Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Downton Abbey

She's great, and it's unusual for her to be on TV, so this must be a classy programme.

Rob James-Collier had to "up his game" to keep up with his 'Downton Abbey' co-stars.

The former 'Coronation Street' actor - who plays corrupt footman Thomas in the new ITV1 period drama - felt like he had to give "120 per cent" when starring alongside Maggie Smith and Hugh Bonneville in the show, because acting has always been difficult for him.

He told BANG Showbiz: "Acting has been a challenge for me from day one. I've got friends who acting just comes naturally to them. I've had to work really hard.

"With a cast like this, I had to be working at 120 per cent the whole time just to keep up with them, but that can only make me a better actor. It's definitely made me up my game."

The 34-year-old star - who previously played Liam Connor in ITV1's 'Coronation Street' - also admitted he feels very "lucky" in his career, as there are people who are much better actors than him.

He explained: "It was just a quirk of fate that I fell into it. I wasn't happy with what I was doing, but I had never specifically intended to become an actor. My friend was doing a student film at Salford University and one of the actors dropped out. Me being me, I was game for a laugh and turned up and did this part unpaid on a cold Sunday morning on my day off and ended up absolutely loving it.

"I went through the Yellow Pages to find an agent and called up the first bloke I saw and started acting classes the next week. Four months later I got my first job! I was incredibly lucky. There are a lot of people who are better actors out there than me."

The first episode of the seven-part drama series aired last night (26.09.10) on ITV1.

I really enjoyed this program last night.
    Thanks CrazyLea

Really enjoyed it last night - a must for me every Sun night now. Didn't recognise "Liam Connor" as the footman at first but really enjoyed him.

I enjoyed it too. But I kept thinking that Robert Timmins was going to deliver some common sense homely lecture until I realised that Brendan Coyle was now playing Bates the Valet instead. Brendan always seems to be such a nice man, whoever he's playing!

Brendan Coyle seems to do a lot of costume dramas. He was also in North and South a couple of years ago.

I really enjoyed the opening episode of Downton Abbey and am looking forward to the rest of the series. Rob James-Collier was better than I expected too - very different from Liam.

ITV has ordered a second series of Downton Abbey.

The period drama, which was written by Julian Fellowes, focuses on the Crawley family and the servants working for them.

The third episode aired on Sunday night, picking up overnight ratings of 8.1m.

ITV has now revealed that it has recommissioned the series, which stars Dame Maggie Smith, Hugh Bonneville, Brendan Coyle, Penelope Wilton and Elizabeth McGovern.

ITV's director of drama commissioning Laura Mackie said: "We're delighted with the audience response to Downton Abbey and the positive critical reaction. We're extremely proud to have commissioned a series which has clearly captivated ITV1 viewers.

"Consequently, we're thrilled to be announcing the recommission of a new series for 2011 which will allow us to spend more time with the Crawley family and their servants."

The current series of Downton Abbey continues on Sunday at 9pm on ITV1.

Good news!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (12-10-2010)

I'm happy about that, too I've been really enjoying Downton Abbey.

Yes, me too. The only slight criticism I have is that the antipathy shown to Bates in the first episode seems to have been completely forgotten. I know that he was kept on by the Earl, but I'm sure that Thomas and whatshername wouldn't have stopped plotting to get him out so that Thomas could have his job.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

Chloe O'brien (12-10-2010)

Yeah I'm surprised there has been more animousity between Bates, Thomas and O'brien. Glad that there will be a second series as it's had tough competition on Sunday nights, especially this week with David Tennant's (Single Father) and David Morrissey (Thorne Sky1)

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Chloe O'brien For This Useful Post:

parkerman (12-10-2010)

Thread Information