Thread: 'Hollyoaks' producer Allan quits soap

'Hollyoaks' producer Allan quits soap

Hollyoaks producer Lucy Allan has quit as the Channel 4 soap's leading lady after just over 12 months in the role.

Allan, who succeeded incoming EastEnders producer Bryan Kirkwood, took office at Hollyoaks' home at Lime Pictures in Liverpool last January.

Since her appointment, she has overseen storylines which have included soapland's first ever non-linear week and the recent 'flashforward' instalment featuring Calvin's death.

She will be replaced by former Bill exec and Footballers' Wives creator Paul Marquess.

Speaking of her decision to stand down, she said: "I am very proud to have been part of the Hollyoaks team. I've had a fantastic time working on this show but am now equally excited about what the future will hold."

More soon.

DS

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (16-01-2010), tammyy2j (16-01-2010)

Maybe Hollyoaks will improve when she's gone. It can't get much worse, anyway.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (16-01-2010)

Incoming Hollyoaks producer Paul Marquess is due to begin work at the soap only two days after his appointment, Digital Spy can confirm.

Yesterday, Marquess was announced as successor to Lucy Allan who quit her role as the Channel 4 serial's leading producer after only 12 months in office.

DS today learned that Marquess will take the reins at Hollyoaks' set at Lime Pictures in Liverpool tomorrow morning.

The cast and crew of the Chester-based soap have been drafted in for a weekend's filming following several days of disruption due to the recent snowy weather.

Marquess is expected to introduce himself to the rest of the Hollyoaks team at some point in the day, before acclimatising himself to his new surroundings.

A source today told DS: "It's all been a very quick turnaround at the top. There'll be a short handover period, but Paul officially takes the helm on Monday and he's really looking forward to the challenge."

Speaking of his new appointment yesterday evening, Marquess said: "I'm a huge soap fan so to be handed the reins of Channel 4's flagship teen drama is not only a huge challenge but also a massive honour."

Marquess's previous television credits have included Brookside, Family Affairs, The Bill and Footballers' Wives.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (16-01-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post
    Maybe Hollyoaks will improve when she's gone. It can't get much worse, anyway.
    hopefully the ratings are way down

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (17-01-2010)

Sorry but thank goodness, I havn't watched it for ages. Hopefully now it will go back to normal.
    Last edited by moonstorm; 17-01-2010 at 21:05. Reason: Spelling

Sounds like she was sacked to me...Paul Marquess is being drafted in extremely quickly, starting work today! I think the ratings dipping below 1 million over the Christmas/New Year period motivated Channel 4 execs to take action.

In some way, I like Paul Marquess but in other ways, I don't. He's a bit too extreme for my liking and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he went onto the set today and axed the majority of the cast, keeping about three current characters. On all the other shows he's worked on, he's axed most of the cast and writing team like when he worked on The Bill back in 2002.

Expect some really controversial, explosive and nutty storylines from Marquess. I have tuned in now and again since Lucy Allan took over and the episodes were pitiful.

I think Marquess will do a good job turning the show around, but I think he'll be in danger of going too far in terms of storyline and character.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DaVeyWaVey For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (17-01-2010), moonstorm (17-01-2010), tammyy2j (18-01-2010)

I think the majority of the cast need axing on Hollyoaks, especially the teens (except Newt). I'm looking forward to seeing what changes are made. I just hope Darren isn't axed and that he's given some juicy storylines.

Thread Information