Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctors

Man if the BBC cut anything else they'll be nothing left to watch except repeats.
    They've axed so many good drama's and then just repeat show like New Tricks which i do like but i don't need it repeated coz they've axed all the other good shows! soooo annoying.
    They better not axe Doctors its a great show.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jessie Wallace For This Useful Post:

alan45 (14-04-2010)

Peter Lloyd (Series Producer, 'Doctors')

Digital Spy's Producer Season continues with an exclusive interview with Doctors' long-standing series producer Peter Lloyd. The BBC daytime soap scooped two trophies at this year's British Soap Awards - Ami Metcalf (Sapphire Cox) as 'Best Dramatic Performance For A Young Actor Or Actress' and Jan Pearson and Chris Walker (Karen and Rob Hollins) for 'Best On-Screen Partnership'. Here, Peter teases about what's to come over the next few months in the fictional Birmingham suburb of Letherbridge and reveals which series regular is to bow out in the summer.

Will Dr Lily Hassan ever be returning? Was her exit always planned?
    "You never know! We did feel that we'd reached the end of Lily's story with Sapphire and wanted to give the character a positive 'out'. But I thought Lily was a successful character who provided a great contrast to the others in the gang."

How do you feel about bringing Christopher Timothy's Dr Brendan McGuire back, even if it's only for one episode?
    "I don't know why we'd do that unless there was a very good reason. The show has moved on a great deal since Chris was with us so I don't think anyone would want the character back just out of nostalgia. But if it's motivated, if it has an impact on our characters and makes sense dramatically, then never say never. Actually, we are bringing back another face from the past later in the year which will make a lot of people happy, but I'm going keep you guessing on that one!"

If Julia can forgive and forget with regard to everyone else, why can't she do so for Daniel? Will we ever see Julia's attitude towards Daniel change? Does Julia secretly fancy Daniel?
    "It's interesting, isn't it? I love the dynamic between these two - I have my own theories, so do Di and Matt but we've yet to answer the question, maybe we will, maybe we won't. Something is going to happen between them in September which might shed some light on this."

Are there any new arrivals or departures you can tell us about?
    "We will be saying goodbye to Michelle in the summer. Donnaleigh has been with us for just over four years now and feels it's time to spread her wings and try something new in her career, which is understandable since she's been here virtually from drama school. She's got a great exit story which I'm very excited about which I think will be very popular with viewers. We'll also be getting a new female doctor called Elaine who will have a new take on the surgery and will be very interesting to have around."

What does the future hold for Michelle?
    "A huge challenge that's going to test her physically and mentally. It's heart-breaking and heart-warming and a radical life change for her, I can't wait for the viewers to see what happens in the summer because I'm really excited about what we're doing with her."

The tenth birthday celebration of Doctors was very short and not as good as fans expected - why didn't you push the boat out?
    "Money, in a word. As everyone knows, all our budget goes into the programmes, we just don't have the resources to do something huge. Daytime were great in making the mini documentaries, but I understand people wanting more."

Is Seán Gleeson still going to direct for Doctors in the future?
    "I'm sure we will see him again, we enjoyed what he did with his last episodes, so keep an eye on the listings in the future…"

What have you planned for the Hollinses as a family?
    "Karen's going to be changing career, kind of, and so is Rob, later in the year. Jack and Imogen both have a little growing up to do, and Michelle's story is going to have quite an impact on them. Plus, it's time Imogen had a proper boyfriend and Jack buckled down and did some proper work! This family have been so successful, you can pretty much throw anything at them, including their recent Soap Award! Towards the end of the year, I'm throwing them a really doozy..."

Can viewers expect a 'happily ever after' for Daniel and Zara?
    "Well, that would be far too easy, wouldn't it? They're just too alike, too contrary, it's always going to be a rocky road for them, but that's what makes it so much fun with these two. They do try to be in a 'normal relationship' and the results are hilarious, they even go on a conventional date – bowling! But things are slowly going to even out for Daniel as he gets to see his daughter regularly and he feels a bit more stable in life. Inevitably that's all going to come crashing down later, but stay posted for that one..."

Is Charlie hiding any dark secrets? If so, can you give us any clues?
    "Oh yes. Just when you think you know Charlie, something else crops up. Our writers have loved writing for him, because he's one of those characters who'll happily say that wrong thing and be completely unapologetic about it. But of course he has a sinister side and that's going to come out more and more – his treatment of the female members of the team is an indication, so is his increasing homophobia towards Simon. How dark can he get? Very! Keep watching!"

