Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping

Sleeping

I've always has pretty bad sleeping patterns, or sleeping problems, but it is getting worse.
    I could not get to sleep last night AT ALL, and the same 2 nights before and a couple of nights before that too.

I'm not tired now, after not sleeping well last night, but the other ones I was.. So tired that I was just in a terrible mood with everyone, and it's kinda stressing me out.

What can I do to try get a good nights sleep, not toss and turn and get frustrated all night?

Is there anything worring you that is knocking your sleeping patern haywire? I find I sleep better if I let my brain relax before bed. Turn of the tv and comp about an hour before bed and sit and read instead. Try drinking calomine tea or hot choc if that doesn't help, there are over the counter rememdies that can be used as a shot term solutions such as Nytol.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

Well I don't think so? Is there a chance that there is, and I don't know about it?
    But like I say I've always had issues with my sleeping pattern..

Do you reckon the fact that I drink a lot of tea, and at the moment a lot of coke in the day could contribute to it??
    And sometimes I drink alcohol in the evening, do you think that doesn't help?

Thing with me aswell, is I have to have complete silence in order to sleep, and lately been staying at mates a lot, and most my mates snore, or breathe really heavily in their sleep, and I am a light sleeper, so I just stay awake, getting more and more frustrated with it, rather than attempting to sleep??

Think I will try the reading thing... and maybe the tea thing..

I did once use an over the counter thing, not sure what it was, and I think that did help a bit aswell, so might invest in something of that variety when I get my money.

Thanks Kath.

Yeah the caffine doesn't help late at night so cut down on the fizzy juice and booze. try and limit the booze to just at weekends. I'm like you Lea I need silence and total darkness for me to sleep. I hate noise when I'm trying to sleep I wake up at the least sound. remedies like Nytol are fine for a short term solution as you can buy herbal ones as well. If it continues maybe a visit to the doctors wouldn't hurt.

Yeah will try cut out the late night tea :| and the alcohol. But it'll be hard (ha sound like I'm an alcoholic ha).

Think also, it doesn't help, that when I get like no sleep or a couple of hours sleep, I am napping in the day/evening, so I am just more awake when I actually do go to bed!

Getting to the point where I don't want to go to bed, because I know I'll just be lying there, awake all the time :|

I can be watching the tv and have little naps while watching it but as soon as I go to bed my brain is active and although my eyes are closed my brain is working overtime. That's why I suggested turning off the tv and p to rela you. Try avoiding napping in the day, cut down on caffine and snaks after 8pm and find a book and try and read for a bit once your relaxed in bed you'll soon fall asleep.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chloe O'brien For This Useful Post:

CrazyLea (06-02-2010)

My OH is a snorer but I have some earplugs on my bedside table and they help to reduce the volume and get me some sleep. I agree with Kath with the other suggestions about booze, cola, tv and computer

Cut down on the amount of caffeine you consume. This includes tea. Tea actually has more caffeine gram for gram than coffee. Don't drink tea or coke after 5pm.

Get a bedside lamp so that you can dim the lights in the evening. Something to do with melatonin (sleep hormone), it increases when the environment is darker.

Don't nap during the day. As difficult as it is, its not going to help you get back into a proper routine.

Read a book to help your mind unwind. I know you said you need complete silence to sleep but I find having Classic FM on low in the background when I'm going to sleep helps.

An eye mask might be a good idea if your room is quite bright.

Short term I'd recommend Nytol to get you back into feeling tired. They're not good long term though (speaking from experience) as they're addictive and cause more problems than the original one.
    Thanks CrazyLea

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Abigail For This Useful Post:

CrazyLea (07-02-2010)

I can only sleep in total silence too, so completely understand your frustration with your mates' breathing and snoring. Earplugs are a godsend for me in this respect.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

CrazyLea (07-02-2010)

I use an eyemask to sleep. If I can hear my neighbours at night I use earplugs. I also write in a journal (just a big notebook) where I write about my day and my worries. It really helps me to get it out of my head and problem solve. Sometimes I have a mug of hot milk in the evening. Camomile tea + a spoon of honey is nice too. I have used Nytol before, and it is okay if you're kinda already sleepy, but sometimes I need to use sleeping tablets - from my doctor. Exercise during the day is good because it makes you physically tired at night. Sometimes I go for a walk, or sometimes I use my exercise bike.
    Last edited by megan999; 06-02-2010 at 16:56.
    Carpe Diem ~ seize the day!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to megan999 For This Useful Post:

CrazyLea (07-02-2010)

Thread Information