Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Doc Martin Series 5

Smile Doc Martin Series 5

Martin Clunes has confirmed that Doc Martin will return for a fifth series.

The 48-year-old actor, who stars as grumpy Dr Martin Bamford in the ITV comedy drama, announced that a new run will air in 2011.

Of his hopes for his character's development, Clunes told PA: "I'd like to see him being a father - I think he would be awful and there might be some fun there. I think we're going to experiment with them cohabiting with an infant in tow, which is going to be disastrous.

"I like to see him fail and be punished. If things are going too well, I'll walk him into a door frame or something just to punish him. We hoped people would like it but it's been gratifyingly successful. It's all been a lovely surprise."

However, Clunes was pessimistic about a possible sixth series, saying: "We've talked about a sixth series - they talk quite firmly about it but we'll see. It'd be awful if it just got bad because we're flogging it out and churning things, but we do it every other year because it takes so long to get written so we can keep it fresh."

The long-running show, which aired its fourth series last autumn, continues to be ITV1's highest-rated drama. The former Men Behaving Badly star added of the success: "We hoped people would like it but it's been gratifyingly successful. It's all been a lovely surprise."

Doc Martin has been recommissioned for a fifth series, ITV has announced.

The Martin Clunes-fronted comedy will return in 2011 for eight hour-long episodes.

"Doc Martin is a massive audience pleaser for ITV," said the channel's controller of drama commissioning Sally Haynes.

"We’re thrilled Martin has agreed to play Doc Martin for another series and Phillippa and Buffalo are to produce."

Caroline Catz, Ian McNiece, Joe Absolom and John Marquez are also expected to reprise their roles for the new run.

Well we won't see series 5 up . Havent seen seres 4 thanks to stv.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

Oh, that is a shame Kath

ITV has announced that Martin Clunes will begin filming a fifth series of popular drama Doc Martin this week.

The broadcaster today confirmed that after a two-year gap, Clunes will reprise his role as Dr Martin Ellingham for the new, eight-episode run.

"I have missed our annual visits to Cornwall, and I look forward to spending the next few months in this beautiful part of the country," Clunes said. "I am thrilled to be able to work with such a fabulous cast, and exciting new storylines."

Also returning to their roles are Caroline Catz as Louisa Glasson and Ian McNeice and Joe Absolom as Bert and Al Large.

Dame Eileen Atkins joins the regular cast as Dr Martin's Aunt Ruth, while Jessica Ransom will appear as the new surgery receptionist, Morwenna Newcross.

Guest stars who will appear across the series include Julie Graham, Peter Vaughan, Robert Daws, Louise Jameson and Joanna Scanlan.

The fifth run will see Dr Martin struggling to cope with the demands of fatherhood, as he embarks on a new chapter of his career, which is to take him away from the village of Portwenn.

Teasing what fans can expect, a statement said: "A new GP, Dr Di Dibbs (Joanna Scanlan), and her husband Gavin (Robert Daws), have already moved into his old surgery. But Dr Ellingham begins to have serious doubts about the competence of Dr Dibbs, and, in his familiar tactless way, is not afraid to tell her.

"The doctor also faces the loss of his Aunt Joan, and has to deal with an equally cantankerous relative who comes to live in Portwenn."

Doc Martin is produced for ITV1 by Buffalo Pictures, an independent production company owned by Clunes and his wife Philippa Braithwaite.

Braithwaite said: "We're delighted so many viewers enjoy the series, as much as we enjoy filming and producing Doc Martin with the beautiful backdrop of Cornwall. Our vision is to ensure this series continues to be as fresh, different and bold as when we first went into production."

The drama continues to be a ratings-winner for ITV, with more than 10m tuning in for the series four finale in November 2009.

DS

Does anyone know when in 2011 Doc Martin's new series 5 will be? Can't wait

Monday, 12 September 2011, 9:00PM - 10:00PM

After a two year break to pursue other drama and factual projects, Martin returns to reprise the role of the curmudgeonly Dr Martin Ellingham whose truculent and tactless manner upsets the convivial community of the picture postcard village of Portwenn.

In this new series the doc has a dilemma: how to cope with being a new dad while trying to resume his highflying career as a surgeon.

Eight 60 minute episodes, written by Ben Bolt, Jack Lothian, Richard Stoneman, Chris Hurford and Tom Butterworth, and were filmed around the stunning settings of the North Cornwall coast.