Any update on a BBC Three repeat slot or a weekend omnibus?
    "No is the short answer! There aren't any plans for either, but do remember that Doctors is repeated every day on the BBC HD Channel at 6.30pm and of course you can always catch up with us on BBC iPlayer."

And also on the cards...
    § Julia starts to crumble, but what could be causing it? Is she just getting too old?
    § Life starts to take a turn for the better for Jimmi - about time, say viewers!
    § What happens when Daniel finds out about Zara’s early menopause?
    § Heston starts behaving controversially - and gets us all in trouble.
    § We really need to keep an eye on Simon...
    § ... and Ruth faces her biggest challenge so far.

Doctors star Donnaleigh Bailey is to bow out from the BBC daytime soap later this year, it has been announced.

The actress, who has played senior practice nurse Michelle Corrigan since 2006, will leave the medical drama in the summer following a poignant final storyline for her character.

Speaking to DS, Doctors' series producer Peter Lloyd confirmed: "Donnaleigh has been with us for just over four years now and feels it's time to spread her wings and try something new in her career, which is understandable since she's been here virtually from drama school.

"She's got a great exit story which I'm very excited about which I think will be very popular with viewers."

Asked what the future holds for Michelle, he replied: "A huge challenge that's going to test her physically and mentally. It's heart-breaking and heart-warming and a radical life change for her, I can't wait for the viewers to see what happens in the summer because I'm really excited about what we're doing with her."

Although best known for her Doctors role, Bailey has previously had guest parts in Holby City and Crossroads.

Donnaleigh Bailey has revealed why she decided to quit Doctors after playing Michelle Corrigan for four years.

Doctors' series producer Peter Lloyd confirmed to DS in June that the actress would bow out in a poignant storyline.

Bailey told What's On TV: "It was the hardest decision I've ever had to make, but I'd reached a point in my life and my career where I just wanted to embrace new things.

"It was hard because I'd got this job straight out of drama school, but I thought I should start to take some risks while I'm still young enough."

She admitted that the nurse had had a bumpy few years in the fictional Birmingham suburb of Letherbridge, but Michelle's decision to leave was the right one.

"100 per cent [it was right]! I really wanted to see Michelle grow up and stop being selfish," she said. "Michelle often acts without thinking, but there's no room for error in what she's doing now, she has to think before she acts. It's a great exit!"

She added: "It's been a bumpy journey sometimes with all her ups and down, but she's been a great character to play."

Bailey's final scenes in the BBC daytime soap will air next Friday, August 13.

I shall miss her, like her character a lot

Donnaleigh Bailey - Michelle Corrigan from Doctors Interview

Donnaleigh Bailey bows out of Doctors this week after four years in the role of senior practice nurse Michelle Corrigan. With Michelle's 30th birthday on the way, she stuns her colleagues and loved ones by revealing that she's made a life-changing decision and will be leaving Letherbridge behind. Meanwhile, in real life, Donnaleigh is keen to spread her wings and pursue new projects. Digital Spy recently caught up with the actress to find out about this week's episodes and what the future holds for her.

Why did you decide to leave Doctors?
    "Doctors was a fantastic opportunity for me to receive as a young actor - I joined the show practically on the back of leaving drama school. I learned so much about continuing drama and acting for television and I was there for a long time - but it got to the point where I just wanted to try new things and explore new opportunities."

Having been with the show for four years, was it a difficult decision?
    "It was a really difficult decision because they're like a family, but I still see everyone and I go and visit them on set. But I just wanted to try new things - try theatre, different types of television and explore new opportunities while I was still young enough to embrace them."

We heard back in June that you'd be leaving - but how long ago did you make the decision?
    "This is something that I've been thinking about for a long time - I told the producers that I wanted to leave back in October. And I'd been thinking about it around this time last year - whether I wanted to sign another year's contract, because it was coming up to renewal time and I wasn't sure whether I wanted to do a full year. I just spoke to the team and told them I was thinking about leaving and obviously we were all upset, because I love Michelle and I love Doctors. But they've all been very, very supportive and understood that, as a young actor, I wanted to try new opportunities while I could. I still visit them and they're there if I need them for advice."

