Page 151 of 404 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161201251 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 4034

Thread: How Was Your Day? VII

Well right now I am in a hotel room in Galveston, Texas, trying to stop procrastination and get on with righting an essay on Medusa

I am still working full-time, doing a part-time classics degree with the OU and so busy that I rarely watch TV let alone post on Soapboards, but I lurk every now and again

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trinity For This Useful Post:

alan45 (16-10-2012), Siobhan (16-10-2012)

Glad to hear you are still with us. A classics degree indeed. I wouldn't have thought Galveston as the cradle of Civilisation. There's obviously another attraction
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Well right now I am in a hotel room in Galveston, Texas, trying to stop procrastination and get on with righting an essay on Medusa

I am still working full-time, doing a part-time classics degree with the OU and so busy that I rarely watch TV let alone post on Soapboards, but I lurk every now and again
    Good luck with your degree, have a great time in Galveston and I am glad to know you still lurk here every now and then

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post

Good luck with your degree, have a great time in Galveston and I am glad to know you still lurk here every now and then

I am only in Galveston for the week, and it is really historic (by Texan standards!). Why, the Galvez Hotel is over 100 years old, y'all, and the Tremont is one of the 100 Historic Hotels of America.

Houston, that concrete jungle of a place, is also a hot bed of the arts. The Houston Museum of Fine Arts is an AMAZING place, fabulous antiquities and tremendous impressionist gallery. I didn't see the rest of I would have been there all week. Ok, it is not of the standard of the National Gallery and British Museum in London, but it is definitely superior to the NGS, which I love.

The 'other attraction' Alan, is spending some time with my husband. He is at an off site meeting here all week, and it is a nice place for me to get some work done and then spend the evening with him and a bunch of his colleagues. Currently he seems to be home one week in three, if that, so it has been nice. I am flying back via Heathrow tomorrow though, on my own.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trinity For This Useful Post:

alan45 (19-10-2012), Siobhan (19-10-2012)

I am only in Galveston for the week, and it is really historic (by Texan standards!). Why, the Galvez Hotel is over 100 years old, y'all, and the Tremont is one of the 100 Historic Hotels of America.

Houston, that concrete jungle of a place, is also a hot bed of the arts. The Houston Museum of Fine Arts is an AMAZING place, fabulous antiquities and tremendous impressionist gallery. I didn't see the rest of I would have been there all week. Ok, it is not of the standard of the National Gallery and British Museum in London, but it is definitely superior to the NGS, which I love.

The 'other attraction' Alan, is spending some time with my husband. He is at an off site meeting here all week, and it is a nice place for me to get some work done and then spend the evening with him and a bunch of his colleagues. Currently he seems to be home one week in three, if that, so it has been nice. I am flying back via Heathrow tomorrow though, on my own.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Trinity For This Useful Post:

alan45 (19-10-2012)

I've been spending the last few days trying to save an 18th century farmhouse in Clacton from being demolished by our local vandals, better known as the council: http://www.clactonandfrintongazette....loom/?ref=mmsp

11. The Following User Says Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

alan45 (20-10-2012)

Backhanders all round by the sounds of things. FN Disgrace
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

13. The Following User Says Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

parkerman (20-10-2012)

I don't think you're far wrong, Alan...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

alan45 (20-10-2012)

Just heard that the council have told the owners not to proceed with demolition on two grounds.
    1. I have applied to English Heritage for listing, so they should wait until the outcome of that has been decided.
    2. Someone else has complained that there are bats in the building and they are not allowed to demolish a building with bats in (as they are a protected species) without a licence which they don't have.

We're not out of the woods yet but it has given us time.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

Trinity (23-10-2012)

Thread Information