Thread: 'X Factor' theme wins classical accolade

'X Factor' theme wins classical accolade

The X Factor theme tune 'O Fortuna' has been named the most recognised classical music song of all time.

According to The Mirror, Carl Orff's 1937 composition beat 'Fantasia On A Theme' by Thomas Tallis.

The list, compiled on behalf of Radio 2 by a royalties collection body, was revealed in a programme presented by former Never Mind the Buzzcocks comic Bill Bailey.

German composer Orff was inspired by a Latin poem for the track, but it has gained mainstream recognition as a tension-builder on ITV1's mainstream TV reality contest The X Factor.

Bailey joked: "Of course, we all knew the number one would be a 13th century Latin goliardic poem."

Actor Stephen Fry, known to be a classical music enthusiast, added: "For some reason, it almost sounds satanic, although it's actually a religious piece."

Radio 2's head of programming Lewis Carnie said: "'O Fortuna' is a timeless piece of music that continues to be played, performed and loved over 70 years after its composition, and this is a wonderful recording of the work."

Does X-Factor take credit for everything these days?

I remember hearing O Fortuna in the movie Omen. It **** me up no end

I was about to say, It was famous BEFORE the X factor

I think more people will know which piece of music is meant by referring to X Factor, I know the music too but did not know it was called 'O Fortuna'

Wasnt it used on some SKy sports channel before the X factor?

Thread Information