The full circumstances surrounding Michelle's exit are being kept secret - but were you pleased with how she was written out?
    "Oh, it was fantastic - one of the best pieces of serial that I've had during my time at Doctors. I think it's a fantastic thing for Michelle - it's a life-changing decision that she makes, it shows her to be a bit more grown-up and selfless and to put other people first. I think what it shows is the core element of Michelle - that she's a really good nurse and she cares about her patients. Sometimes we don't see that because she's so bolshy and so gregarious, so I think it was a great way to bring her full circle. The way she does it isn't always necessarily the best way, but Michelle really wants to help people, and I think that really comes across in my leaving serial."

What was it like to film the recent scenes which saw Michelle working with injured soldiers?
    "The soldiers storyline was a fantastic opportunity for me and a really great thing that Doctors chose to do. We're a fictional surgery set in the West Midlands, and wounded soldiers that come back from Afghanistan come to a hostel in the West Midlands, so I think that it's something we should have touched upon before and I think it's great that we've done so now. I know that the producer had wanted to for a while. Of course we had to handle it delicately and sensitively, and I definitely think that we did. But I don't think we're making any bold statements on the war or anything like that - I think we're just highlighting the fantastic quality of the nursing staff in the military, and also what these chaps do for our country on a daily basis. From the feedback I'm seeing from the fans, people seem to have really enjoyed it. I loved every second of it."

We see this week that Michelle's mother Vera is reluctant for her to leave Letherbridge - why is that?
    "I think that Michelle and Vera have a very strained relationship after the whole Adam fiasco. I think that Michelle still feels a lot of resentment towards her mother and they have their issues. Their relationship will always be slightly strained, but I think that any mother will have concerns for their child. Vera and Michelle are like two peas in a pod and they're very, very similar. Vera's reluctant for Michelle to leave Letherbridge because she wants the best for her."

And Michelle is also saying goodbye to a love interest, Louis…
    "Yeah! I'd said to the producer, 'Please get me a nice chap - it's about time she had a good guy in her life!' She'd had her half-brother and all sorts! But Ian Virgo, who plays Louis, is someone who I knew anyway, so it was great working with somebody who I knew well. And Louis is everything Michelle has ever wanted, and more! He's fantastic - he's sexy, he's funny, he's full of banter, and he really, really loves her. But I guess it's just that she feels this is something she has to do now, otherwise she'll always regret it. I think Michelle thinks that if it's meant to be, it'll still happen. If he's meant to be with her, he'll still be there for her."

Did you get emotional on your last day?
    "Oh my God, the tears you see on that last day are all real! There's a scene where Michelle's birthday is coming and she thinks everyone has forgotten about it and she's deciding to leave The Mill that day. But they surprise her with a cake, and that was my scene saying goodbye to the gang. Everyone's tears were real - the actors were coming up to me and saying goodbye as their characters, but they were definitely saying goodbye as the actors as well. I was heartbroken and it was so sad! It was a very, very, very emotional day. I cried from the moment I woke up to the moment I went to sleep!"

What have you been up to since leaving Doctors?
    "I've just finished doing a new writing season at the Birmingham Rep theatre, which was brilliant and scary - because obviously I don't get another take if I mess up! I can't go, 'Please can we do it again?', I've just got to do it! That was fantastic and a really great way for me to get into something new. It was weird because I didn't have my long-time friends around me, and it was a new thing to embark upon. But obviously I did theatre and television before Doctors, so it was just great to use the old skills. Now it's just about taking time to figure out what I want to do and where I'm going next. I really want to do more theatre, but I also want to do some comedy. It's so exciting that there's so many opportunities out there, so we'll see what comes up."

What were your favourite storylines during your four years with Doctors?
    "This final one, definitely - my exit storyline is one of the best things I've done. I've loved working with Donna, who plays Vera - all the family stuff has been great. Also, the whole Adam and Ruth storyline - Selina Chilton is one of the most talented actresses I've ever worked with, it was a real honour and a pleasure to work with her and she's one of my dearest and best friends now. But I've had some great 'story of the day' plots as well. I can only think of my time on Doctors fondly. I've been really lucky to have been given such great storylines constantly. I've never been bored."

