Denise Welch has announced that she is hoping to return to Waterloo Road for two one-off episodes in the New Year.

In August, the 51-year-old actress confirmed that she had quit her role as French teacher Steph Haydock on the BBC One school drama. The Loose Women star's decision means that she will not appear as a regular cast member on the forthcoming sixth run.

Reflecting on her choice to move on, Welch told The People: "I have loved it, but the problem is they plan to start filming another series straight after the latest one, which means I would be signed up for 12 months. It would effectively have meant me giving up Loose Women. I just didn't want to give up that side of my life.

"Also, I have my autobiography out next spring. I need time to finish it and promote it. The producers understood and they accepted my decision with good grace, but it was still very tough and I will be sad to go."

She added: "Having said that, they have asked me to come back in January for a couple of one-offs and if we can make that work, then I will be more than happy to do that."

Welch can currently be seen in Waterloo Road's fifth series, which airs on Wednesday nights on BBC One.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2...rloo-road.html