Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Corrie's Blanche has died

sooo sad- best character and actress ever xx

It's such a sad day in soapland.

Earlier this afternoon, Coronation Street announced the sad loss of one of its all-time greatest actresses Maggie Jones.

Apparently, when the news hit the set, there was a huge and spontaneous round of applause which was extremely moving and lasted several minutes.

Her final scenes with the soap aired on Friday, November 20 at 8.30pm.

Here's a look back at some of Blanche's greatest one-liners.

Blanche telling Liz off for leaving her washing drying all over the sitting room:
    "Kenneth doesn't want to stare at thongs all day. The man's an intellectual!"

Blanche to Deirdre:
    "You need to learn to enjoy other people's misfortune; otherwise, you're going to have a very unhappy old age."

Blanche to Deirdre after turning Ken's proposal down:
    "Well if you leave it much longer, he won't be able to get up again!"

Blanche:
    "I don't have any truck with tank tops. They're unmanly."

Blanche trying to watch TV while Deirdre and Tracy are gossiping:
    "You pick over other people's love lives for your own petty amusement. I wouldn't mind but I can't hear Trisha!"

Blanche:
    "I didn't get central heating until I was 52, which is why my skin is like alabaster!"

Blanche to Tracy:
    "You look remarkably chipper. Trod on a snail?"

Blanche to Deirdre:
    "Good looks are a curse. You and Ken should count yourselves lucky."

Blanche talking to Ross, an alcoholic at Peter's alcohol support group, about Deirdre and Ken:
    "Careful, she'll be coming onto you next… They're like a pair of swingers…"

Blanche talking about Ross at Peter's AA meeting:
    "I've never heard so much self-indulgent whinging in all my life. Is there some correlation between how boring you are and how much you drink?"

Blanche talking to Dev after he tripped up making his way inside following his embarrassing naked portrait exposé:
    "Don't look at me. With my arthritis, I can barely peel a satsuma."

Kirk bumps into Blanche outside the Barlows' after she's been thrown out by Deirdre:
    Kirk: "Alright? Off on your holidays?"
    Blanche: "Yes, I'm going to hell in a handcart."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s3...lanchisms.html

The cast of Coronation Street have begun to pay tribute to Weatherfield legend Maggie Jones.

The 75-year-old actress, who played Blanche Hunt on the ITV soap, passed away in hospital earlier today after losing a long battle with illness.

Katherine Kelly, who portrays barmaid Becky McDonald, said: “Our Maggie is irreplaceable. No words can truly describe how fabulous she was. I feel blessed to have known her."

Sean Tully, actor Antony Cotton, commented: "I am absolutely devastated to hear the sad news about Maggie. I will remember her as a friend and a colleague - a brilliant woman - smart, honest and laugh-out-loud funny. But I will also remember her as the public will - as the unstoppable Blanche Hunt. Sharper than a Velociraptor with a flick knife, she always said just what you wanted to hear. "

He added: "In Coronation Street, with the bright lights of Weatherfield all competing to illuminate the Rovers Return, there was Maggie as Blanche - a laser beam. We'll miss you, kid."

Bill Roache, who plays Ken Barlow, said: "Maggie was a big part of the Barlow family and a brilliant actress. She was a tower of strength, physically frail but mentally strong as an ox and sharp as someone half her age. She had an amazing dry wit and was as funny if not funnier than Blanche. We were great crossword partners, we sat through Tracy's trial scenes doing the crossword together.

"I don't think Maggie ever realised how much she was loved not only by everyone on the show but by the millions of Blanche fans out there. She will be greatly missed."

Coronation Street executive producer Kieran Roberts stated: "Maggie was a much-loved colleague and a wonderful actress who turned Blanche into a true Coronation Street icon. She will be hugely missed by Coronation Street's many millions of viewers and by everyone who works on Coronation Street. Our thoughts and prayers go to Maggie's sister Joan at this very sad time."

Jones's agent Katie Threlfall said: "Maggie was a rare treasure; incredibly kind, honest and loved by so many. It has been such a privilege to work with her, and we will miss her dearly."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s3...gie-jones.html

Pictures of Blanche throughout her years on Corrie, what an attractive woman:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s3...ie-career.html

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (03-12-2009)

Terribly sad news. I always enjoyed Blanche's one liners when I watched corrie. Maggie will be missed by many.
    Thanks CrazyLea

really sad news, i thought she was on the mend, she will be missed.

RIP Maggie

R.I.P she will be missed......

R.I.P Maggie. Corrie has lost another legend. She was an icon no one could match her wit. Soapland won't be the same without her.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

So sad, best soap comedy character ever. She really will be sorely missed from the show. RIP Maggie
    Happy New Year SoapBoards!

Thread Information