Some viewers were angry with Michelle at the time of Ruth's breakdown because they thought Michelle was treating her too harshly - what did you make of that?
    "I'm aware of Digital Spy's forum boards and when that was all happening, sometimes I'd go on and have a look. I could see that there was a real backlash against Michelle. That was difficult for me to understand as an actor, because to play a character I have to love her, despite all her faults. But I totally understood what they were saying. I cling on to the fact that Michelle is a good nurse, so it was surprising that, as a nurse, she couldn't accept the fact that Ruth had a mental illness and wasn't well.

"I think the way the story developed was fantastic - there's no drama and there's nothing interesting if Michelle forgave her straight away. Michelle had to take a real journey to get to the point of forgiveness and to ask for forgiveness from Ruth herself. She should have handled it better, but I think Michelle had just been overwhelmed by the whole situation - the trust that she'd had in her best friend was taken away and she had a proper identity crisis. She was overwhelmed by her own emotions, her own grief, her father dying, everything. She'd hit breaking point and was at her lowest ebb. The fact that viewers were so evoked by Michelle's response showed that the writers and I were doing a good job in provoking a reaction. I hope people have forgiven her now!"

Are there any particular cast members who you're keen to keep in touch with?
    "Oh, all of them! Diane Keen and Adrian Lewis Morgan are dear friends to me. I know everyone says this, but Doctors was one of the nicest places for me to work in my entire life. It was a great way for me to start my career. There's a great cast and crew. Names that I'd mention off the top of my head would be people I worked with more closely - people like Sophie Abelson and Selina Chilton. Charlie Clemmow is one of my best friends. It's such a small cast so we're always together and I love all of them to bits. We still have drinks at the pub every Thursday. I miss them all dearly, but I think we'll be friends forever regardless."

Would you appear in another soap?
    "Oh yeah, of course! I think soap actors are some of the hardest-working actors in the business. Actors work hard generally, but for soap actors, the turnaround is so quick with learning your scripts and performing them. Especially on Doctors - it was so fast. I think the storylines on all the soaps are great - this year especially. I'd love to work on another soap. Corrie would be great - it's one of my favourites!"

You're in the running for 'Best Daytime Star' at the Inside Soap Awards this year - what do you think your chances are?
    "Well I'm up against not only great actors from Doctors, but also well-loved names and faces from Home and Away and Neighbours. We'll see. I mean, all I can do is keep my fingers crossed, but it'd be a fantastic way to end my time on Doctors, and I'd obviously be extremely grateful to those who've supported me on this great journey that I've had. It's a really nice night to just dress up and see old friends and faces - not only from my show, but friends that I have on other television shows. I'm so flattered and thankful to be nominated."

When you work on a show like Doctors, do you gain a greater respect for people who work in the medical profession?
    "Oh yeah, definitely! I've always had a respect for nurses and doctors, but from playing a nurse, I got to spend a day with a senior practice nurse in a surgery. It was great watching them - they're all so dedicated to what they do. But then, when I got the Housman storyline and had to work with military nurses and saw how they work, it totally overwhelmed me. I got to spend the day on a military ward here in Birmingham and saw that what people do there is exceptional. I just think they're fantastic. I do a lot of things for the charity Help For Heroes and have nothing but respect for the military in general."

Did Doctors change much over the four years you were in the show?
    "Well, there are more episodes now, which is great - it means the show is on more and gets seen by more people. But I think the basic structure of Doctors hasn't changed. The 'story of the day' and serial plots are always of a high standard. Because you have the 'story of the day', you can tune in and tune out and perhaps never watch it again, or continue to watch it. I think that's great. What I love about Doctors is that it's always evolving - we're in HD now, and when I first joined the show it had single camera days, which they don't do anymore. I think Doctors will continue to grow and continue to be loved by its fans. I think it's a great show to work on."

And finally, Doctors has a very loyal following - is there anything you'd like to say to the people who have tuned in and supported you over the years?
    "Just thank you for watching Doctors and continuing to support Michelle through her ups and downs! I know it's been quite a turbulent journey that she's had, and sometimes she hasn't been liked and sometimes she has been - and sometimes she hasn't shown her best. But I think at her core, she's a great nurse and a great character, and I really hope that you've seen her grow up and develop. Especially with this exit storyline - I really hope that it shows her grow up into a more thoughtful and selfless woman. I think it's great that the fans are so supportive and loyal to the show. We're very aware of our following and our fanbase, and so I send lots of love, thanks and gratitude."

