Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: John Partridge (Christian Clarke)

Me too, I love him as Christian in EE, don't watch Over the Rainbow mind you so can't comment on that.

John Partridge - Christian Clarke DS Interview

Christian and Syed's relationship takes a surprising new twist in EastEnders next week after Roxy offers to be a surrogate mother for the couple. Events move quickly from there and it's not long before Christian has provided his best friend with a sperm sample, looking forward to what the future might hold. However, when Syed gets cold feet, the pair rush to stop Roxy from using the sample - only to discover that they're too late and the deed has been done. DS recently caught up with John Partridge, who plays Christian, and heard how this is only the start of an eventful time ahead for one of Albert Square's most popular couples…

Christian and Syed's storyline could have gone down many different routes now that they're in a happy and stable relationship - are you pleased that they've gone with the surrogacy plot?
    "Well, the thing is that some storylines are just a way of getting you to another story. Everyone is so focused on the surrogacy aspect - I think that people think this storyline is about surrogacy, when in actual fact it's not. It's actually a story that leads to a story. Of course I'm happy that they're going down the surrogacy route, but that's not the full picture and it's only the start. People mustn't get too hung up on the fact that it's about surrogacy, because we're actually just dipping our toes into this storyline."

Some viewers have been quite keen for a civil partnership for Christian and Syed - would you have liked to see the writers go down that route?
    "It could have gone down the civil partnership route, but where's the drama in civil partnership? Christian and Syed would be really happy and they'd get married - there's no drama in that, is there? Also, I think that would have been a massive jump for Syed - to leave his old life behind, to be dealing with his sexuality, to be living a gay life and then to suddenly say he's going to get married. Especially after having such a fantastic wedding last time - even though it was for all the wrong reasons! (Laughs) I don't think that would have been the right choice dramatically or for serving the characters and their story. I think it may have been a crowd-pleaser, but that's not necessarily what the story is there to serve. The story is there to serve the characters."

Will this new storyline serve the characters well?
    "I think it will serve the characters very well and provide drama. Part two of our storyline will be a far deeper emotional level than the first part - it'll be far stronger in emotional and dramatic content. The surrogacy story is the way of starting our storyline, but all storylines aren't what they seem! It won't take a path that most people will imagine it to take - there are many twists and turns in this storyline if it plays out as we've been led to believe, and the surrogacy definitely isn't the main event."

What kind of impact would you like the surrogacy aspect to have?
    "As a gay man and a gay actor, I am happy that we go down the surrogacy route - I think these type of issues are very important. The thing is, once EastEnders puts an issue like gay surrogacy to the front of the show, in three years' time something like this becomes so commonplace that it wouldn't even be worthy of having it as a story. So as far as I'm concerned, I think that gay surrogacy is an important story. As long as a child is brought into the world in a loving environment and two people feel responsible enough to provide that, then that's all that matters. But EastEnders is not here to preach to people, to be an educational tool or to tell people how to live their lives. EastEnders is a fictional programme and I think sometimes we can forget that and believe what's happening on screen is real life, when it isn't. EastEnders is here for enjoyment and if, within that, you can have a moralistic tone or encourage someone to talk about an issue in their life, that's a good thing - but the role of the show is to provide drama and enjoyment."

Do you think Christian is rushing in to the surrogacy idea too quickly?
    "Well, Christian wanted a baby before and those types of feelings - if they're genuine - don't just go away. Christian is not getting any younger and he's a character who often acts on impulse - once he decides he wants something, he goes out there and tries to make it happen. He's approaching 40, he's happy, he's with a guy he loves, and a baby is what he wants to make his life feel complete. But he has wanted a child for the past 18 months after the Amy story, and even though you don't see him with Amy all the time, the idea is that he's a great godfather to her. He was devastated when it didn't work out with Amy and just because he hasn't been seen agonising over having a baby doesn't mean he hasn't thought about it. He's definitely not doing it on a whim."

Roxy obviously has a part to play here - what do you think of her role in Christian and Syed's storyline? Some fans often get frustrated with her for interfering in their relationship…
    "I love the character of Roxy! Christian loves her and I love her too. I think that she's a fantastic character and I think that their relationship is fantastic. The thing is, when you're in a relationship with somebody, you can't tell them everything. With long-lasting, successful relationships, you often have to keep something back - and everybody needs a best friend. Christian and Roxy are best friends for better and for worse. They egg each other on, they have fun together and they're there to lean on each other and confide in. I think that if Christian and Syed were just cocooned together all the time, they wouldn't last. I also think sometimes people forget that Christian has an edge - he's a gay guy that could probably be a right bitch if he wants to be! If Christian wasn't gay, I think him and Roxy would be perfect for each other, but unfortunately he is uber-gay so that's never going to happen! But I think they'll always be together - even when they're old and grey. Roxy is part of the package as far as Christian is concerned."

Do you think Roxy is always well-intentioned when it comes to Christian and Syed's relationship?
    "I think she is always well-intentioned, yes. Even if a bit of the green-eyed monster comes out every now and again, she loves Christian. You have to remember that Roxy doesn't have any other mates - she hasn't got anyone else. So sometimes she might think, 'Oh Syed, just get lost!' But she knows how Christian feels about him and she knows that more than anybody. It's harmless, really - when it comes down to it, she knows how Christian feels and I don't think she would do anything to hurt him intentionally."

