Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Ashley Thomas (John Middleton)

Isle of Widget.. well used to be more Southampton ish for now
    My lovely Aunt is in a home because of this. "insert swear words" illness. She is in a brilliant place thou close to her sister and us, But the portrayal of Ashley is spot on.

I just wish they would make it a bit clearer how Laurel is paying for this day care help. My aunts fees are over three grand a month for living in a home under BUPA, but I know the council demand fees as well even the selling of a joint owned house to pay for the care.

But yes John is really earning his pay in this sad story line.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Splashy For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (08-11-2016)

Emmerdale fans can expect some heartwarming scenes this Christmas as the Thomas family get the chance to enjoy some rare happiness again.

Ashley is currently facing the daily challenges of living with dementia, which will leave his wife Laurel in despair over the coming weeks as his condition seems to be getting rapidly worse.

While Ashley hits a particularly low moment in his special standalone episode just before Christmas, the good news is that he and Laurel will get the chance to experience some festive cheer afterwards.

December 25 doesn't start off too well for the Thomases, as Ashley fails to realise that it's Christmas Day and Gabby's birthday.

However, when Gabby finds a box of wrapped presents and opens them, she's moved to tears as she realises that they're from Ashley and he did remember after all.

While the family have to explain that Ashley isn't having a good day when they attend church later on, Christmas soon takes an unexpected turn for the better.

Emmerdale fans will have to tune in to find out what happens, but show bosses are promising "a happy surprise" for the Thomas family.

Laurel is struggling with Ashley
    ITV

John Middleton, who plays Ashley, also told Inside Soap's Christmas issue: "Christmas Day is actually a lovely day in terms of how Ashley is.

"He has a sort of slight awakening on Christmas Day, to do with the circumstances of the day itself - the service in the church, things like that. There's a familiarity to it all, which is sparked by a carol initially."

Digital Spy

I am glad they are letting them have a good Christmas, I dread the future episodes though as I like Ashley and shall miss him once he has gone

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Ruffed_lemur (07-12-2016), TaintedLove (07-12-2016), tammyy2j (07-12-2016)

oh not a good christmas for thomas family as ashley end is nearing

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    oh not a good christmas for thomas family as ashley end is nearing
    I think Christmas is going to be nice for them .. New Years Eve/New Years Day might not be

john deserves every award possible, incredible moving

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (20-12-2016), kiwigirl (21-12-2016), Ruffed_lemur (21-12-2016), tammyy2j (20-12-2016)

Totally absorbing episode, watery eye time throughout. Those touches with substitute characters. metal discs for coins all contributed to John Middleton's performance in Ashley's world.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Glen1 For This Useful Post:

kiwigirl (21-12-2016), lizann (21-12-2016), Ruffed_lemur (21-12-2016), tammyy2j (20-12-2016)

I am in total agreement with every post that mentioned the brilliant performance by John Middleton. Yes a very teary-eyed episode, and yes Best Male actor of a soap for 2017

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kiwigirl For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (21-12-2016), lizann (21-12-2016)

It was great to see how well Aaron handled the situation and how sensitive he was with Ashley, far more than Doug was. He's really developed as a character, when you think of how angry and self hating he used to be.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emerald For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (23-12-2016), Perdita (22-12-2016)

Emmerdale's Doug Potts and Diane Sugden get a worrying insight into just how bad life has become for Laurel Thomas next week.

Doug steps in to help Laurel (Charlotte Bellamy) out when it becomes clear that she's struggling to care for her husband Ashley, who was diagnosed with dementia in late 2015.

With Ashley's lucid moments now few and far between, his family have faced an upsetting few months as he's changed beyond all recognition.

Things get even worse next week when a mix-up with Ashley's carer leads to Gabby having to look after her confused father and her little sister Dotty all on her own.

Laurel is mortified when she finds out what's happened, but Doug wants his daughter to stop beating herself up and offers to give her a break from looking after Ashley (John Middleton).

Doug explains that he and Diane can take on the responsibility for a while, but they're both shocked when they realise just how much Ashley has deteriorated and what it's really like to look after him.

Wanting to pretend like everything is fine, Doug lies to Laurel by hiding how much he and Diane are already struggling with Ashley.

However, it's not long before Laurel uncovers the truth and she eventually makes a heartbreaking decision which could change everything.

Duncan Preston, who plays Doug, revealed: "Doug and Diane can see how exhausted and stressed Laurel is. So they turf her out so she can have a break away from it, and they go into the house and take over her role. It is only then they know how difficult it is.

"Laurel is really struggling. Doug thinks it's time Ashley went into full time care and Laurel just can't conceive making that decision at this point. So he and Diane do the next best thing and offer to step into her shoes to pick up the slack for a bit, to give her a break.

"Laurel fights the full time care suggestion tooth and nail. But then when she realises they want to help her in her home, she's grateful. However, Laurel is doubtful whether they realise the extent of Ashley's behaviour. She knows deep down they might struggle.

"Initially he's not honest over how it is going with him and Diane taking over Ashley's care at home, as they are struggling, but he doesn't want to admit this to her.

"They're a strong family so they will carry on keeping it together. But it's going to be a tough time ahead for them all."

Asked how he feels about being involved in such an emotional storyline, Duncan replied: "I have been involved in a situation like this in real life, not to do with dementia, but to do with something else - another mental illness. So I know what it is like and I know that it's very, very tricky.

"It can be hard to deal with, so I understand it completely. It's important Emmerdale are telling this story as dementia is so prevalent. The carers are heroes in my opinion."

Digital Spy

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Tuareet (17-01-2017)

Laurel Thomas’ worst nightmare comes to pass in Emmerdale as her husband Ashley starts to forget her. Laurel has been struggling since Ashley went into full time care, fearing that he no longer needs her as he settles into his new life and makes new friends.
    As she strives to spend as much time as possible with him in his new environment, Laurel is rocked when she pays him a visit and he forgets who she is properly for the first time.
    As she takes him out for a picnic, the moment Laurel has been dreading comes while they spend time together and Laurel realises that their relationship is now changing forever.
    As she takes Ashley back to the care home, she is rocked further to see the friendships he is developing and she feels pushed out.
    Will Laurel fall apart as the cruel illness continues to snatch Ashley away?

Thread Information