Doctors actress Elisabeth Dermot-Walsh has revealed details of a "dramatic" upcoming storyline.

Dermot-Walsh, who plays Doctor Zara Carmichael in the soap, admitted that she is excited by a future plotline between her character and fellow GP Daniel Granger, played by Matthew Chambers.

Speaking at the Inside Soap Awards, she told Digital Spy: "There's a fantastic five-part story coming up in the next few weeks involving my character and Daniel.

"I don't want to give everything away, but something terrible happens to Daniel's baby daughter and Zara steps in to help. It's all very dramatic!"

She added: "It's nice to be the good guy for a change. Normally Zara plays the baddie and for once she gets to play the heroine, which makes a nice change for me!"

Actor Chris Walker, who stars as police sergeant Rob Hollins, also teased an upcoming story with his wife Karen.

"There's a big, big storyline between Rob and Karen," he revealed. "It's huge, in fact! No-one leaves the show, but it gets close to that."

Both storylines are due to air before Christmas.

Daniel Granger faces every parent's worst nightmare on Doctors next week when his young daughter Izzie goes missing. The dramatic incident occurs after the GP takes his eyes off the 2-year-old for just a moment while they are out shopping with his partner Zara. In the aftermath of her disappearance, a police investigation is launched and Daniel's colleagues rally round him - but initial efforts to find Izzie prove devastatingly fruitless. Meanwhile, viewers will see that Izzie has been abducted by a family who now wish to raise her as their own - but will this ever come to light? We recently chatted to Daniel's portrayer Matthew Chambers to hear more about the storyline, which plays out over the course of five consecutive episodes.

How did you feel when you first heard that you'd be part of this big storyline and special week of Doctors?
    "When I first heard about it, I was very excited. I also felt flattered because there are several regulars here now, and so to be one of the actors who's part of a five-parter is an honour. So I was very excited and I couldn't wait to get my teeth into it!"

Would you say that Daniel is at fault for Izzie's disappearance, or is it something that could happen to anyone?
    "Well, I have children and I know how quickly they can disappear sometimes. I guess it is something that could happen to anyone, but I think in this particular instance, Daniel has got to take the blame because he's the adult in charge and he takes his eye off the ball for a moment. That's all these things take - just a moment, and suddenly your life can change forever."

Daniel shows a real angry side after Izzie goes missing - can you tell us a bit more about that?
    "In situations like this, it's difficult to imagine how oneself would react, but during filming I tried to put what I know of Daniel into that situation. When I was imagining what he was feeling, I felt that his anger came from the helplessness - the fact that there was nothing he could do. He's normally somebody who can talk his way out of something, or phone somebody, or raise a few grand if he needs it. He can do all those things, but suddenly he's presented with a situation in which he has absolutely no control and feels utterly helpless. I think that's where his anger was rooted. Daniel can be a dangerous guy in terms of when he's threatened, and I think we're all capable of being all things - it's just a question of degrees and where certain situations can lead you, particularly when they're out of your control."

What else happens in the aftermath of Izzie's disappearance?
    "Well, I can tell you that at the end of the first episode of the week, although Daniel and Zara don't know, we do see that Izzie is well and seemingly being well looked after. There's absolutely no way that the writers or the BBC want to dupe the viewer into believing for a moment that Izzie is not being treated well. So that's at the end of the first episode. But like I said, obviously Daniel and Zara don't know that and are very much in the dark about what's going on."

What happens next?
    "Over the course of the next few episodes, there's heavy police involvement, at times we see Daniel's exasperation at how little he feels is going on, and it's a fine line of how far does oneself get involved in a situation like this to find one's child? Does one leave it to the police, even when one thinks that they're not doing as they should be? So it's a real quest on the part of the police and Daniel and Zara as they try to find Isobel. We also see the emotional rollercoaster that comes with that - the agony, the pain and the joy at the slightest of leads. It's a real journey for Daniel and Zara. It's also a fantastic journey for Lisa as she comes back into contact with Daniel and we see the dynamic that's kicked up because of that. We all hope it's going to be very exciting."

