Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: American Idol 2011

American Idol has confirmed the date on which it will unveil the upcoming tenth season's judges.

Fox announced in an email to Entertainment Weekly that it will hold an Idol press conference at The Forum, Los Angeles on Wednesday, September 22 at 12pm PST to reveal who will make up next year's panel.

Show host Ryan Seacrest is to attend the event and will be joined by the new panellists as well as Idol bosses, reportedly including exec producers Nigel Lythgoe, Cecile Frot-Coutaz and Simon Fuller.

Singer/actress Jennifer Lopez and Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler have both been strongly linked with joining the show.

Simon Cowell, Ellen DeGeneres and Kara DioGuardi have all exited the series. The only other judge remaining from last season, Randy Jackson, is yet to confirm his status.

Jennifer Lopez and Aerosmith singer Steven Tyler have been unveiled as the new judges on 'American Idol'.

At a press conference announcing their appointment, Lopez said she was "looking for the next Michael Jackson".

Tyler said of his new role: "[It] feels like the perfect feathered nest. It's being a part of something much bigger than yourself. I want to bring some rock to this roller coaster."

Returning judge Randy Jackson said: "We found some unbelievable talent and I am calling season 10 the remix, baby!"

The new series of 'American Idol' begins on American television on 10 January.

i am really pleased Steve Tyler is there! hopefully that will mean more rock songs!

More change is afoot for American Idol, which will air on a different night for its forthcoming 10th season.

The Fox TV network said its hit singing contest will move from Tuesday and Wednesday nights to Wednesdays and Thursdays when it returns.

Its season debut is on January 19.

The switch means more big change for American Idol, which is bringing in new judges Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez after the departures of Simon Cowell, Ellen DeGeneres and Kara DioGuardi. Randy Jackson will be back on the panel.

Fox's decision to move the series comes as American Idol fights to keep its number one spot.

The show's ratings have been declining, with this year's finale between winner Lee DeWyze and runner-up Crystal Bowersox drawing about 24 million viewers, down five million from 2009.

Simon Cowell has said he's happy that Steven Tyler will take his place as a judge on American Idol.

The X Factor judge, who attended the International Emmy Awards in New York with his fiance Mezhgan Hussainy, said: "I always said it had to be someone who wasn't better looking than me and they achieved it."

He added that the Aerosmith frontman seems like a nice guy, and Randy Jackson told him they were having a lot of fun.

He believes Steven can adequately fill his shoes, but stopped short of saying the rock star would damage his credibility being on the show.

Simon said the role of judge is something that Steven wants to do and added: "It's a fun job. You got to take it like that. You can't take it too seriously."

American Idol and its new team of judges seem to be losing viewers, initial ratings for the latest series show.

Media research company Nielsen said 26.2 million people watched the two-hour season premiere of US television's most popular show on Wednesday night - 13 per cent down from the 29.9 million people who saw last year's season debut.

Nielsen said there was an even steeper ratings drop of 18 per cent among the youthful audience the Fox network wants to attract.

Jennifer Lopez and Aerosmith's Steven Tyler appeared for the first time as judges, their style considerably nicer than Simon Cowell, who has left the talent show to concentrate on the US version of The X Factor.

But a Fox executive said the network was pleased there was still so much interest in the show and that chatter on social media about the new hosts seemed mostly positive.

The show's ratings also grew during each of its four half-hours, said Nielsen.

Meanwhile, Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz Junior said he was 'thoroughly disgusted' by the show's depiction of the Bronx. The final contestant was 16-year-old, Travis Orlando, from the Bronx who had lived briefly with his family in a homeless shelter.

Thia Megia and Naima Adedapo have been eliminated from the tenth season of American Idol.

The singers, who had fallen into the bottom three alongside Paul Mcdonald, were sent home tonight after it was revealed by host Ryan Seacrest that they had received the lowest number of votes following last night's performances.

The singers who are still in the running are Lauren Alaina, Casey Abrams, Paul McDonald, Pia Toscano, James Durbin, Jacob Lusk, Haley Reinhart, Stefano Langone, and Scotty McCreery.

The Top 11 all took to the stage together in smaller groups, with Lauren and Scotty singing a duet entitled 'I Told You So' by Randy Travis. Naima and Jacob performed Ashford & Simpson's 'Solid' while Haley, Thia and Pia chose Katy Perry's 'Teenage Dream'. Casey, James, Paul and Stefano also came together for a rendition of 'Band On The Run' by Paul McCartney and Wings.

