Thread: Allsopp slams 'Enders pre-watershed rant

Allsopp slams 'Enders pre-watershed rant

Kirstie Allsopp has criticised EastEnders bosses for airing an anti-gay tirade prior to the watershed.

The presenter was referring to Zainab Masood's confrontation with homosexual Christian Clarke in Friday's episode of the BBC One soap. During the argument, Zainab - whose son Syed is having a gay affair with Christian - said: "Take your perverted obsession elsewhere. What you do makes me feel sick."

Allsopp, who helms Channel 4's Location, Location, Location, said that the script was "totally unsuitable for 6.30pm".

The 36-year-old wrote on Twitter: "I don't want kids watching that kind of rant - in time they'll know about bigots but please not yet."

This morning, however, the BBC defended the comments in the episode.

A spokesperson told DS: "Since this storyline began, EastEnders has always shown a balance of opinions to ensure that we capture the many different views of the characters involved. Zainab has always been an extremely opinionated character but her views do not go unchallenged and it is within these conflicts that the drama unfolds."

They added: "We have taken great care in portraying this sensitive storyline and we always ensure that our episodes are suitable for the timeslot in which they are shown"

From DS

I don't agree with Kirstie Allsopp at all on this.

The whole storyline is about how prejudice ruins lives and we needed to hear Zainab's views to make it realistic. Zainab is being portrayed as the one in the wrong, after all, and we saw the pain her rant caused Christian and her son. Hopefully, this high-profile storyline will have the effect of lessening prejudice as Syed's situation is being portrayed very sympathetically.

There's no doubt that what she said was upsetting, though.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

Abigail (03-01-2010), parkerman (03-01-2010), Siobhan (04-01-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post

The whole storyline is about how prejudice ruins lives and we needed to hear Zainab's views to make it realistic. Zainab is being portrayed as the one in the wrong, after all, and we saw the pain her rant caused Christian and her son. Hopefully, this high-profile storyline will have the effect of lessening prejudice as Syed's situation is being portrayed very sympathetically.

I agree with you Dazzle. What we saw was how religion, faith and reputation colours some people's thinking. I'm not saying all Muslims are opposed to gay relationships, I know quite a few Muslims who support same sex relationships.

Not only is Zainab embarrassed and let down by her son, scared of what the Muslim community will think when they find out her son is gay, she's also upset that she didn't notice until just before Syed's wedding. It was a very realistic portrayal and we needed to see the other side to her faith.

If Syed wasn't a Muslim and didn't have the honour of his family to uphold, I'm sure he and Christian would be together.
    Thanks CrazyLea

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Abigail For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (03-01-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post

I quite agree. Hope that Syed and Christian get together someday too!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruffed_lemur For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (05-01-2010)

Thread Information