Do you think we'll ever get back to the point where Christian and Syed are spending a lot of screen time with the Masoods, and maybe resolving some of the issues there?
    "Well, like I say, we're just starting this story and of course, yes, I do think we will get back to that. I do think that will happen throughout the story because obviously there has to be some type of resolution. So in a word, yes, I think those issues will start to be resolved. We may not have the outcome that people want and it may not come about in the way that people think, but some of those issues will be addressed, yes. I don't think we'd be serving the story or the characters well if these things were just left unaddressed."

You often say in interviews that you want Christian and Syed to remain "strong and united" - but at the same time, is it good to get a storyline where there's potential for conflict and for the relationship to be tested?
    "When I say 'strong and united', I mean that I don't think they should be broken up by infidelity or that type of thing. I think there is lots of scope for drama and for their relationship to be tested, but there are many ways for that to happen without putting a divide between them either physically or emotionally. That's what I mean when I say that Christian and Syed will remain united. And they actually really will be tested this year."

Is this a completely new era for Christian and Syed, or will any of the old plot points be revisited - like Amira?
    "I can honestly say that, up to now, our new story has absolutely nothing to do with Amira and nothing to do with her baby. I can categorically say that and, as far as I'm aware, she has no involvement with any of it so we can put that all to bed right now. There'll be no baby on the doorstep or anything like that, as far as I'm aware. So that's something that we can lay to rest!"

A few people are also wondering whether the incident where Masood left Christian after he'd been attacked will be mentioned again…
    "I wouldn't have thought it would, no. I think in some ways that's all been addressed, because the family want nothing to do with Christian and Syed. I don't think it was a surprise for Christian and, in a way, I don't think there's any way that they can address that. Masood felt that Christian was getting what he deserved and I don't think there's any way to go back over that. They've had their little spats, like when Masood punched Christian in The Vic. I don't think we should go over old turf - the story needs to move on as those issues have already been dealt with. There's no point raking over 'Who did what to who?' because it's already been done and Christian and Syed will be together whether his parents like it or not."

What else can you tell us about the new storyline?
    "The storyline is now about new ground, a new set of circumstances to deal with and it features the characters it's featured so far - like the Beales and the Masoods. So it's a story that will once again involve many families. It's not just going to be about Christian and Syed - it's going to involve other people and draw everybody in again in the way that the original story did, but also with a few other players thrown in there!"

Things have been quieter for you and Marc in terms of screen time in the past six months - have you been busier at work recently?
    "Yes, we have been getting busier now. I think we had to have time off. I think it was a bit difficult for Bryan [Kirkwood] to come in and inherit a story that was, in a way, coming to its peak. So Bryan had to decide how he felt about the story and decide what he was going to do in terms of moving it forward or not. It's a story that's very high profile and people feel so passionate about it, so I think that he wanted to take his time to decide that he was going to be able to serve the story and the characters in the best way. I think that's why we had some quiet time - because they were deciding exactly where they wanted to take the characters and the story. Now that we're just coming out of that quiet time and coming out of the surrogacy thread, we've started to pick up the pace."

It's the NTAs next week - do you think EastEnders is in with a good chance for the 'Best Serial Drama' prize?
    "Yeah, of course I think it is! The viewing figures speak for themselves - we've been consistently high. But each year, at all of these awards, I always think that all of the soaps have an equal chance, really. Coronation Street and EastEnders are great sparring partners and it's great to have Corrie doing so well. I think that Coronation Street is always strong every year so it's great to have that healthy competition. But of course I think EastEnders is going to do well this year - we've had some amazing storylines as well as some high-profile and controversial ones, but it wouldn't be EastEnders without that. I think we're in with as good a chance as we are any other year."

Lacey Turner, Steve McFadden and Ricky Norwood are also up for big awards…
    "Yeah, it's amazing. I think we've got a great chance of winning. Ricky is a great addition to the show - I think his character is fantastic and I think he's really grown and developed since he moved over from E20 as Fatboy has become a really loveable character. Lacey is clearly an amazing actress and it would be lovely to round her time off with another trophy - if she's got a mantelpiece big enough! (Laughs) And I think Steve can sometimes get overlooked - I think that can happen sometimes when you become a long-running cast member in a show like this. But I think Steve's performance through his storyline was fantastic, so it's recognition well deserved for him."

Will you and Marc be attending the NTAs?
    "Oh you know me, I never miss a party! Any excuse to get dolled up! But I'm not sure yet whether Marc is going to be there."

Finally, is there anything you'd like to say to your loyal fans on the Digital Spy forums?
    "Marc and I are both touched and honoured that they have been so, so supportive and have stuck with the story even when there hasn't been much story for them to stick with. They're so passionate about every single aspect of our characters and we're both really, really flattered and really honoured that they have stuck with us. I just want to let them know that for all of the frustrations they may or may not feel about our story, about screen time or anything - the pay-off will be worth the wait this year, so hang in there and get your hankies ready!"

