Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Two GMTV presenters face the axe in cost-cutting bloodbath

The have to get up very early to get there, then do research/briefings, make up and wardrobe etc. They don't just start sitting on the sofa when the cameras start rolling, it is much more involved than that

GMTV bosses are reportedly hoping to introduce a more serious tone when the morning show is revamped.

It is thought that executives plan to emulate the style of Sky News and could approach the channel's Afternoon Live anchor Kay Burley with a possible presenting deal.

Producers recently confirmed that "all areas" of the programme are currently under review, sparking speculation over the future of long-running hosts like Kate Garraway.

A source told the Daily Star: "Sky is the one people turn to for the big breaking news stories. We want that reputation.

"Kay Burley would be a great coup for us if we got her. Viewers like her and maybe she'd fancy moving back to terrestrial TV."

A spokesperson for GMTV recently insisted that "no decisions" had been made about the show's team.

DS

Penny Smith and John Stapleton have today been tipped as likely casualties in GMTV's forthcoming presenter cull.

According to The Mirror, bosses are planning to start using ITV's Independent Television News (ITN) company for the morning programme's news items, which could leave both Smith and Stapleton without jobs.

At present, the hosts front an hour of news coverage on GMTV from 6am. However, it is thought that the planned shake-up could reduce costs as ITN's newsreaders and newsroom team would be cheaper.

A source commented: "Discussions about this process are already at an advanced stage. It makes sense for ITN to do all the news on GMTV, including bulletins and broadcasts live from breaking stories.

"But if they do that, it would mean big changes to the first hour of GMTV, and that wouldn't be good news for John or Penny. They are both big earners and it may make sense to just use ITN newsreaders and journalists to front the show at a much lower cost."

An ITV spokesman said: "The review at GMTV is still going on, so it is too soon to confirm any details at this stage."

DS

Penny and John are two of the best reporters on GMTV. In fairness it should be the newest members who go first. Last one in first out.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

Eamonn Holmes has claimed that it would 'make sense' for GMTV bosses to offer him a new deal as part of the morning show's revamp.

The presenter, who currently works on This Morning and Sky News, was recently tipped to return to the sofa after ITV confirmed that "all areas" of the programme are under review.

Holmes joined GMTV in 1993 and appeared as one of its anchors until 2005, when he bowed out following a rumoured row over pay.

Responding to the recent rumours, the 50-year-old is quoted by the Daily Record as saying: "I can see why it makes sense for them. It went belly up five years ago. I'd be a liar if I said I didn't take a certain amount of satisfaction from being told, 'This station doesn't need you', only to see their audience fall by 25% after I left."

On his future at Sky News, he added: "I'm a gun for hire. I don't decide if I'm here for good. Sky does."

[B] As long as he does not bring Ruth Langford with him [B]

Eamonn Holmes has claimed that it would 'make sense' for GMTV bosses to offer him a new deal as part of the morning show's revamp.

The presenter, who currently works on This Morning and Sky News, was recently tipped to return to the sofa after ITV confirmed that "all areas" of the programme are under review.

Holmes joined GMTV in 1993 and appeared as one of its anchors until 2005, when he bowed out following a rumoured row over pay.

Responding to the recent rumours, the 50-year-old is quoted by the Daily Record as saying: "I can see why it makes sense for them. It went belly up five years ago. I'd be a liar if I said I didn't take a certain amount of satisfaction from being told, 'This station doesn't need you', only to see their audience fall by 25% after I left."

On his future at Sky News, he added: "I'm a gun for hire. I don't decide if I'm here for good. Sky does."

As long as he does not bring Ruth Langford with him

VETERAN GMTV host Penny Smith is to leave the show amid budget cuts.
    Penny, 51, who has been there for 17 years, will go after the axing of her daily 6am News Hour slot.

Co-host John Stapleton, 64, will start a new role as an on-location correspondent from June.

Penny, who will present a BBC Radio 2 opera show from June, said: "I have taken the plunge and am moving on."

John said: "After 12 years of getting up at 3.45am, I'm looking forward to having a few lie-ins a week."

ITV is cutting costs since taking full control over GMTV after buying Disney's 25 per cent stake in it.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...#ixzz0hBWTWHDS

This is wrong get rid of Andrew Castle and Kate Garraway. Keep Penny and John. They know how to present a show.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

GMTV bosses have reportedly started considering the possibility of moving the programme into This Morning's studio.

According to The Mirror, the secret proposal has sparked fresh fears of job cuts as slots on the show which focus on fashion and real-life stories are similar to those broadcast later on This Morning.

A source told the newspaper: "There are genuine fears researchers and producers may find themselves working on both. The cuts just keep coming."

An ITV spokesman confirmed that the broadcaster is currently "reviewing all aspects of the show including studio space", but added that it is "much too early to confirm any plans".

Last week, it was revealed that Penny Smith and John Stapleton are to be axed as main GMTV hosts due to cost-cutting.

Plans to revamp GMTV were first announced in January, when ITV confirmed that "all areas" of the morning show were to be reviewed.

DS

Why didn't they get rid of Emma Crosby - she is useless - silly voice and trying to act funny. Also want to know if they are cutting costs why employ a guy to give us sports news (such as it is) - more money being spent - all that happens is Emma tries to flirt with him and fails miserably - talking about football when its' obvious she's not that clued uip on it - its cringeworthty to watch. I am not saying women can't talk about football -but watch her and Dan converse and it's embarassing. It's obvious she is reading an autocue or a script.

Thread Information