Thread: Jump

Jump

A British DJ has come underfire from mental health groups after playing Van Halen's "Jump" moments before a suicidal woman leapt from a bridge.

Steve Penk was broadcasting on 96.2FM The Revolution recently when four lanes of the M60 had to be closed because of the drama.

As police attempted to talk the woman down, a listener phoned in to request the rock classic, which was then aired.

Penk played it after expressing his sympathy for road users, but the unidentified individual then jumped from the 30ft bridge.

She only suffered minor injuries but the DJ has been slammed for his actions and accused of acting in "very poor taste" by Mind.

Meanwhile, a spokesman for The Samaritans commented: "It shows a lack of compassion and understanding".

Some listeners were also outraged by Penk's behaviour, with Lorna Guinn calling it "pathetic and nasty".

"It's irresponsible - this woman could have overheard it on someone's car stereo", she said.

However, Penk has insisted he would do the same thing again. "The entire area had been thrown into total chaos by a single troubled woman.

"I was very sorry to hear that the lady had subsequently jumped from the bridge but relieved that her injuries were minor.

"If, as has been suggested, the woman jumped because she heard it from a passing car radio that's unfortunate. But I don't regret playing it for a minute", he said.

Is it wrong i find this quiet funny

I don't think a song that MIGHT have been heard on a car radio would cause this woman to jump..it is stupid.. did she actually hear it? report doesn't say
    Super Mod

I have felt like ending it a couple of times in my life and music has a massive effect on emotions. You should not listen to sentimental music when you feel down, because it can drag you down even more. If I had heard that track when I was at my lowest, I might have taken it as encouragement, so yes, I think radio presenters need to take more care if they are aware of a potential situation.

I think the issue is more that the presenter had just reported the incident then he played jump... which could be seen as egging her on, it was bad taste yes, but I'm not sure it's worth this amount of coverage!

Thread Information