Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'EastEnders' gay plot sparks complaints

'EastEnders' gay plot sparks complaints

A future EastEnders storyline has reportedly already sparked complaints.

According to the Daily Star, an upcoming plot will see Christian Clarke (John Partridge) beaten up by an angry Muslim character.

The story will take place once Christian's affair with Syed Masood (Marc Elliott) is revealed, although it is not yet clear which character will carry out the attack.

A source explained: "It seems that Christian is going to take the brunt of Syed's problems. Syed and Amira's wedding achieved one of the highest ratings of the year, so we're expecting viewers to again be gripped when this storyline reaches its dramatic climax.

"There will be lots of twists and turns along the way. And sadly for poor Christian, he'll be the one who ends up taking a battering. There will also be lots of complaints."

Tahir Shah from the Muslim Public Affairs Committee has already criticised the storyline for portraying Muslims in a negative light.

"EastEnders is known for its gritty and realistic storylines but we cannot condone such violence from a Muslim character," Shah explained.

However, gay rights campaigner Peter Tatchell described the plot as "groundbreaking", adding: "No storyline in any drama will ever reflect the totality of the many diverse gay lifestyles and experiences. Full credit to the BBC for having a gay Muslim character. The lives of gay Muslims are very rarely in the media."

A spokesperson for the soap said: "We won't confirm future storylines as we do not want to spoil anything for our viewers."

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (28-03-2010), Dutchgirl (31-03-2010), JustJodi (04-04-2010)

I can't wait for all to be revealed, but don't want to see poor Christian beat up
    Last edited by Dazzle; 28-03-2010 at 18:48.

I love this storyline. Can't wait for it to start up again properly.

im tired of it now hope this will come to an end because its been going on for nearly a year now or near enough!
    westlife @ echo 18th march 2011 block 17
    westlife @ men 22nd march 2011 block C

This is not the kind of storyline you can rush through in a couple of months

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (29-03-2010), Dutchgirl (31-03-2010), parkerman (29-03-2010), Ruffed_lemur (05-04-2010)

So excited for affair coming out !! This wil be really entertaining but poor Christian

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    This is not the kind of storyline you can rush through in a couple of months
    I quite agree! Never been bored with this story.

Christian is beaten up by muslim thugs

HUNKY Christian Clarke screams in *terror as he is beaten up by a gang of Muslim thugs next week.

The caterer (John Partridge, 36) is attacked after the three burst through his front door and trap him inside his flat.

They are out for revenge after *discovering that he’s been having a secret gay romance with married Syed Masood (Marc Elliott, 29), who comes from a strict Muslim *family.

In shocking scenes to be screened next week on the hit BBC1 soap, *Christian begs them to stop as they *unleash vicious blow after blow on his face and body.

And the man leading the *assault is Syed’s furious father-in-law, who hits the roof when he *discovers he has been *deceiving his *newly-wed daughter Amira (Preeya Kalidas, 27) with his gay affair.

Word finally gets out when Christian comes clean to everyone about their hush-hush romance but his news has *terrifying consequences.

He is battered and *beaten to the ground and left covered in blood by the gang.

The plotline has been one of the most controversial EastEnders has screened in recent years but has been a huge hit with fans.

Daily Star

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (23-04-2010), JustJodi (25-04-2010)

I don't think I can watch that.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

Ruffed_lemur (24-04-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post
    I don't think I can watch that.
    I agree, this is going to be very hard to watch. Good for Easties for not sweeping it under the carpet when it comes out.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to moonstorm For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (24-04-2010)

Thread Information