Page 77 of 77 FirstFirst ... 2767757677

Thread: The X Factor 2010

X FACTOR reject Gamu Nhengu is to be deported as soon as possible.
    Gamu, 19, claimed she faced a firing squad if she was sent back to Zimbabwe.

But she lost her appeal and must quit Tillicoultry, Clackmannanshire, after Border Agency chiefs ruled it is safe for her to return.

She is currently on tour singing in UK nightclubs.

A Home Office source said: "We are doing everything we can to remove her and her family who are here illegally.

"They will be deported at some point."

Gamu, whose family moved to the UK eight years ago, sparked a national uproar when she was kicked off X Factor by judge Cheryl Cole.

Her mother Nokutula's visa had expired last year and their application to remain was rejected after it emerged she had claimed £16,000 in working tax credits.

The Sun

Ofcom has ruled that performances by Rihanna and Christina Aguilera on The X Factor final were not in breach of guidelines.

The pair attracted complaints for their respective performances on the ITV1 show in December. The official response today confirmed that 2,868 complaints had been received, with a majority concerned that the routines had been "too sexually explicit" for what is perceived to be "a family show".

However, Ofcom revealed that "approximately 2,000" of the complaints had been received following coverage of Rihanna and Aguilera's performances in the Daily Mail. It highlighted that the report had featured a number of stills which were "significantly more graphic and close-up" than the material that had been broadcast on the programme, and that were "taken from a different angle to the television cameras".

Ofcom launched an investigation into the programme based on two rules which state that: "Children must be protected by appropriate scheduling from material that is unsuitable for them," and "In applying generally accepted standards broadcasters must ensure that material which may cause offence is justified by the context."

Channel TV, which compiled the programme on behalf of ITV1, insisted that "it did not believe that anything in the performances of Christina Aguilera or Rihanna was inappropriate for the time of broadcast" and suggested that regular viewers of the show "would be aware that it is designed to entertain a mixed audience".

However, it was confirmed that the director had made changes to the camera shots used during Aguilera's routine as some of them had been "too close for comfort". Close up shots of the Burlesque star and her dancers were replaced by "looser, wide shots".

The report continued: "Channel TV said on behalf of ITV1 that it regretted that some viewers were taken aback by the performance, but it believed that it took appropriate steps to minimise potential offence and make the dance routines as broadcast suitable for all by reviewing and amending the camera angles and shots used after seeing the performances 'blocked' at rehearsals."

In its ruling, Ofcom noted that of the show's total audience, 7% (1.05 million) were young children. A further 5.7% (then 50,000) youngsters watched a repeat at 9.30am the following morning.

On Rihanna's performance of 'What's My Name?', the media regulator said that it was "largely shot at a wide angle" and close-ups focused on the Bajan star's head and shoulders.

DS

Gamu Nhengu and her family have been granted leave to stay in the UK.

The former X Factor contestant, her two brothers and their mother Nokuthula Ngazana had their applications for visa extensions rejected last year by the UK Border Agency.

However, the original decision was reversed last November and the family has now won its appeal against deportation back to Zimbabwe.

In a statement, the family's lawyer Frances Farrell said: "We are delighted to announce that the court has allowed Gamu's, her brothers' and her mother's appeal.

"If the Home Office accepts the decision of the court, then my clients will be granted leave to remain in the UK."

The Home Office has five days to appeal the ruling.

Farrell also added that the decision was "the first great news [the family has] had for months".

Nhengu reached the Judges' Houses stage of last year's competition but did not make the final 16 of the show, provoking anger from her fans.

glad they've been granted to be able to stay in the UK.

Dannii Minogue quits 'The X Factor'

Dannii Minogue has confirmed that she will not return for the next series of The X Factor.

The 39-year-old, who won the 2007 and 2010 editions of the ITV contest with Leon Jackson and Matt Cardle, explained that her commitment to Australia's Got Talent had prevented her from rejoining the judging panel this year.

She told My Daily: "During discussions for me to return [to The X Factor] it became clear that unfortunately, this year, the X Factor audition dates in the UK clash with the live shows of Australia's Got Talent during June and July. For this reason I am unable to return.

"I want to wish the new judges every success for this year's show, and can't wait to see who the British public choose as their next big star. Thanks to everyone who has shown me so much love and support, and brought me so much joy during my four incredible years working on the show."

She added: "'Team Minogue' will continue to fly a flag later this year when the amazingly talented, and last year's winner, Matt Cardle releases his debut album."

The News of the World reports that N-Dubz star Tulisa Contostavlos has been drafted in as a replacement for Minogue, though her alleged appointment has yet to be confirmed.

Take That singer Gary Barlow is the only confirmed X Factor UK judge, after Simon Cowell and Cheryl Cole both quit their roles to join the forthcoming US version.

It has not been announced whether Louis Walsh will return to the panel for the eighth series.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

I'd love to see who the judges are. Simon Cowell was my favourite judge because of his fascial expressions and whitty comments.

Thread Information