Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Betty’s ‘killer hotpot plot’

Exclamation Betty’s ‘killer hotpot plot’

CORRIE legend Betty Williams fears she has become a killer - when an elderly woman is poisoned by one of her famous hotpots.
    The "victim", 91, is her rival for the title of Manchester's Oldest Barmaid Betty turns 90 in the soap in February.

Rovers Return landlord Steve McDonald (Simon Gregson) celebrates with a party and boasts the pub is home of the city's oldest barmaid to the Weatherfield Gazette.

However, local Enid Crump is furious because she is 91 and still works in The Parsons Arms boozer. She storms into the Rovers and creates merry hell.

Steve offers her a sherry and a hotpot to calm her down but can only find one at the back of the fridge. He microwaves the meal, not realising it is TWO MONTHS old.

Later, he and Betty discover Enid has been rushed to a doctor and is at death's door with food poisoning.

The panicking barmaid, played by Betty Driver, 89, tells Steve: "It's murder. I'll have killed her. I'm too old to go to prison. I'll never come out alive."

Steve's mum Liz (Beverley Callard) fears her beloved pub will be shut down.

But he tells Betty: "I'm sure it'll be fine. You can't murder someone with a hotpot. The police will understand it was an accident.

"And look on the bright side, if Enid dies, you can then officially call yourself the undisputed Oldest Barmaid in Town."

However, Steve soon gets worried when wife Becky (Katherine Kelly) tells him: "It won't be Betty that cops it if Enid pops her clogs, Steve - it'll be you. You delivered the fatal blow."

The storyline will be a landmark for actress Betty, who turns 90 in March and this year celebrated more than 30 years in Coronation Street.

Betty, originally a concert pianist, was made an MBE in 2000. The role of of her rival Enid is yet to be cast.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...by-hotpot.html

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (02-12-2009), LostVoodoo (02-12-2009), tammyy2j (02-12-2009)

aww bless betty, thats really sweet, shes looking really good for 89!

Doesnt say too much about the hygeine in T'rovers of a hotpot could sit unnoticed for two months. I would have thought it would be walking out by itself by then. Surely even Steve would have notice the growth of bluemould and the smell.

I hope Betty's hotpot takes out a few more

Like the Windasses and Theresa

Quote Originally Posted by alan45 View Post
    Doesnt say too much about the hygeine in T'rovers of a hotpot could sit unnoticed for two months. I would have thought it would be walking out by itself by then. Surely even Steve would have notice the growth of bluemould and the smell.
    Might have been stored away in a Tupperware container, you probably would not have smelled anything. I agree with the hygiene issue though, they need to clean their fridge out more thoroughly by the look of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alan45 View Post
    Might have been stored away in a Tupperware container, you probably would not have smelled anything. I agree with the hygiene issue though, they need to clean their fridge out more thoroughly by the look of it.
    Even had it been a Tupperware contain even Steve would have noticed the growth of bluemould when he removed the lid of the container

Come on, Alan, we are talking Steve here and I can think of a few other male members of the human species who would not see/smell anything wrong. My OH would porbably think it needs to look like that

Personally I think this is a stupid storyline and am surprised that if the spoilers are to be believed they did not think it through. ANYONE no matter how stupid would recognise food that had been lying for two months in a fridge

It's probably supposed to be a bit of fun and not necessarily be true-to-life. It's good that Betty is getting a storyline.

Thread Information