Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bill: ITV drops police drama after 27 years

Thousands of fans of ITV police drama The Bill have called for ITV to reconsider its decision to axe the programme.

The broadcaster announced last week that the crime show is to be dropped after 27 years on the air. Falling ratings have been blamed for its fate.

However, a Facebook campaign group titled "Save The Bill!" has attracted more than 10,000 members in just a few days. Its page says: "The Bill is a British institution. Let's not let it die after 27 years!"

Meanwhile, various online petitions which have been set up to save the show have received thousands of signatures.

Efforts to keep The Bill on the air are also being backed by the actors union Equity. In a statement, its general secretary Christine Payne commented: "This is a disaster. Almost every television actor in the country has at some stage worked on The Bill over the last 26 years and it is an enormously important source of work for Equity members.

"It also has a one of the most loyal audiences of any ongoing drama currently on television. We call on ITV to reconsider their decision to cancel this important programme."

A spokesman for ITV insisted that the network plans to fill the gap left behind by The Bill by continuing to invest in new drama.

He added: "This ongoing commitment not only represents an opportunity for those currently working in the production industry but also for those who are keen to embark on a career in television."

DS

ITV should stand by their decision and drop TB unless the following are fulfilled (in no particular order of importance):

1. Return to the 8pm slot.
    2. Get rid of the "sexed up" idea and music.
    3. Stop trying to copy US drama - it just doesn't work.
    4. Bring back Stamp, Hollis et al. I'm sure Alan or Parkerman can provide a list of Dead Wood to chop, as I don't watch any more.
    5. Bring in scipt writers and producers that know what they're doing. TalkbackThames might not be able to afford the Spooks or Waking the Dead caliber writers but TT can do a lot better than they are now.
    6. Return to traditional policing, with long running undercover stories. Zain's storyline with the drugs cartel is the only one that sticks in my mind for acting and keeping me hooked. It was brilliant scripting.
    7. Redress the Uniform/CID balance to 50/50 instead of 1/99.
    Thanks CrazyLea

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abigail For This Useful Post:

mike_li (01-04-2010), parkerman (02-04-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post
    Where will all the ex soap actors go now
    back to the soaps i guess

A number of television executives have today expressed concern and disappointment over ITV's axing of The Bill, claiming that the industry will suffer following the loss of the show.

Last month, it was announced that the police drama is to be dropped after 27 years on the air. Declining ratings were blamed for the decision.

Speaking to The Guardian, controller of BBC drama production John Yorke questioned how new writing talent can be developed without ongoing serials like The Bill.

Yorke commented: "Five years ago it was possible for talent to cut their teeth on Brookside, Dream Team, Family Affairs, Grange Hill. The last ten years you've seen us move from continuing drama reigning supreme to a time where it's had to accept reality and The X Factor - and realise that means we all have to work much harder.

"The loss of The Bill will have a dreadful effect on the ecosystem of drama. It leaves almost all of the training of new talent in the hands of the BBC through EastEnders, Holby and Casualty."

Channel 4's head of drama Camilla Campbell argued: "We have a new talent scheme but you can't only have raw teenagers writing for Skins. You need expert script editors, producers, writers - and they have always come from continuing drama. If you didn't have any of those shows, I don't know how you'd get a job in television."

Left Bank Pictures executive Francis Hopkinson, who worked on The Bill in the '90s, also lamented the programme's fate, claiming that "there's nowhere better to try stuff out".

Meanwhile, The Bill's series producer Tim Key claimed that serials deserve more recognition because they "have to tell stories rooted in reality to a mainstream audience". He added: "That seems to be fading away."

ITV have shifted its now-axed police drama The Bill to Tuesday evenings until its final episode transmits in August, Digital Spy can confirm.

In July, the commercial broadcaster ditched the programme's two 8pm episode for a single, post-watershed screening at 9pmon Thursdays in a bid to increase ailing ratings. The new format also allowed for "darker, grittier and more hard-hitting" storylines.

Last month, however, the decision was made to axe the show entirely after 27 years on air following a rethink of the network's drama lineup.

The Bill's latest move takes effect from this evening at 9pm with the latest instalment titled 'Bad Blood'.

An ITV spokesperson this morning told DS: "The Bill will be moving to Tuesdays due to the election programming, which includes the first ever live election debate this Thursday. Thereafter, The Bill will remain in its Tuesday slot until the end of its run."

They added: "New factual programming will be broadcast on Thursdays in its place."

A new run of Griff Rhys Jones's Greatest Cities Of The World is slated to begin on Thursday, April 22 at 9pm.

DS

A demonstration to save The Bill has been cancelled after just three people promised to attend.

Paul Curry planned the protest at ITV's studios today following the decision to axe the drama after 26 years.

Only two others confirmed.

Paul, of Newcastle, who will now save his £23 coach fare, said: "I can't understand it."

The Bill star Andrew Lancel has claimed that the ITV police drama is currently airing its best episodes to date.

Speaking to Inside Soap, the actor explained that he is particularly impressed by an emotional new storyline for his character Neil Manson, which sees the detective inspector's son Jake diagnosed with leukaemia next week.

ITV announced last month that it was axing The Bill after 27 years. Poor ratings were blamed for the decision.

Reflecting on his time with the programme, Lancel commented: "I've been blessed to receive amazing storylines year after year. I've already watched [next week's] episode and I'm thrilled with it - the show's at its best. That's quite ironic given the decision to wind everything up now."

On what the future holds for his alter ego, he continued: "[Viewers will] see a side to Neil never visible before. His little boy is very sick and he's forced to face up to the reality of that. As a parent, it's hard not to be affected by the storyline. It's been very emotional."

Sorry but I think Shearer is talking bollocks

The Bill legend Trudie Goodwin has claimed that ITV bosses "messed about" with the show unnecessarily.

The police drama was axed by the broadcaster last month after 27 years on the air. Poor ratings were blamed for the decision.

Goodwin, who played Sergeant June Ackland between 1984 and 2007, has now said that the programme's 2009 revamp sealed its fate.

Speaking on Sky1's Angela and Friends, the actress explained: "They messed about with it too much. They moved it around the schedule. It didn't end up being The Bill."

She added: "It's not the show's fault, it's the people who made it over the years."

Well said Trudie. You will forever remain St. June in my eyes.

The Bill shuts up cop shop

A CAR blast and a high-tension police chase will send The Bill out with a bang as it shuts up cop shop after 26 years.

The News of the World was given exclusive access to the set as the tearful actors filmed the 2,400th - and last - episode in Sun Hill.

MORE PHOTOS: The last episode of The Bill

Cast and crew were left reeling in March by ITV bosses' decision to axe the show, after ratings slumped to 3.5 million viewers from a '90s high of 15 million.

An insider said: "It's emotional - everyone is furious with the decision. But we've decided to put two fingers up to ITV and press on with a belting finale."

Filming of the final episode will continue until mid-June, but it will not hit screens until August.

The cast and crew can stick as many fingers up to ITV as they like but the truth is it's the writers fault that the bill has been scrapped. If they hadn't changed the format to the Max Carter and his CID buddies show, then viewers wouldn't have deserted the show. The bill worked when there was a balance of uniform and CID storylines as well as cast members who could act. Unlike it is now were there are only a few who can act and they have to carry the rest of the wooden tops.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

Thread Information