Page 317 of 404 FirstFirst ... 217267307315316317318319327367 ... LastLast
Results 3,161 to 3,170 of 4034

Thread: How Was Your Day? VII

Quote Originally Posted by Splashy View Post
    A Hit and A miss thou was the man quoting for two new storage heaters.....
    I'm sure Splashy some of these guys after they've completed their college training and qualified ,then sign up for an additional final course on how to
    bull***t prospective clients. What they forget, as you've said, we've heard it all before. Some 3 or 4 years ago I was looking to get our front drive resurfaced with tarmac. Made contact with a firm (yellow pages, half page advert which contained enough emblems ,awards ,crests etc. to sink a ship)
    A man duly turns up carrying a clip board and one of those measuring wheels ( the type used by contractors for big road or pavement surfacing jobs) I should say our drive measures about 18 foot X 7 foot. The man tells me he needs to measure the drive , I tell him 18x7, not satisfied with this he starts pacing up and down the drive with this wheel thing, so many times I lost count. He then writes down copious notes ,says he'll need a JCB style digger and a team of 7 guys for a week to complete the job . After stopping myself bursting into laughter he left and said he'd pop a quote in the post. This turned out to be £6,500. Needless to say his "kind" offer was declined. The work was eventually done very satisfactorily by two guys in a couple of days for just over a grand.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glen1 For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (22-02-2017), Splashy (22-02-2017)

Isle of Widget.. well used to be more Southampton ish for now
    ... you dont happen to know any decent storage heater installers in the south do you Glen ... seems like youre the no messing about with me kind of fella that I need helping me sort out this annoyance... Ahhh but i will get there, will get back in the phone next week and sort this.

Im still chuckling over the fact the guy today with the 4 grand quote for storage heaters said, "oh and they are easy to take with you when you move just lift them off the brackets and away you go" As a landlord the last thing you want is for your tenants to be able to walk off with your 4 grand worth of heaters

Why am I awake at 5.20am

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Splashy For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (22-02-2017), Glen1 (22-02-2017)

I'm not that smart Splashy, as you've said ,a lot of it is down to a gut feeling. All that I can say is maybe consider a recommendation from someone you know and trust. Direct contact with a reputable storage heater supplier in your area may be able to recommend a qualified person for supply and installation. As far as radiator security is concerned get the installer to drill the bracket and and fit an allen key headed bolt to secure it. This might prevent a spontaneous theft. Good luck, stick at it ,you'll crack the case.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Glen1 For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (22-02-2017), Perdita (22-02-2017), Splashy (22-02-2017)

Sage words Glen sage words...failing that I`ll call the chuckle brothers "to you, to me ,to you" cant be any worse than the last quote I got

Just back from visiting my home land, the Isle Of Wight, took the fast Jet there and a slow ferry back. Had lunch in the Union Inn in Cowes and looked at a couple of 2 bed flats I might rent later this year.All have brilliant views of the Solent (the water between the island and the mainland) and are less in rent than I will get from my flat in the main city.

If you want to see a feed from the Ferry I took just Google red funnel ferry webcam

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Splashy For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (22-02-2017), Glen1 (22-02-2017), Perdita (22-02-2017)

A view of the Solent sounds wonderful! Did you particularly like either of the flats?

(I just checked out the red funnel ferry webcam but all I can see is darkness... )
    Last edited by Dazzle; 22-02-2017 at 19:10.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

Splashy (24-02-2017)

Sage words Glen sage words...failing that I`ll call the chuckle brothers "to you, to me ,to you" cant be any worse than the last quote I got

Just back from visiting my home land, the Isle Of Wight, took the fast Jet there and a slow ferry back. Had lunch in the Union Inn in Cowes and looked at a couple of 2 bed flats I might rent later this year.All have brilliant views of the Solent (the water between the island and the mainland) and are less in rent than I will get from my flat in the main city.

If you want to see a feed from the Ferry I took just Google red funnel ferry webcam
    Used to live across the water in Southampton and loved every moment of it .. I was able to watch all the big cruise ships come and go ... this has made me a little homesick right now

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (22-02-2017), Glen1 (23-02-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    Used to live across the water in Southampton and loved every moment of it .. I was able to watch all the big cruise ships come and go ... this has made me a little homesick right now
    I also used to live very close to the sea, and spent many fascinating hours as a child watching the ships sail up and down the Bristol Channel. I still live close but I'm in a city now and can no longer see it.
    Last edited by Dazzle; 22-02-2017 at 22:42.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (23-02-2017), Perdita (23-02-2017), Siobhan (23-02-2017), Splashy (24-02-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post
    I also used to live very close to the sea, and spent many fascinating hours as a child watching the ships sail up and down the Bristol Channel. I still live close but I'm in a city now and can no longer see it.
    I was close to the sea too and now I am very much inland. I still miss the smell of the sea and love when I go back to Dublin for that salty air
    Last edited by Siobhan; 23-02-2017 at 16:55.
    Super Mod

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Siobhan For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (23-02-2017), Glen1 (23-02-2017), Perdita (23-02-2017), Splashy (24-02-2017), swmc66 (23-02-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    wow,, you must of lived in Shirley as well then ... or Freemantle... there abouts.. the Crusise liners are great but they used to anoy me with their "oh look Im leaving now" firework displays... and dont get me started on the frequent drops of containers from berth 101 and 102 by the countainer loading cranes... but new years eve is always special as all the ships in the port honk their horns..

Loved reading all the comments about the sea side...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Splashy For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (24-02-2017)

wow,, you must of lived in Shirley as well then ... or Freemantle... there abouts.. the Crusise liners are great but they used to anoy me with their "oh look Im leaving now" firework displays... and dont get me started on the frequent drops of containers from berth 101 and 102 by the countainer loading cranes... but new years eve is always special as all the ships in the port honk their horns..

Loved reading all the comments about the sea side...
    No, I lived right close to the water in Weston

Thread Information