Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buchanan 'sues over Sugababes name'

Buchanan 'sues over Sugababes name'

Keisha Buchanan is reportedly suing the current Sugababes in an attempt to stop the band from using its name.

Buchanan was asked to leave the band last year and was replaced by Jade Ewen. The move meant that none of the original Sugababes members were still involved in the band.

According to the Sunday Mirror, Buchanan has now launched a legal bid to claim a stake in the band, which she founded in 1998.

The High Court action reportedly demands that the current Sugababes members - Ewen, Heidi Range and Amelle Berrabah - either change the group's name or pay her a one-off sum, which could amount to millions of pounds.

"This is a landmark case and will send shockwaves through the industry," a source said. "The Sugababes are one of the most successful girlbands of all time, but if they are forced to change their name it would be absolutely disastrous for them.

"It would be very hard for them to maintain any credibility if they had no original band members and were called something else.

"Keisha was an integral member from the very beginning so it is easy to understand why she is acting like this. She even came up with the band's name with fellow founder member Mutya Buena and deserves something for making the Sugababes what they are today."

Range recently claimed that being in the Sugababes was "unbearable" before the lineup change.

fair play- it was her group!

I think Keisha has every right to have a say in the Sugababes name. I think the band is doing well at the moment because they are using songs that Keisha co-wrote? So once they have run out of that material, they could go down the pan anyway. But I agree that if they are forced to change their band's name it will be a disaster for them.
    Carpe Diem ~ seize the day!

Ex-Sugababes member Mutya Buena has applied to own the group's name, it has been confirmed.

The star, who left the girlband in 2005, has appealed to the European Trademarks Authority for permission, BBC News reports.

Buena recently complained that the name no longer makes sense because none of the original members now remain in the lineup.

Buena said at the time: "It just means the Sugababes have ended because there are no original people remaining."

It is understood that Kilburn and Strode, the firm that has put forward the application, is "hopeful" that registration will be accepted in the next few months.

Sugababes currently consists of Heidi Range, Amelle Berrabah and Jade Ewen.

i dont think mutya has any right to do this, she walked out of the group of her own accord!

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    i dont think mutya has any right to do this, she walked out of the group of her own accord!
    but according to the first post "Buchanan was asked to leave the band last year " so she didn't decide to quit.. she was asked to leave
    Super Mod

thats Keisha Siobhan, Bry's on about Mutya who left in 2005
    Happy New Year SoapBoards!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_2k10 View Post
    thats Keisha Siobhan, Bry's on about Mutya who left in 2005
    Oops.. sorry Bry and Chris... they are all confusing me with the suing
    Super Mod

its one drama after another in sugababes land lol
    Happy New Year SoapBoards!

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Not sure, but I think she has the other original girls' backing.

Thread Information