Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Two GMTV presenters face the axe in cost-cutting bloodbath

Two GMTV presenters face the axe in cost-cutting bloodbath

At least two of GMTV’s star presenters are set to lose their jobs in a cost-cutting bloodbath.

ITV wants to axe a minimum of one male and one female anchor as part of the review.

The broadcaster is looking to slash costs by 20% on the flagship breakfast show.

Andrew Castle, 46, John Stapleton, 63, Kate Garraway, 42, Ben Shephard, 35, and Penny Smith, 51, are said to be “anxious beyond belief”.

An insider said the stars were “desperate” for bosses to guarantee their place on the sofa.

The source added: “Everyone is absolutely dreading the results of the review.

“There will very likely be some big-name casualties.”

But insiders told the Mirror that Emma Crosby, 32, is expected to survive the cull.

Crosby – who joined GMTV a year ago after Fiona Phillips resigned – was handed a new contract by the show’s bosses in December. Her £130,000 a year salary has also been increased to £160,000.

Another source said: “Emma has been everything we had hoped for and more.

“She is a natural in front of the camera and comes from a hard news background which only adds to her appeal. The new deal is a reflection of how highly we value her and want to keep her on the show as well as our viewers who have given her great feedback.”

One insider said: “Emma’s new contract is a good sign of how highly she’s rated but everyone is still at risk.

“ITV have carte blanche to rip up contracts as they see fit. The review is well under way and this cull is one of the recommendations.”

Some believe that Shephard is a favourite to survive.

A source said: “Ben is revered and is very unlikely to leave.

“He is a massive face on the channel as a whole and is loved by all the staff.”

Salaries are impressive on the show with Stapleton thought to be on £220,000, Garraway, Castle and Shephard on £200,000 and Smith on £175,000.

ITV took full control of GMTV after buying Disney’s 25% stake in the broadcaster for £22.2million in November.

And the company is looking to start recouping some of that money with these cuts.

Staff say the presenters only realised they might be under threat when the show’s editor of 10 years, Martin Frizell, was axed last month.

A source added: “Everything changed at that moment and we knew ITV meant business.

“Martin was highly regarded and nobody thought he would go. He was the heartbeat of the show and untouchable.”

ITV confirmed that “all areas” were being reviewed.

Mirror

So ITV are having to cut at least two people from the sofa yet the newbie gets a 30k pay rise? Well that makes sense I'd be pretty pissed off if my job was on the line and my equals were getting pay rises. Why not just cut the salary of everyone to 100k and keep them all?

Another example of TV "stars" being grossly overpaid.
    Thanks CrazyLea

to be honest i think they deserve more than what they get. they are on the sofa 5 days a week.

paul o grady has been given 8 million by itv to sit down for an hour every friday evening. jonathron ross was given 18 million for a chat show, a radio show and that film show. that kind of money is crazy.

They only do two or three mornings each. They may axe Kate and Andrew then have Ben and Emma presenting the five days. Hope they keep Penny on.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

i love how they pretend GMTV presenters are journalists, it's hilarious. also, i think someone needs to investigate how much ITV uses GMTV to plug it's own programmes; out of a three hour show more than an hour will be devoted to xfactor, dancing on ice, britain's got talent etc
    Check out my Strictly Come Dancing Blog! - The 2014 blogging has begun!

ITV own GMTV outright now so it's up to them how much time is spent on plugging other programs.
    Thanks CrazyLea

Eamonn Holmes is reportedly being considered for a return to GMTV.

The 50-year-old presenter is in talks with ITV bosses about a comeback, having left the morning show five years ago for Sky's Sunrise programme.

An insider told the Sunday Mirror that chiefs want to re-hire Holmes as part of a large-scale revamp of the show. "He's popular with viewers but also has a serious news background which they feel makes him the man for the job," the source said.

ITV said the overhaul of GMTV began in December, adding: "No decisions have been made about the team."

DS

Jojo is offline **Debs Official Stalker**
    Considering they are supposed to be cost cutting, bringing back one of the most expensive newsreaders in the business, who frankly, wasn't that brilliant (he was ok, but having watched him on sky a few times, I'd rather turn it off tbh) really isn't going to help their bank balance and cost cutting is it?!

That could be why they're looking at losing 2 presenters, as thats what Eamonn's wages would cost (the same as both of them together).

What is the problem with just having two presenters for the whole week? I don't get the need to have five different people. And before anyone throws the childcare/part time work card in, they're all married and can easily afford to pay someone to take the kids to school in a morning. It's not as if they're working 50 hour weeks; they do a breakfast show that runs for three hours a day. Including wardrobe and briefings, I'd estimate they'd work no more than 25 hours doing a five show week.
    Thanks CrazyLea

And before anyone throws the childcare/part time work card in, they're all married and can easily afford to pay someone to take the kids to school in a morning. It's not as if they're working 50 hour weeks
    Some people enjoy taking their kids to childcare, why should they pay some one else to do it when they might want to, just so they can present? Why not have a variety of presenters. Makes it more interesting I guess (I don't watch it, but I'm sure it's better than just the same 2 every day)

Thread Information