A 21-year-old music graduate has been selected as the winner of EastEnders' theme remix competition.

Carl Darling's modern take on the original EastEnders opening was unanimously selected by the five-member judging panel as the title theme to the BBC soap's 12-part web-only miniseries E20.

Darling said of his win: "I have grown up hearing Simon May's original theme tune... so I feel very privileged to be a part of Eastenders: E20 history.

"I was very excited to hear that my track was chosen by such an eclectic judging panel and to spend time at the BBC studios and walking around the Square was phenomenal."

Executive producer Diederick Santer stated: "I'm really pleased with Carl's new version, and think it will top and tail our new series brilliantly. It's noisy and fun and full of life - much like the characters of EastEnders: E20."

Simon May, the composer of EastEnders' original theme, added: "I was very impressed and excited by all of the shortlisted remixes. Every single one of them had its merits.

"We were looking for an original and contemporary remix of the EastEnders theme, retaining its DNA but also something that had a young take on what BBC One viewers have become familiar with over the last 25 years."

The judging panel was made up of Santer, E20 producer Deborah Sathe, E20 director Michael Keillor, composor May and 1Xtra DJ Ace.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2...ix-winner.html