Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lee Hunter (Alex Carter)

Hollyoaks funnyman Alex Carter recently announced his decision to leave the soap after nearly a year back on screen as Lee Hunter, who has been caught up in a bitter love triangle with bunny boiler Leanne Holiday and student teacher Amy Barnes over the past few months. On set at the Hollyoaks Music Show, We recently caught up with Alex for a quick chat about his future plans and why he's bowing out.

Why have you decided to leave Hollyoaks?
    "It just feels like the right time. I love it - I absolutely love working here and I feel really fortunate that I get such good material, but after ten years in soaps, it just feels like a good point to end it."

Looking back, are you glad that you made the decision to return as Lee for a year?
    "Oh yeah, definitely. I definitely wanted to come back to Hollyoaks for a bit because I'd been so quiet at Emmerdale, so I really wanted to be busy and sharp again. Now I feel ready to go for other stuff - I might not get the jobs, but I feel ready to try. I'm fortunate as I know quite a few people, and even if I go and do an episode of Casualty, that to me sounds really exciting!"

Have you enjoyed working with Jessica Forrest, who plays Leanne?
    "She's brilliant. We're mates and it's great. I've been fortunate enough to work with a lot of great people, but Jess is someone who I'm really good friends with. When we were working together, we had some pretty intense stuff, but it just felt like a laugh all the time. Jess talks a lot of sense - which I need sometimes! I'm away with the fairies most of the time, so she helps me to get my head sorted!"

Has Lee's relationship with Amy Barnes also been enjoyable to play?
    "Yeah! It's weird, as when I was here last time, Ashley was just starting as I was leaving and I can barely remember her from then - she was about 15 or 16. But then to come back five or six years later and to be working with her was great. I feel really fortunate, because there's so many people here who I could be working with, but I've been working with two people who I consider friends."

Your 'must dash' scene with Brendan seems to have gone down in Hollyoaks history…
    "People seem to have really picked up on that one, haven't they? That wasn't scripted - it was ad-libbed. From what I remember, something happened where the director changed a scene so she brought myself and Emmett out to do something else!"

When will you be filming your final Hollyoaks scenes?
    "I genuinely don't know yet, but I think it'll be around September. What we're filming at the moment is all Amy stuff, and there's another love triangle going on at the moment as well - but not involving Leanne!"

Will the door be left open for Lee?
    "I don't know - I suppose it depends on whether I've annoyed Gareth Philips and Tony Wood! (Laughs) I don't know what's going to happen yet."

Do you still watch Emmerdale after leaving the show last year?
    "I do, actually! I like sitting down and seeing what everyone's up to - it's quite funny! I keep in touch with everyone by text - people say that all the time, but I genuinely do. I've been out with Tony Audenshaw who plays Bob, and I get on well with him. I actually popped in there about a month ago, when they were moving studios. It's a really nice atmosphere there."

How about Home and Away - do you ever watch that to see what your old friend Emily Symons is up to?
    "Do you know what, I don't! Is she on form at the moment?"

She's been busy kidnapping a baby…
    "Has she - seriously?! Emily's a really good actress - I think she's fantastic. I can't believe that she hasn't been in more things, as she's really good and brilliant at comedy. I might have to track her down - I'll have to phone her. I stayed in touch with her for a while, but I've not spoken to her for about a year now. I remember that whenever we used to speak on the phone, I'd either be drunk or she'd be drunk, because of the time difference! Maybe that's where I should go next! An episode of Casualty, then three episodes of Home and Away, and that'll do me! (Laughs)

You've said that you want to take a break from soaps, but is there any temptation to complete the set after appearing in Coronation Street, Emmerdale and Hollyoaks?
    "Yeah, I'd do EastEnders just for a laugh - just to get the box ticked, if they'd have me! (Laughs) And Doctors - maybe I should do them all in a year!"

When will you be filming your final Hollyoaks scenes?
    "I genuinely don't know yet, but I think it'll be around September. What we're filming at the moment is all Amy stuff, and there's another love triangle going on at the moment as well - but not involving Leanne!"
    Could it be with Amy and Pete?

Thread Information