Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Downton Abbey

Yeah, very good news, I am really enjoying this.

Quote Originally Posted by parkerman View Post
    Yes, me too. The only slight criticism I have is that the antipathy shown to Bates in the first episode seems to have been completely forgotten. I know that he was kept on by the Earl, but I'm sure that Thomas and whatshername wouldn't have stopped plotting to get him out so that Thomas could have his job.
    I thought that when their plot failed, they knew it was useless to try again. I don't think the animosity would have stopped, though that hasn't been shown.

Quote Originally Posted by Chloe O'brien View Post
    Yeah I'm surprised there has been more animousity between Bates, Thomas and O'brien.
    Ooops, I should have remembered it was O'Brien. I'm sure you wouldn't ever forget that!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post
    I thought that when their plot failed, they knew it was useless to try again. I don't think the animosity would have stopped, though that hasn't been shown.
    Yes but do you not think it is bubbling under the surface and it will come back in a later episode?

Quote Originally Posted by moonstorm View Post
    Yes but do you not think it is bubbling under the surface and it will come back in a later episode?
    Yes, that's a distinct possibility. As Parkerman said, it would be strange for the animosity to stop completely.

Sunday, 24 October 2010, 9:00PM - 10:00PM

Spoiler:
    Sybil informs Gwen that she has applied for a position on Gwen’s behalf. Gwen is thrilled to discover she has an interview and she fakes a headache in order to make it. Sybil takes the governess cart and together with Gwen speeds off towards the town. Although the interview goes well the pair run into problems on their return journey and with the family worrying about Sybil’s whereabouts, they arrive at Downton late, wet and miserable.

Daisy is unable to get over what she witnessed on the night of Pamuk’s death and O‘Brien and Thomas suspect that the girl knows something. O’Brien deliberately hints to Edith that Daisy is hiding what she knows and that it may be harmful to Mary. Bearing out Cora’s worries about the rivalry between her daughters, Edith at once summons Daisy to her. This is too frightening for Daisy to withstand and she tells Edith everything.

In the village hall, they are preparing for the summer flower show. Isobel learns that Violet always wins the Grantham Cup for Best Bloom, despite Molesley’s father, Bill, growing the best roses. Violet denies that any outside influence is ever brought to bear. Isobel isn’t convinced.

Cora informs Robert of a rumour going round London questioning Mary’s virtue. Who could be spreading it? Surely not Evelyn Napier. Cora wants Mary married. She suggests a local landowner, Sir Anthony Strallan. Robert is unconvinced. Strallan is too old and stuffy. Mary rejects the plan. She tells Cora to concentrate on Edith’s marital prospects, she needs all the help she can get. Edith is listening. Mrs Patmore seems fretful. Nothing is right, and Mrs Hughes notes to Carson that Daisy is bearing the brunt. Cora has the recipe for a pudding that she’d like to give to Sir Anthony. Mrs Patmore will have none
    of it and shouts at Daisy when she suggests she could read the new recipe to her. However, later, as pudding is served, Sir Anthony splutters in disgust. The whole thing is covered with salt instead of sugar. Mrs Patmore is quick to blame Daisy but when she is alone with Carson, she confesses she thinks she’s going blind. Carson reveals this to Mrs Hughes and although she sympathises, she makes it known that this behaviour cannot continue.

Thomas is almost caught stealing wine by Bates and when Thomas’s bullying of William continues, the boy has an ally in Bates who foolishly hints to Thomas that he might reveal the latter’s stealing of the wine to Mr Carson. He never would, but Thomas looks to O’Brien for help and they embroil a naive Daisy into their plan.

One of Robert’s snuff boxes has gone missing and Carson rounds up the servants. Anna realises that Thomas and O’Brien are involved. She warns Bates and sure enough he finds the missing box has been planted in his room. But, although he enjoys watching O’Brien and Thomas fret when Carson demands a room search, in the end he replaces it without giving them away. Anna tells Bates how she feels about him,but he cannot allow himself to respond. Something in his past is preventing him.

Matthew makes it clear to Isobel that he has no interest in Edith, and responds to Mary’s attention. But a misjudged act of sisterly rivalry, designed to make a fool of Edith in front of Sir Anthony, sees Matthew make an early exit. Mary’s anxiety at his departure demonstrates her growing attraction to the heir. Which does not go unnoticed by Robert. At the flower show, Violet announces the winner of The Grantham Cup…Mr. Molesley…The village is too surprised to clap. A weeping Molesley is pushed onto the stage to receive the cup. Violet is at first rather annoyed and then finally pleased by her new status as village benefactor. That night, in her bedroom,Edith has written a letter. She addresses the envelope. “His Excellency the Turkish Ambassador, 43 Belgrave Square, London, SW.” She licks the flap and seals it with relish.

