Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2010 (includes TV schedule during the WC)

World Cup 2010 (includes TV schedule during the WC)

France, World Cup winners in 1998 and finalists in 2006, missed out on a place in the eight top seeds for Friday's draw, announced by FIFA.

FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke told a news conference the decision had been based on the world rankings and had no connection with the controversy over France's infamous "handball" goal against Ireland.

The top seeds are hosts South Africa, holders Italy, Argentina, Brazil, England, Germany, Netherlands and Spain.

If rankings had been used as the sole criterion France, ranked seventh, and Portugal would have been seeded at the expense of England and Argentina.

France are left as the most dangerous floating team who could be drawn in the same group as any one of the top eight seeds.

The draw for the finals, being staged in South Africa from June 11 to July 11, will be made in a 90-minute television spectacular starting at 17:00 UK time on Friday.

The 32 teams will be drawn into four groups of eight. Apart from the seeds, teams will be placed in pots which will largely avoid teams from the same continent meeting each other.

Pot 1 will comprise the eight top seeds with South Africa already sure to play in Group A and in the opening match at Johannesburg's Soccer City stadium on June 11.

The second pot will comprise eight teams from Asia, North and Central America and Oceania - Australia, Honduras, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, North Korea, South Korea and United States.

The third pot will be the five other African countries and three remaining South American nations - Algeria, Cameroon, Chile, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Paraguay and Uruguay.

The final pot is made up of the eight remaining teams from Europe -- Denmark, France, Greece, Portugal, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia and Switzerland.

Valcke said there had been an agreement within the organising committee to base the seedings on the FIFA world rankings for October.

He said this had been done with the agreement of UEFA president Michel Platini of France who was very keen, for the sake of fairness, for it to be done when European teams had all played the same number of qualifying games.

Valcke said this agreement pre-dated the infamous play-off in Paris when France scored an equaliser against Ireland after Thierry Henry had blatantly handled before setting up the William Gallas goal which put France into the finals.

There had been some media speculation that France might be "punished" by FIFA after widespread protests at the result from Ireland and beyond.

The decision on how the seedings and pot grouping work means that the seeded teams would most fear being drawn into a group which included the United States from pot two, Ivory Coast from pot three and France from pot four.

The pots for Friday's World Cup draw to be hosted in Cape Town.

Pot 1 (seeds): South Africa (group A), Argentina, Brazil, England, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Spain

Pot 2: Australia, Japan, North Korea, South Korea, Honduras, Mexico, USA, New Zealand

Pot 3: Algeria, Cameroon, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Chile, Paraguay, Uruguay

Pot 4: Denmark, France, Greece, Portugal, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland

One team from each pot will be drawn into the eight opening round groups for the tournament from June 11-July 11.

Lets hope for the sake of fairness France get knocked out in the First Round

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

lizann (03-12-2009), Siobhan (03-12-2009)

yep me to, i hope they do.

I need to pick a team to support, should be a good cometition.,

I shall stick to my favourites Brazil, they always have my support

i was thinking Brazil but i gone off most the players since a few of them Joined man city and i cant stand Robinho! Im either thinking ARgentina, cause Tevez plays for them, or spain as thats where a couple of my cousins are from.

France not to win

Quote Originally Posted by alan45 View Post
    Lets hope for the sake of fairness France get knocked out in the First Round
    I hope they are put in the German pool... My partner has promised revenge!!
    Super Mod

Pot 4: Denmark, France, Greece, Portugal, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland

I think revenge has to wait a bit, unless Portugal is on form. I don't think that France needs to worry about the other teams too much.

Ah crap... so I am danish, swiss or portugese next summer
    Super Mod

Hang on.. that is not the results.. that is just the pots they are in now... draw is tomorrow.... all european teams are in same pot until drawn
    Super Mod

Thread Information