Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pointless

Thank you for your good wishes.

But we didn't get on yesterday. We were on standby as it all depended on the result of the first show they recorded; they record two a day. We arrived at 12:00 and went through all the pre-recording instructions, make-up, clothes selection and quick rehearsal etc. The first show started recording at 3:00. If one particular couple won then we would have been needed for the second recording, due to start at 7:00 (For those of you who've never seen the show, all contestants get two opportunities. There was one couple who were having their first go out of the four teams, so if they'd won they wouldn't come back which is when we would have gone on. The other three couples were all having their second go, so win or not they would all be leaving, so there were already couples ready to take their place. I hope that makes sense!)

Anyway, at just gone 4:00, the couple we were relying on returned to the Green Room. Not only did they not win, they were the first couple to be knocked out! The producer told us we wouldn't be needed but asked us if we could wait till 7:00 in case, for some reason, one of the other couples couldn't go on. So we waited till 7:00 and then left, getting home at about 9:45. It was a jolly nice day out and we did get a reasonable lunch and dinner out of the BBC. So we are now back to our original date of 18 January.

For those who have watched the show before I should add that they have changed the format. The first round is as before but with only four couples instead of five. The second round is completely different. Now what happens is that after Alexander asks the question seven alternatives come up on the screen; one is pointless and one is incorrect; the other five have scores varying between 1 and 99, so you have to choose one of the seven. The second person has the same question but seven different possible answers. The third round (the head to head) now consists of Alexander asking a question with each couple just giving one answer. The winner is the one whose answer scores the least. This is done until one team scores three points (i.e. best of five). The final is the same as before.

The jackpot at the start of the new series was £8750 rolled over from the last series. (Edit: Just to clarify. This means the amount up for grabs for the first show was £9750 as they add £1000 each show like Eggheads.) The show we would have been on was the third in the series.
    Last edited by parkerman; 06-01-2010 at 10:07.

Hi Parkerman,

Thanks for the info on the new format......

The second round sounds a bit "Unfair" since it is a BIG advantage in going first......

However, I guess when the second contestant gets up to the podium the order is reversed.

Seeing that there are only three couples left at that stage, then your team will either be going 1st and then 3rd or 2nd and then 2nd or 3rd and then 1st.....

Hi Parkerman......

Are you all ready for Monday......?

Yes...except that they are now not sure they want us after all!

Apparently, so they say, they have had a lot less couples winning on their first attempt than they expected, which means they don't need as many couples as they planned for. We are, even as I type, waiting for a phone call from the assistant producer to say whether we are needed or not. 18 January is the last day of filming for the next series.

Aww, I was looking forward to seeing you in that show. Won't be the same without you now I never know any of the contestants, was hoping to sit there and think: I know lots about him

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    I was hoping to sit there and think: I know lots about him
    Shhh, Perdy, you promised not to give away our secrets...

Sorry

sadly I received the phone call last night to tell us we wouldn't be needed as they have not had as many first time winners as they anticipated.

The assistant producer said that IF a third series was commissioned they would contact us again, but they don't know yet whether it will be.

Awww, sorry Mr p. But keep going for auditions for game shows, might see you on one of them yet

Just a reminder to everyone that Pointless is back on Monday 8 March, BBC 2 at 4:30 p.m. for a run of six weeks....sadly without me though.

Thread Information