Jay-Z has announced that he would like to offer his expertise on the next series of The X Factor.

The rapper revealed that he is interested in helping Simon Cowell to discover hip hop talent when the hit ITV1 contest returns later this year.

According to The Sun, Jay-Z said: "Simon, if you need any help for the next series, let me know man and I'm your judge. There is a lot of untapped hip hop talent in the UK and if they want my help finding some for the final 12 I am sure I could assist."

The star, who has his own record label Roc Nation, also expressed interest in assisting show judge Cheryl Cole as she launches her solo career in America.

He explained: "I keep a close eye on the music industry throughout the world and I know how hot Cheryl is in the UK. The US market is the toughest one to break into, but once you do it, it is by far the most lucrative.

"I think Cheryl has that talent to do it. There is nobody in the US like her right now, and I would be very interested in helping her break the US market this year."

Jay-Z's wife Beyoncé performed with Cole's act Alexandra Burke on the 2008 X Factor final.

DS