this manner. Apparently it does happen and according to the police it's incredibly under-reported because men are very embarrassed about it."

The star conceded that Ashley was foolish to let Sally into his home, but noted that the character's main flaw is "he always tries to see the best in people - even psychopaths like Sally".

On the implications for his alter ego, Middleton added: "For Ashley, it's the worst thing that could have possibly happened. Because of the nature of the drug, he has little recollection of what actually happened but it does come back in flashbacks. It's an absolute living nightmare."

If a man is drugged that way, can he erm perform?

Last edited by Perdita; 04-04-2012 at 18:26.

Emmerdale star John Middleton has revealed that fans avoid him because of his abusive character.

The actor plays Ashley Thomas in the ITV1 soap, who is mistreating his elderly father Sandy, played by Freddie Jones.

"People are avoiding me. My own mother doesn't like what's happening. It's very uncomfortable and I'm approaching what is going to happen with trepidation," Middleton told the Daily Record.

"I'm a season ticket-holder at Newcastle and people have stopped coming up to speak to me. I've been going to the same coffee rooms for years and there was a party of women who would normally have come across and spoken but they didn't say a thing.

"John, who owns the place, said, 'People take it so seriously. They told me that they didn't know what to say and that I should go across and tell you to stop being so horrible to everyone'.

"My mum doesn't like it and a lot of her friends have stopped watching it. They've been asking, 'What's happening to Ashley?' My mother is a former English teacher, with a keen interest in drama, and my dad was a television writer, so she knows it's not real and she tells me I'm doing tremendously well - but she doesn't like the storyline."

In Thursday's (April 26) episode, Ashley visits the Woolpack to admit that he hit Sandy. In Friday's (April 27) episode he is arrested by police officers on suspicion of assault.

"I have no idea where this is going at the moment. It's very unsettling and I'm approaching it with a lot of trepidation. It's almost like a new start - I've been given a new character.

"The consequences of this is he can no longer be a vicar. In the coming weeks we will see him physically go a lot lower. It's going to be very dark. It's a complete change of a character that I've built up over 15 years.

"In the past he was written for with great tenderness and fondness. That's gone and the public perception of him as a gentle and liberal character has gone too. I'm not sure if we'll ever get him back."

Emmerdale's John Middleton has predicted that Ashley will give up on wife Laurel if she chooses to rekindle her affair with Marlon.

Disgraced vicar Ashley Thomas, who was recently shamed for hitting his elderly father Sandy, admitted that he has found the elderly abuse plot "uncomfortable" to film.

Middleton told Inside Soap: "This storyline has taken me on a very different journey as an actor, and variety is the spice of life.

"But I have found it uncomfortable - I don't like being horrible to people I like so much!"

The 58-year-old added: "If Laurel goes to Marlon, Ashley will be shattered. I don't think he'd even try to fight for her. This time, he'd have to accept it's over."

Ashley is further embarrassed next week when his burger van job is uncovered by Alex and Victoria.

Emmerdale star John Middleton revealed a new look for his character Ashley Thomas during a live TV appearance on Daybreak today (June 7).

The actor appeared on the ITV1 breakfast show with a beard, confirming that he has changed his appearance to tie in with Ashley's ongoing struggles.

© Rex Features / Steve Meddle

Ashley is left homeless in the coming days as he cannot afford to keep staying at the B&B, while he knows that nobody in the village will want to give him a place to stay. His life has taken a dramatic turn for the worse since his abuse of his father Sandy was revealed, and things will deteriorate further for him in the coming weeks.

Middleton, reflecting on the story in his TV interview, commented: "This is a huge change. I've been playing this character for, off and on, 15 years now. So any change like this you embrace as an actor, but I did with some trepidation because I didn't know where it was going to go.

"It really is reinventing the character completely. And they've even reinvented the way the character looks, as you can see, because he's got a considerable downfall to go yet! At the same time, I was very excited. It's a huge story."

Discussing his new look, he continued: "It's great at the moment because I'm not being recognised! I'm blowing that now, aren't I?"

© Rex Features / Steve Meddle

Middleton added that while Ashley's treatment of Sandy was "completely unfair", he has heard from viewers who sympathise with the troubled ex-vicar.

He explained: "I've had quite a surprising amount of feedback from people who understand the pressure upon Ashley, and the pressure of looking after an elderly [person] who's very needy. Sandy isn't as needy as some - I have had people who've had to look after parents with Alzheimer's or things like that.

