Thread: ITV and STV are locked in a legal dispute over programming

ITV and STV are locked in a legal dispute over programming

In an age of unlimited television choice, the dispute between STV and ITV almost seems like a reminder of another age.

ITV and STV are locked in a legal dispute over programming

Grade says ITV victim in STV row
    Once 15 different companies made up the ITV network - each one the lord and master of its territory.

Now one company owns all the former regional stations in England, Wales and the Borders - but STV and UTV in Northern Ireland are keen to hold on to their historic positions.

Nobody disputes that STV is entitled to opt out of programmes such as The Bill and show other material instead.

The dispute is over whether the company still has to pay. ITV says it does - STV says it does not.

Inevitably decisions to drop high profile and popular programmes have been a talking point. The question is whether viewers are actually missing out.

Some of STV's replacement programmes have got ratings as good as, or even better than, the network programme might have, although others have flopped.

As a matter of principle, many people in Scotland believe that it is important to see programmes made in Scotland for Scotland.

Meanwhile, it seems many fans of network dramas have realised that with satellite or cable TV they can watch ITV1 London instead which carries the full network schedule. The programmes can also be seen on ITV's website.

Indeed there is speculation that ITV may eventually hand back its right to broadcast on Channel 3 in England, Wales and the Borders - and that ITV1 might then be broadcast to the whole UK in a different position on the electronic programme guide.

If this happened, about 10% of the UK population would lose access to ITV1 if they did not have cable or satellite - but ITV would be able to broadcast directly to viewers in Scotland and Northern Ireland without going through STV and UTV.

Whoever wins the legal dispute, it seems unlikely that the current arrangements between STV and ITV can last much longer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/8402320.stm

There have been a lot of complaints on Teletext about STV not showing programmes such as The Bill. I haven't read any letters saying that people are appreciating the change. (I don't live in Scotland, btw.)

I live in Scotland, I haven't even noticed the difference to be honest - but then I am not a fan of the Bill.

there are somethings that i would have missed has i not been able to view it through the AD channel but because i can access them i havent noticed the difference.

I notice the difference as some dramas are adverties then it says not show in Scotland. I know I can access them via cable channels or itv/iplayer but it's not the same watching it on the tv.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

Quote Originally Posted by Holly Trinity View Post
    I live in Scotland, I haven't even noticed the difference to be honest - but then I am not a fan of the Bill.
    You arent missing much. The Bill or as its now known Sun Hill CID show aka The Max Carter Show is a piss poor version of what was once ITVs top Police Drama

But Alan it's not just the Bill that has been effected it's other dramas like Doc Martin, Blue Murder and others. The way things are going in STV land it will only be a matter of time before Corrie disapears as well.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

Quote Originally Posted by Horny Holly View Post
    But Alan it's not just the Bill that has been effected it's other dramas like Doc Martin, Blue Murder and others. The way things are going in STV land it will only be a matter of time before Corrie disapears as well.
    I have never watched or even heard of any of those shows either. I am not a big fan of ITV to be honest.

Thread Information