Tonight's episode also featured performances from former American Idol winner Fantasia Barrino with her single 'Collard Greens and Cornbread', as well as will.i.am and Jamie Foxx with their new song 'Hot Wings' from the upcoming film Rio.

American Idol continues next Wednesday on Fox.

DS

Jeff Beck will accompany the American Idol finalists during next week's rock themed episode.

It has been confirmed that the Top 9 will perform tracks from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on Wednesday night's instalment of the Fox competition.

They will take to the stage alongside Beck, Ray Chew and the American Idol band.

Season four finalist Constantine Maroulis, who currently stars on Broadway's Rock of Ages, will perform on the Thursday evening results show.

This week's American Idol saw more than 55 million votes cast after the contestants performed tracks by Sir Elton John on Wednesday, setting a new record for the most votes cast this early in the competition.

Two singers were eliminated on Thursday night following the judges' decision to save Casey Abrams the previous week, while will.i.am and Jamie Foxx, and season three winner Fantasia performed.

The contestants' performances from this week are available as studio tracks individually or in a compilation album on iTunes now.

American Idol airs Wednesdays and Thursdays on Fox.

DS

American Idol has confirmed the theme for next week's performance show.

The Top 4 will take to the stage on Wednesday night to tackle tracks by songwriting and producing team Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller.

Among their numerous hits are 'Jailhouse Rock', 'Hound Dog', 'Charlie Brown', 'I (Who Have Nothing'),'Stand By Me' (with Ben E. King) and 'Yakety Yak'. The pair were inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1985 and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1987.

Previous themes this season have included the songs of Sir Elton John, tracks from the year the contestants were born, and songs by their favourite artists.

Next week's American Idol will also see Lady GaGa joining Jimmy Iovine to mentor the finalists as they prepare for their live show performances.

This week's show saw the Top 5 tackling one song from the 1960s and one current track. After more than 60 million votes were cast by the public, this season's Top 4 were chosen. Jennifer Lopez and Pitbull performed their track 'On The Floor' on the results show, while Lady Antebellum also took to the stage.

American Idol airs Wednesdays and Thursdays at 8/7c on Fox.

DS

Scotty McCreery has been named the winner of the tenth season of American Idol.

The 17-year-old from North Carolina scooped the recording contract prize over fellow contestant Lauren Alaina in tonight's live finale of the Fox competition.

Both singers had performed three tracks on last night's show: one chosen by them, one selected by celebrity guests Carrie Underwood and George Strait and the song they would release if they won.

"Man, it's been a year since me and Marlena tried out now. We've been together since day one and we're going to stay together. I gotta thank the Lord first, because he got me here," he said following his win.

McCreery's original song is called 'I Love You This Big'. His performance last night had prompted Randy Jackson to marvel at his vocal maturity, while Jennifer Lopez appreciated his storytelling ability and Steven Tyler applauded his attempt at taking chances every week.

The episode opened with the return of this season's Top 13 who took to the stage in all-white for a rendition of Lady GaGa's 'Born This Way'. GaGa herself also appeared later in the show to perform her new single 'The Edge of Glory'.

James Durbin also performed 'Living After Midnight' with Judas Priest while Jacob Lusk and Kirk Franklin took on 'I Smile' with a surprise appearance by Gladys Knight. Casey Abrams sang 'Fat Bottomed Girls' with Jack Black.

The girls then took to the stage for a group medley performance of Beyoncé's songs featuring the singer herself, and Haley Reinhart duetted with Tony Bennett on 'Steppin Out'. Soon after, the boys were given the opportunity to sing with Tom Jones.

Beyoncé also returned later in the show for an acoustic performance for her new single 'One Plus One Plus One'.

TLC also took to the stage to perform some of their classic hits with help from Lil Jon and the Top 13 girls. Later, Marc Anthony sang his latest single 'Aguanile' with an appearance by his wife and Idol judge Jennifer Lopez. Bono and The Edge also appeared with the cast of Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark for a performance of 'Rise Above The Dark' from the Broadway show.

The top two also got their chance to perform again, with Scotty McCreery singing 'Live Like You're Dying' with Tim McGraw and Lauren Alaina shared a duet of 'Before He Cheats' with season four Idol champion Carrie Underwood. Judge and Aerosmith rocker Steven Tyler also hit the stage before the results were announced for a version of the band's song 'Dream On'.

American Idol airs on Fox.

Thread Information