"The pressure on carers these days - who get very, very little support - is enormous. If there's one message I wanted to get out, it's before you get anywhere near the situation that Ashley finds himself in, where he became violently abusive and there's no excuse for that, you've got to talk to someone. There are agencies out there who are there to help."

Emmerdale airs weeknights on ITV1.

Emmerdale's John Middleton has expressed his delight at producers for his recent storylines.

Middleton, who plays disgraced vicar Ashley Thomas, has been at the centre of an elder abuse plot with his dad Sandy.

The 58-year-old told the Daily Record: "There is nothing like change to completely reinvigorate a character, and this is major change.

"You can get to a stage in a show, particularly when you have been somewhere as long as I have, where they run out of ideas for the role you play within the village."

The Dales stalwart admitted that he feels like he has been "recast" with the radical change in fortunes for his alter ego.

Middleton added: "What they have done here is, in a way, destroyed the character to rebuild the character, and he will not have the role he has had in the village. That role has gone. It's almost like being recast.

"It's very encouraging they have invested so much in this character that they want to keep him, and the only way they can do that is to undergo this huge change. That's something I am very grateful for, and it is very exciting."

Ashley has also been fighting to save his marriage with Laurel, who has rekindled her affection for Woolpack chef Marlon Dingle after having an affair with him last year.

Emmerdale star John Middleton has revealed that Ashley Thomas's current storyline has a long way to go.

Ashley has reached rock bottom in recent days, sleeping rough on the streets after being rejected by his family and most of the village.

The ex-vicar's downfall came when his abuse of his elderly father Sandy was revealed back in April.

Middleton, asked whether there is any happiness ahead for Ashley, told Soaplife: "It's a very long journey and although I've had hints as to where he'll end up, I don't know.

"But we're talking all the way to Christmas, with some new characters coming in, too."

In the meantime, Ashley finally gets a place to stay next week when his love rival Marlon offers him a room. However, he fails to realise that Marlon still has strong feelings for Laurel.

Middleton explained: "He doesn't suspect it because Marlon's taken him in. That would be a terrible thing for Marlon to do - provide a haven for Ashley while having an affair with his wife.

"As it happens, though, Marlon's talking about going to New Zealand, which would be a win-win situation for Ashley as Marlon would remove himself from the picture."

Emmerdale airs weeknights on ITV1.

Emmerdale's John Middleton has said he has been left disillusioned by Ashley and Laurel's split.

Middleton admitted that he misses sharing scenes with Charlotte Bellamy, to whom he was married on-screen for seven years until their recent break-up.

"I'm a bit dismayed that they've split up Charlotte and I on-screen, but you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs, and that's the nature of soaps," he is quoted by Female First as saying. "In the process of change, you get some great stories."

Laurel had an affair with Marlon last year but ultimately decided to stay with Ashley. However, her relationship with Marlon was reignited when it was discovered Ashley had been abusing elderly father Sandy.

Remarkably, the disgraced vicar's first wife Bernice also left him for a chef who worked in the kitchen at The Woolpack.

Middleton commented jokingly on the situation: "It's a dismaying fact that both of Ashley's wives have done that. I think it says a lot about his cooking.

"He needs to get a bit more adventurous and stop grilling fish fingers - so some French cuisine man!"

Emmerdale's John Middleton has said he has been left disillusioned by Ashley and Laurel's split.

Middleton admitted that he misses sharing scenes with Charlotte Bellamy, to whom he was married on-screen for seven years until their recent break-up.

"I'm a bit dismayed that they've split up Charlotte and I on-screen, but you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs, and that's the nature of soaps," he is quoted by Female First as saying. "In the process of change, you get some great stories."

Laurel had an affair with Marlon last year but ultimately decided to stay with Ashley. However, her relationship with Marlon was reignited when it was discovered Ashley had been abusing elderly father Sandy.

Remarkably, the disgraced vicar's first wife Bernice also left him for a chef who worked in the kitchen at The Woolpack.

Middleton commented jokingly on the situation: "It's a dismaying fact that both of Ashley's wives have done that. I think it says a lot about his cooking.

"He needs to get a bit more adventurous and stop grilling fish fingers - so some French cuisine man!"

Last edited by tammyy2j; 27-08-2012 at 20:58.

Thread Information