Daniel and Zara's relationship seems to come under real strain as the week progresses - why is that?
    "I think it's inevitable in this kind of situation that everything becomes strained. You turn on each other at times - again, because of those feelings of helplessness. We tend to turn on people that we love in times of stress. Daniel and Zara have a great understanding of each other, and they have a love for each other, which most of the time they can't tell each other about! We do see them work together well as a team and separately in their efforts to find Izzie, but inevitably with Lisa in the picture, things come to a head. Without wanting to give too much away, tensions are high. The stakes are high in this situation and so people do things that they might not otherwise do…"

As the investigation continues, Daniel starts being viewed as a potential suspect in the case - how does he react to that?
    "He's in utter disbelief. I don't think he even computes it. If he was standing outside the situation, I think he'd be able to see why, but because he's in it - and because Isobel is his daughter and he cares for her so deeply - he can't compute it. It's another way in which a very angry side of Daniel rears its head."

Daniel also finds his dark history broadcast on the news as the media attention increases - what does he make of that?
    "I suppose he reacts in the way that anyone would react if the seedier parts of their past were exposed! I think he's very saddened by it, because it's detracting from the important thing, which is about Isobel. Of course, Daniel knows that her disappearance has nothing to do with him, and he thinks that putting him in a bad light is contrary to the benefit of the investigation."

Was this quite a challenging storyline to be involved in?
    "Yes - I think that, as an actor, anything with high emotion is challenging because, of course, you want it to be believable. That's a very, very big part of our work - to make what we're doing seem believable. So anything with high emotion is more risky ground for actors. Of course, there are many who love the drama - the term 'drama queen' ain't there for nothing! For this storyline, it's a journey. You can't suddenly break down all the time in floods of tears - there's elements of light and shade. If something terrible happens to you, you don't sob every moment of the day - there are moments when you're more reflective. Choosing those moments can be a great challenge for actors."

What kind of impact do you want this story to have?
    "I think that, in terms of the show, it's yet another fantastic storyline. We see Doctors' ability to not shy away from the very tragic subjects in life. They tackle those subjects head-on and they highlight them, and they hopefully help people who have been in similar situations. I'm not a moral compass or anything like that, but I just think that Doctors does a great job of highlighting very important subjects and issues - and confronting them so that they can be talked about. I think that's very important."

If they manage to get Izzie back safe and well, do you think Lisa would struggle to trust Daniel with her again after this, or will she be understanding?
    "I think it will be very difficult for her to trust him. He hasn't exactly had a shining past with her, so I think this will further deepen any lack of trust she may have had for him. I think it'll be very hard for him to gain her trust. But let's see how she reacts - because people in these kind of situations react very differently and strange things happen!"

What's Elisabeth Dermot-Walsh, who plays Zara, like to work with?
    "Elisabeth is, first and foremost, in my opinion a wonderful actor. She's great fun and she brings a level of professionalism to the working day which is refreshing. But she still joins in with the banter and she's a good, fun person to be around. She's great to work with."

There's been quite a change in Daniel since Izzie was introduced to the show - will that be a permanent change, or will he slip back to his old ways eventually?
    "Never say never! Who knows? I think the great thing with Daniel is that he is volatile, but now he is trying to do the right thing since Izzie came along. He's trying to lead a better life and trying to make better decisions. I think he's doing all of those things, but the great thing about Daniel is that he finds himself in situations where he just makes bad decisions. I guess that makes him fun to watch and very fun to play! I think he's one of those men who finds commitment a bit of a dirty word with regard to relationships with women, but I think that his lynchpin, focal point and reason for being is now Isobel."

The scenes between Daniel and Jimmi have proved popular on our forum - can we expect to see more of those two together?
    "I hope so! I think the writers can see when two actors have a little bit of chemistry, and I hope that they would then try to steer us together a little bit more often, because Adrian Lewis Morgan is a great actor to work with and lots of fun. It's a challenge working with him, and I mean that in a very positive way. He makes you work and he makes you think about what you're doing in terms of performance. It's not in a demanding way, but working with him is great and I really hope that we have more to do together in the future."

Julia seems to treat Daniel more harshly than she does the other characters - do you have any theories on why that is?
    "Diane Keen and I have always had a bit of a giggle about that! I think Julia likes him and sees him as a bit of a wayward lad, but one who's very good at his job. I think she's quite forgiving of him, even though it comes out in a way where it seems she's heavy-handed with him - and in some respects quite mumsy or like a headteacher! I think it's because she likes him and wants the best for him - and thinks the best way to get the best out of him is to be very strict. It certainly keeps him in check and lets him know that he can't muck about! Remember that he has a very chequered past with her - he stole money from her when she extended the olive branch of a job to him and he had nowhere to go. He really does owe her a lot."

