Thread: 'EastEnders' limit episodes to 16 actors

'EastEnders' limit episodes to 16 actors

EastEnders producers have introduced a limit on the number of speaking parts in each episode.

The Daily Mail reports that because of budget cuts, only 16 characters will appear in each instalment of the soap.

A source said: "To keep within budget we've been working to an average of 16 actors per show. It's a bid to save costs."

However, Equity spokesman Martin McGrath said: "Equity would argue that it is not wise to cut back on the quality of a programme and if this measure has an impact on the quality of the programme, we would be concerned.

"The BBC should not be seeking to achieve the shortest-term saving at the cost of performers. Trying to produce quality TV on the cheap is doomed to fail."

A BBC spokesman confirmed the quota but insisted that it would not affect the quality of the show.

He said: "EastEnders, along with all BBC programmes, has to make savings, so working to an average number of regular actors per episode is one of many ways to keep within the programme budget.

"We've been working this way for the past year and it doesn't impact on viewers' enjoyment of the show. Contract matters are confidential."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2...16-actors.html

But does that include Winston?

and Tracy?

And Baby Pickle.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

Thread Information