EastEnders couple Christian and Syed will make good parents, actor John Partridge has said.

The Albert Square pair are currently working through plans to adopt a child together after Christian convinced his boyfriend, played by Marc Elliott, that they should start a family together.

Partridge told Soaplife when asked if they would make good parents: "I think so. Christian would certainly make a great dad. I hope they succeed. It would be really interesting to explore them as a family. I personally love the idea of having another child on set. I'm good with kids and enjoy having them around."

Upcoming scenes will see Syed tell Christian that he no longer wants to adopt, leading Partridge's alter ego to have an emotional showdown with Zainab (Nina Wadia).

Partridge said of Syed: "I think he still has this idea that anybody gay shouldn't raise a child. It's a bit of a stumbling block. Christian doesn't have any issues. He wants Syed to step out of the closet and accept who he is."

On the possibility of Syed finding out that his ex-wife Amira departed Albert Square while pregnant, he added: "It would all depend on what Syed wants. Christian wants a child and if he found out Syed was already a dad I like to think he'd be compassionate enough to accept that.

"They might have a child by the end of the year. Hopefully they'll get married, too. If they did it'd be a real Elton John affair!"

John Partridge will return to EastEnders for the soap opera's 30th anniversary.

Partridge will be reprising his role as Christian Clarke to attend the wedding of Christian's sister Jane (Laurie Brett) to Ian Beale (Adam Woodyatt).

John Partridge at the Attitude Magazine Awards 2012 (16/10/12)
    © WENN / Daniel Deme

A spokesperson for EastEnders told the Daily Star: "We can confirm that John Partridge is returning as Christian for a week of special episodes to mark our 30th anniversary."

Partridge originally starred in EastEnders from 2008 to 2012, and has returned for cameos since his on-screen departure.

EastEnders' anniversary week will also include returns from high-profile former stars Barbara Windsor and Jo Joyner, although Ross Kemp has declined to reprise his role as Grant Mitchell.

The celebrations are to feature live elements being integrated into EastEnders throughout the week.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (18-01-2015), lizann (19-01-2015), tammyy2j (19-01-2015)

no syed and the daughter with him

EastEnders is welcoming back John Partridge and Lynda Baron as part of an explosive new storyline for the Beale family.

The pair will briefly reappear in their roles as Christian and Linda Clarke in early summer, but the exact details of their comeback are being kept top secret.

Producers are promising that the drama in store will change the Beale family forever, so Christian and his mum Linda are sure to be involved in some unmissable episodes.

Partridge will be fitting in his EastEnders filming alongside his current work on a touring production of Chicago The Musical.

"I am thrilled to be able to return to EastEnders whilst touring the UK with Chicago," Partridge said.

"Christian is never far from my mind - I turn my back for five minutes and look what happens."

Christian was last seen on our screens in February 2015, when he returned briefly for his sister Jane's wedding in EastEnders' 30th anniversary week.

Partridge, who recently finished in sixth place on Celebrity Big Brother, was a Walford regular between 2008 and 2012.

Linda hasn't been seen since February 2009, when she moved back to Florida with her husband Roger.

Digital Spy

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (08-04-2016), lizann (08-04-2016)

bobby reveal jane to jail or dies

John Partridge teases his EastEnders return
    John Partridge has teased his upcoming EastEnders return - and suggested he could be involved in the ongoing Lucy Beale storyline.
    The actor, who will be reprising his role as Christian Clarke, refused to divulge much but did confirm he'll have scenes with Jane (Laurie Brett) in particular.
    "I think what I'm filming for now will be screening around June," he said (via Northampton Chronicle and Echo). "Obviously there's a long and ongoing storyline with the Beale family and the whole 'Who killed Lucy?' threat.
    "Christian has come back to look after Jane Beale, and it is going to be a big year for the Beale family."
    Partridge added: "It was my first day back yesterday, and it felt wonderful - like putting on a nice, comfortable pair of shoes.
    "It was wonderful to see everyone again, and felt like I'd never been away. Everyone was very welcoming, and it seemed so natural to be back."
    Partridge, who recently finished in sixth place on Celebrity Big Brother, was a Walford regular between 2008 and 2012.
    Lynda Baron is also returning as Christian's mother Linda in the early summer.

Digital Spy
    Last edited by Perdita; 15-04-2016 at 17:06.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (16-04-2016)

EastEnders welcomes back Christian Clarke in tragic circumstances tonight (May 26) as his sister Jane's life continues to hang in the balance.

Christian (John Partridge) rushes back to Walford after being alerted to Jane's worrying condition, bringing his mum Linda along with him too.

Jane is currently seriously ill in hospital after being attacked by her twisted stepson Bobby, which still has the potential to tear the Beales apart forever as her future is far from certain.

Linda (Lynda Baron) has some particualrly harsh home truths to share with Ian, but how will Christian feel about such a shocking turn of events?

EastEnders airs tonight at 7.30pm on BBC One.

Digital Spy
    Last edited by Perdita; 26-05-2016 at 06:00.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (26-05-2016), Rear window (28-05-2016)

Thread Information