When do we get to the part that Bates knocks ten bells out of Thomas.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

Former Coronation Street star Rob James-Collier has admitted that he was fully prepared for a career dry patch when he bowed out from the soap.

The actor's decision to leave the role of Weatherfield's Liam Connor was announced in February 2008, and viewers saw the character killed off in a hit-and-run in October of the same year.

Speaking to TV Times about life away from the cobbles, James-Collier commented: "After leaving a massive show with a huge following like Coronation Street, you have to make your choices carefully and be prepared not to work for a while."

He continued: "I knew it was going to be a stretch before casting directors would look at me and not see Liam."

The 34-year-old told the magazine that he ultimately turned down a number of jobs because he was holding out for the right role after departing the Street.

He said: "The benefit on being on something like Corrie is you can save up a little nest egg, so you know that, when you go, you have that as a fallback. You can take your time and make the right choice, without money being too much of a concern."

James-Collier is currently appearing as footman Thomas in ITV1's Downton Abbey.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (13-10-2010)

Rob James-Collier was very sensible to save up his money while on Corrie to see him through a dry patch. He took a risk turning down jobs to wait for the right role, but it's really paid off for him - he's very good as Downton Abbey's sly Thomas.

Sunday, 31 October 2010, 9:00PM - 10:00PM

Spoiler:
    Bates lets it slip to Robert that Sybil went to a political rally, with Branson. The news that she wants to offer her support is met with bewilderment from her father and disgust from her grandmother. Cora’s position is less clear.

Gwen is despondent regarding her luck with her attempts to become a secretary. Sybil urges Gwen not to give up her dreams. As far as Sybil’s dreams are concerned, she is frustrated when Robert forbids her to attend the High Sherriff’s reading of the election results as she realises she is a natural Suffragette.

However, she is determined and she ensnares an unsuspecting and love struck Branson into her plan of how to get there. Mary’s horse is lame and William offers to look at it. He and Mary discuss his strong family bond and how proud his mother is, to see him a footman at Downton. Mary finds she likes the young man and when Isobel informs her that William’s mother is gravely ill, but that she does not want William to know or to visit her, Mary makes up her mind to overturn this, despite Isobel’s and Cora’s protests that this would go against his mother wishes.

Sir Anthony Strallan calls to see if Mary would like to try out his new automobile. She’s busy but Edith would be delighted. This is a slight disappointment but he soon discovers that Edith is far more suited to him than Mary would have been. He really enjoys her company and returns to invite Edith to accompany him to a concert – much to her delight.

Daisy has lied to Mr Carson, in order to help Thomas, but now she realises this was not honourable and informs Carson. Bates is cleared of any wrong doing, but he will not inform on Thomas and instead hands in his notice, informing Carson, Anna and Mrs Hughes that they have been misled by him. He has been a drunkard and in the past has been imprisoned as a thief.

Carson has had a letter informing him of the rumours harming Mary. He feels it his duty to report them to Cora, who, although shocked, knows a lot more than Carson when it comes to the truth. Sybil and Branson attend the High Sherriff’s reading of the election results. Matthew is there and he can see that trouble is brewing. He tries to usher Sybil away. But, before he can, he is embroiled in a fight and
    Sybil is knocked unconscious. Matthew alerts Mary and takes Sybil to Isobel for treatment. Matthew’s tenderness towards Sybil affects the sisters. Which does not go unnoticed by Isobel.

Robert also witnesses the new turn in Mary and Matthew’s relationship, which develops into a kiss and a marriage proposal. An amazed Mary tells Cora the news. However, Mary feels honour bound to reveal the truth about Pamuk, knowing this could destroy everything. Robert is incensed when he learns that Sybil went to hear the results against his wishes and informs her that Branson will be fired. But he relents when she, Mary and Matthew attempt to defend him. Violet has also received a letter repeating the story about Mary. Learning of the proposal, Violet immediately writes back to quash the rumours. Together she and Cora devise a plan to reassess Mary’s marital status later in the year, should she turn Matthew down.

Thread Information