Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shock death for 'Hollyoaks' 'flashforward'

Shock death for 'Hollyoaks' 'flashforward'

Hollyoaks favourite Calvin Valentine is to be shot at the end of the soap's 'flashforward' episode, sparking a six-month long 'Who Shot Calvin?' mystery.

Earlier this week, it was announced that the Channel 4 serial has filmed a future episode set in May 2010, which will be sandwiched between regular instalments.

Calvin (Ricky Whittle) and Carmel's (Gemma Merna) second wedding dominates the episode, but as the loved-up pair take to the floor for a rendition of Dirty Dancing signature theme '(I've Had) The Time of My Life', Calvin's shot by an unidentified shooter.

Throughout the show's look into the future, a plethora of villagers are angry at Calvin for as-yet-unknown reasons. However, as the programme plays out its stories over the next six months, motives for murdering him will become clear.

When the real-time episodes cross with the six-month point foretold by the titular event, viewers will discover the identity of Calvin's murderer.

Speaking exclusively to Digital Spy, Whittle said: "I still have another six months of fantastic story to throw myself into and the show has an amazing storyline which will be a rollercoaster ride of twists and turns - it'll have the nation hooked."

He added: "It's a very clever idea - it's the first of its kind that I know of. Hollyoaks doesn't think inside the box - and I think this is just another example and why I'm proud to be part of it."

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to moonstorm For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (19-12-2009), lizann (19-12-2009), tammyy2j (18-12-2009)

More from Calvin on 'Oaks 'flashforward'

Ricky Whittle's Hollyoaks character Calvin Valentine will be dramatically killed off in May 2010 when an unidentified shooter sends a bullet flying into his chest on his wedding day to the love of his life Carmel McQueen.

To read why Ricky's decided to quit Hollyoaks and more about what happens in the episode, then click here to browse the main part of the interview. Here, though, are some extra helpings of goodness!

How did series producer Lucy Allan react to the news that you wanted to leave?
    "She was very understanding and has a lot of faith in what I want to do. She asked if I could give the show another couple of months in order for them to write me a nice exit. Two weeks later, I was called into a meeting with Lucy and Tony Wood and they told me about their idea of a 'flashforward' episode with Calvin dying. It wasn't my idea to die, though - as an actor you always want that safety net of being able to come back to it! I joked, 'Could he not just upset someone, go on holiday for a while or move away?' then he could come back in a year's time if Ricky's not working!"

Who's not happy with Calvin during the episode?
    "I can reel off the people but I'm not sure why they're angry though because we've not filmed it! You've got Zak and Des who are angry with him - they're very aggressive and Calvin even ends up punching Zak in the reception because of some racist comments, which will seem very out of Zak's character.

"Rhys also has a strong word with Calvin about something. This is a character that Calvin doesn't really interact with at the minute. The last time we saw those two speak was when Calvin was kissing his sister Beth literally about two years ago, so he's another one.

"All the McQueens have beef with Calvin, too - you've got Jacqui who's just found out about Calvin's affair with Mercedes, you have Michaela who's upset because Calvin's smacked Zak. Or could there be more to it with Michaela?

"Even though Sasha, Lauren and Spencer are family, they seem to be giving Calvin evils, too. There are so many hooks in this episode people will want to know what's going on straight away. They'll spend the next six months trying to figure out why people were acting the way they were in the flashforward - and, of course, understand who would want to kill Calvin."

Who would you like to have shot Calvin?
    "I think it'd be a big shock if it were someone like Warren. Just because I'd get to work with Jamie Lomas again! I love him to bits, he's a wicked guy. There are so many different ways they could go with it - it could be a friend, a family member. It could even be Carmel! I had the idea that it could be a mistake and that the bullet was meant for someone else and Calvin gets in the way."

How did you cope with the fast turnaround of the episode?
    "It was so bizarre. The script was written within days and we had it filmed and done within two weeks! Probably the biggest challenge we all faced was filming scenes for five months' time when we've not filmed what happens in between. There were scenes we didn't understand and you didn't know how far to take an option or a choice you make on the day. The great thing, though, is that the writers will be able to watch the episode back and write in a certain way, depending on how we all played a certain scene in the ep."

How's Strictly been impacting on your Hollyoaks schedule?
    "They've been trying to work with each other. I've missed out on a lot of press and publicity on Strictly. I've not been able to do It Takes Two - I think I've done it three times in 12 weeks whereas everyone else has been on every week. They've done lots of VTs and promotions, but I've not been able to because I've been filming all the time. Obviously I've been getting to training already shattered because I'm doing 12-hour days, and then the other way round I've been getting to work shattered because I'm dancing 'til midnight! I'm quite lucky though, as I've almost got a photographic memory when it comes to lines - if I didn't, I wouldn't be getting to bed until two in the morning!"

Hollyoaks' 'flashforward' episode airs on Monday, December 21 at 6.30pm on Channel 4.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to moonstorm For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (19-12-2009), lizann (19-12-2009), tammyy2j (18-12-2009)

His success on SCD i think has lead to him leaving i hope he loses in SCD final

I never liked Calvin or his family

Oh I quite like him, well his body anyway!!

Very dull character and terrible actor, good riddance
    Happy New Year SoapBoards!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris_2k11 For This Useful Post:

Bryan (18-12-2009), lizann (19-12-2009)

Ricky Whittle has announced that he is hoping to secure roles in the US after he completes work on Hollyoaks.

It was recently revealed that Whittle's character Calvin Valentine is to be shot dead at the end of the soap's forthcoming 'flashforward' episode, which is set in May 2010.

The 28-year-old actor has not yet finished filming for the Channel 4 drama as the events leading up to Calvin's passing will air over the next six months.

Confirming that it was his choice to bow out from the role, Whittle told DS: "To be honest I was always looking to leave next year. It'll be four years next year when I eventually leave. Everyone has ambition. I could stay on this show for the rest of my life because I love it up here - it's a wicked little family and we're all really close.

"However, I don't want to spend all that time here for a big movie director or producer to come across to England when I'm in my 30s and say, 'If you'd come over when you were in your 20s, you'd've made it really big'.

"I'd rather go over to the States, go do the movie thing, the drama thing or even fail - I'd rather go over and fail and have them say, 'You're not good enough, your accent's not right or your look's not right' - at least then I'd know and I'd have it out of my head. I always believe you regret the things you don't do. I don't want what-ifs hanging over me."

Meanwhile, on the decision to kill Calvin off, the star commented: "It wasn't my idea to die, though - as an actor you always want that safety net of being able to come back to it! I joked, 'Could he not just upset someone, go on holiday for a while or move away?' Then he could come back in a year's time if Ricky's not working!"

Whittle was first seen in Hollyoaks in July 2006 after previously playing Ryan Naysmith in Sky1's Dream Team.

Hollyoaks' 'flashforward' episode airs Monday at 6.30pm on Channel 4.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s1...-ambition.html

Another one trying his luck across the big pond I am sure he will be back on a soap in the not so distant future but I wish him luck

Across the pond hey! Maybe he'll venture as far as yorkshire like James Sutton did for Emmerdale, or if he's feeling very adventurous, he could get a role in Coronation Street or Eastenders!

Im sure he'll be poppin gup on our screens again in no time.

I really like the idea of this flashforward episode and the mystery of Calvin's death running for six months. If well-written, it could be really exciting. I do like the way Hollyoaks tries to shake the format up and do something interesting.

Sad to hear the Ricky's leaving Hollyoaks though.

He is a bad actor see Hollyoaks and Dream Team as proof

good riddance to him

What did you think of Hollyoaks flashforward

Thread Information