Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kick the habit

kick the habit

Coronation Street's Deirdre Rachid is to try and give up smoking in a new storyline.

Deirdre makes the decision as a special wedding present to Ken, after they marry on April 8, and as a tribute to ex-husband Ray Langton, who dies of stomach cancer.

As a result of the storyline, Anne Kirkbride, who plays Deirdre, will no longer be able to smoke in any of her scenes.

A source told The Mirror, "It's a bit of a politically correct storyline and there are bound to be viewers who will think about giving up.

"Anne loves her fags, like a few other artists. Deirdre isn't always seen smoking, so it's not something that will be totally new for Anne to cope with. But there will be times when people will be betting she could do with lighting one up."

The soap's producers are considering promoting a helpline at the end of each episode to help viewers to give up smoking themselves.

Other characters, including Jack Duckworth and Liz McDonald, will also try and kick the habit.

Hmmm. I think it would be more positive if Anne quit too. Still a good message to send out though!

I think I should quit as well!! I agree, it would be better if Ann quit as well

Hopefully it will lead to more people quitting which can only be agood thing.

These storylines are the ones which Corrie handle so well. Real-life issues portrayed in an interesting and articulate way thats interesting to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by *JSW*
    These storylines are the ones which Corrie handle so well. Real-life issues portrayed in an interesting and articulate way thats interesting to watch.
    It all goes on in the background whilst something major is going on

Quote Originally Posted by judejude
    It all goes on in the background whilst something major is going on
    Indeed it is but its still done so well. Hopefully we'll see her fighting with her addiction and then the different ways to keep you off the ciggies.

Nearly their, it's just nasty friends who bring ciggies to the pub!! and after a few drinks..... too much temptation.

I do think its good they are doing it as its another "real" issue. I reckon it will be obesity next as we've had drug experimentation in Eastenders!

With the rising rate of obesity, I think we will see a storyline soon. It will need to be handled sensitively, we don't want to see a stereotypical type storyline coming out...

I know, if anyone can do corrie can!
    Last edited by judejude; 12-03-2005 at 17:07.

issues are rally well portrayed in soaps now. Weve had teenage Preganancy, STIs, Drug abuse, Child Abuse

The list keeps going

Thread Information