Finally, are you happy at Doctors and will you be staying for the foreseeable future?
    "I'm very happy at Doctors and I always have been. I like the place, I like the people, and at the end of the day, I'm doing what I want to do - I'm acting, I've got a job and I feel very lucky. As to how long I'll be here, I couldn't say - who knows what's going to happen in the future and whether the show would want me to stay? We'll just have to wait and see. But I know that I'm categorically at Doctors until December, so on screen that takes me up to March. I know that I'm there for sure until then, but beyond that, I don't know!"

Doctors airs weekdays at 1.45pm on BBC One.

Comedienne and former EastEnders star Josie Lawrence is to make a guest appearance in Doctors next week.

The actress will be seen in the one-off role of Katrina Kidd in Tuesday's episode of the BBC daytime drama, which wrapped up a week-long child kidnap plot today.

Katrina is regular character Ruth Pearce's former school music teacher. The pair are to come face-to-face unexpectedly when Katrina pays a visit to the Campus Surgery in the hope of obtaining some mood stabilisers.

As Ruth (Selina Chilton) catches up with her old tutor, it emerges that Katrina is feeling nervous as she is preparing to audition for one of Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber's TV talent shows.

Soon afterwards, Katrina invites her ex-pupil along for some moral support as she rehearses for her audition - but whether she has what it takes for West End success remains to be seen.

Lawrence bowed out from the role of Manda Best in EastEnders earlier this year. She is also well-known for her work on Whose Line Is It Anyway?

Doctors airs weekdays at 1.45pm on BBC One.

BBC soap Doctors is to celebrate its 2,000th episode with an hour-long special which will see a deadly virus unleashed at The Mill, it has been announced.

The milestone edition of the daytime show will feature Peak Practice star Simon Shepherd and Dad's Army actor Ian Lavender as guest artistes on a dramatic day for the fictional health centre.

Shepherd takes on the role of virologist George Liston, who is approached for help by Simon Bond (David Sturzaker) as The Mill's staff learn that someone inside is infected with a potentially fatal virus.

Meanwhile, Lavender plays retired brigadier Rowland Beckley, who is among the patients who get caught up in the chaos at The Mill as it goes into lockdown.

The storyline will see regular character Cherry Malone (Sophie Abelsen) exposed to the virus before developing a worrying rash. As events reach a climax and the pressure mounts, The Mill's staff face a race against time to save Cherry and track down the source of the virus.

Speaking of the dramatic instalment, Doctors' executive producer Will Trotter commented: "It's wonderful that Doctors has reached its 2,000th episode, and is celebrating by having this hour-long episode featuring all of our regular Doctors cast and some wonderful well-known guest stars joining us to mark this milestone.

"Doctors is a homegrown award-winning British drama for BBC One Daytime and we look forward to the next 2,000 episodes!"

BBC Daytime's controller Liam Keelan added: "Doctors continues to attract stellar British actors and consistently has relevant, challenging and thought-provoking storylines - I'm delighted we've been able to commission this special anniversary episode."

Doctors' 2,000th episode - titled 'Quarantine' - is currently being filmed in and around Birmingham and will air on Wednesday, February 16, 2011.

Doctors' series producer Peter Lloyd has said that he wants the BBC daytime soap to have greater diversity in its cast.

In an interview, the show boss confessed that the programme needs to provide a more accurate representation of what life would be like at a health centre in the Midlands.

Speaking to Inside Soap, Lloyd explained: "Since the departure of Michelle, our cast is all white. That's something we will address as soon as possible, because it's not a realistic situation to have, either within the NHS or in the city of Birmingham."

He continued: "I'd also like to have a female character who is 'anti-glamour'. In saying that, I mean a woman who's normal and lumpy like the rest of us. At our last story conference, we asked people to come up with suggestions for a new regular and some great stuff came out of that."

Lloyd also revealed more details about Doctors' forthcoming 2,000th episode, which will see a deadly virus unleashed at The Mill.

He said: "It's going to be very exciting. A deadly virus will strike at the surgery and we hope to do a helicopter stunt. We're filming it at the moment, as long as the weather holds. We saved up some of our budget for the chopper! We'll have some special make-up effects as well, which will be very creepy."

Thread Information