Caroline Catz (Murder in Suburbia, In Denial of Murder, The Vice) returns to play the mother of Doc Martin’s child, primary school headmistress, Louisa Glasson.

Ian McNeice (Frankenstein, White Noise, Dr Who) and Joe Absolom (P.O.W, Vincent, Eastenders) are back as father and son, Bert and Al Large, and John Marquez returns to his role as the village policeman, with Selina Cadell as pharmacist Mrs Tishell. Dame Eileen Atkins (Upstairs Downstairs) joins the regular cast as the doctor’s Aunt Ruth, along with Louise Jameson (EastEnders, Dr Who) as Louisa’s mother Eleanor, and Jessica Ransom (Armstrong and Miller Show) as the new surgery receptionist, Morwenna Newcross.

They are joined by a prestigious line up of guest stars including Julie Graham (Survivors, Bonekickers, William and Mary), Peter Vaughan (Silk, Lark Rise to Candleford, Christmas at the Riviera), Joanna Scanlan (Getting On, The Thick of It), Robert Daws (Coronation Street, The Royal), Miriam Margolyes, John Duttine and Anne Reid.

Martin says: “I missed being in Cornwall, and it has been wonderful to spend a few months in this beautiful part of the country. I am thrilled to have been able to work with such a fabulous cast, and on the exciting new storylines we have for this new series.”

The series is one of ITV’s top rating dramas with more than nine million viewers for the last series in 2009. It is produced for ITV1 by Buffalo Pictures, the independent production company owned by Martin and his wife Philippa Braithwaite (Staggered, Sliding Doors, Hunting Venus), who also produces the series.

“We’re delighted so many viewers enjoy the series, as much as we enjoy filming and producing Doc Martin with the beautiful backdrop of Cornwall. Our vision is to ensure this series continues to be as fresh, different and bold as when we first went into production,” says Philippa.

The new series begins with Dr Martin Ellingham struggling to cope with new fatherhood, as he embarks on a new chapter of his career, which is set to take him away from the small Cornish village.

Sleepless nights take their toll on the doc and his partner Louisa Glasson, and put their shaky relationship under strain. Can they make it work this time round?

A new GP, Dr Di Dibbs (Joanna Scanlan), and her husband Gavin (Robert Daws), have already moved into his old surgery. But Dr Ellingham begins to have serious doubts about the competence of Dr Dibbs, and, in his familiar tactless way, is not afraid to tell her.

The doctor also faces the loss of his Aunt Joan, and has to deal with an equally cantankerous relative who comes to live in Portwenn.

Doc Martin is produced for ITV1 by Buffalo Pictures in association with Homerun Productions. The producer is Philippa Braithwaite and the directors are Ben Bolt and Paul Seed. The executive producer is Mark Crowdy.

EPISODE ONE:

Dr Martin Ellingham (Martin Clunes) is struggling to come to terms with fatherhood. The baby boy born to him and his estranged partner, Louisa Glasson (Caroline Catz) , is about to change their lives dramatically.

The curmudgeonly GP with no bedside manner planned to resume his highflying career as a consultant in London. He had packed his bags and moved out of the surgery to make way for the new GP, Dr Di Dibbs (Joanna Scanlan).

But the arrival of ‘baby’ - neither the doctor nor Louisa can agree on a name for their son - means Dr Ellingham has to adjust his plans. He moves into Louisa’s house to help with the baby, but it is an awkward situation for both of them.

Dr Dibbs is newly qualified and excited at the prospect of moving into her first surgery, with husband Gavin (Robert Daws) as the practice manager. However Dr Ellingham begins to have serious doubts about the competency of the new GP after she misdiagnoses a patient, and dishes out prescriptions for totally inappropriate drugs. She even misdiagnoses her own illness, which almost proves fatal.

Her confidence is waning fast as Dr Ellingham, in his familiar brash manner, makes clear he doesn’t think she is up to the job.

Dr Dibbs realises she has to go, and Dr Ellingham agrees to resume duties at the surgery until a replacement GP can be found.

With all the upheaval the doc is unprepared for a devastating personal blow. He hears that his Aunt Joan has died after having a heart attack at the wheel of her car.

I hate to spoil everyone's joy at the return of Doc Martin, but I think it's up against the new and final series of Spooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chloe O'brien View Post
    I hate to spoil everyone's joy at the return of Doc Martin, but I think it's up against the new and final series of Spooks.
    The Doc will win with me

Traitor watch Spooks.

Thread Information