Thread: Ada Nicodemou praises gritty 'H&A' plots

Ada Nicodemou praises gritty 'H&A' plots

Home and Away star Ada Nicodemou has praised the soap's producers for tackling the issues of racism and agoraphobia.

Fans will soon see the actress's alter ego Leah Patterson-Baker feeling too scared to leave her home as she struggles to cope with the trauma of Summer Bay's recent race riot and subsequent Diner fire.

Discussing her character's new plotline, Nicodemou told TV Week: "It was interesting because I haven't done anything like this before. On a personal level, I'm glad the story happened - and it's great that Home and Away is dealing with racism."

On what viewers can expect from the story, she explained: "The anxiety makes [Leah] question her job at the Diner and a whole range of stuff. Basically, she doesn't want to leave her house and her friends are really worried about her.

"Audiences will see a really broken Leah. She's usually full of heart and spirit. She's always been a real fighter, but everything gets stripped away from her and she can't even deal with looking after her son VJ."

Nicodemou recently said that she will have a new romance storyline this year.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (12-02-2010)

I'm looking forward to seeing this storyline with Leah. I think Ada is great, and it's about time she had a good storyline again.
    Also looking forward to the new romance for her this year.

This should be a good storyline. It's interesting to see established characters go through mental trauma, though they usually recover far too easily in soaps.

Did her boyfriend die in the fire? Can't remember his name, the one that got harassed by the riot lot

He was severely injured, but he's not dead at the moment. That could change, of course.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

Perdita (12-02-2010)

im glad as well, i love Lea, shes not had many big storys recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy
    i love Lea
    You are too kind
    Last edited by CrazyLea; 12-02-2010 at 17:23.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyLea For This Useful Post:

Katy (13-02-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    Did her boyfriend die in the fire? Can't remember his name, the one that got harassed by the riot lot
    Hazam.

Home and Away are NOT dealing with racism. I see racism every day and I can guarantee you that H&A are portraying it in a sterotypical light that does not reflect society.

Race and racism are two very different concepts which many people struggle to grasp.
    Thanks CrazyLea

I said to someone the other day that if H&A really want to tackle racism, they should have permanent cast members of all races instead of the occasional, preachy storyline. Anyone watching H&A or Neighbours would think that there were no other ethnicities in Australia than white.

Thread Information