Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick Tilsley

Coronation Street's road crash aftermath enters a new chapter this fortnight as Nick Tilsley finally regains full consciousness and starts talking again.

To the horror of Nick's half-brother David Platt, the businessman remembers everything about the crash that nearly killed him and is now ready to take control of the situation once and for all.

Here, Ben Price - who plays Nick - reveals what's in store as the Platt family's secrets and lies threaten to be exposed.

How is Nick feeling when he wakes up?
    "He totally remembers what happened, so he's in a bad mood which is partly to do with the accident and partly to do with the fact that he knows his brother tried to kill him. Nick's injuries are a separate issue for him - he has his own anger about that. David is really hoping that Nick won't be able to remember what happened, but he does, and that's really important."

So when does everything come back to Nick?
    "Immediately. Nick's short-term memory seems completely intact - it's his long-term memory that isn't so great. He's forgetting things such as Bethany's name, or random words, for example. But short term, and specifically what happened before he ended up in hospital, Nick's memories are vivid."

When Nick was in a coma, David stood by his bedside and poured his heart out. Does Nick pick up on this when he wakes up?
    "I don't think Nick actually cares what David says or does anymore. Nick's of the mind that nothing can change now - David tried to kill him and that will never go away. So to a great extent, it doesn't matter at all what he says now Nick is awake. David will only ever try to save his own skin, and Nick knows that. Nick knows that David will just say whatever he needs to say, so any apology is lost on him completely."

What is Nick intending to do?
    "I think he's quite happy to tell everyone the truth. I think Nick wants to get it all sorted - find out whose baby Lily is, and then [ask], 'Where do we all stand?' Nick wants everything out in the open, no more secrets or lies. He is more than ready to come clean and get everything off his chest. Nick is a different guy now. He knows that sooner or later it will get out anyway, so he'd rather have control of it."

What happens when Nick summons David to his bedside?
    "Nick asks David to get a DNA test, which David doesn't want to do, but Nick threatens to expose him unless he agrees. David wants to know what Nick is going to do with the information first, before he agrees. Nick says that if the baby is David's, then he'll keep quiet, but if it's his, then Nick tells him that will change things. Nick knows they need to do this in order to be able to move on. David's so scared about losing Kylie."

How does David react when he realises that Nick remembers every detail?
    "I think he's scared, because now he's faced with a man who just doesn't care anymore. Nick has always cared, he's always made sure his mum is okay, his brother is okay, that Leanne is okay. Nick's always been so calm, but that has changed now. As far as Nick is concerned, David can go to hell. The gloves are off. He's understandably bitter, as he can't walk! He's in a bad place physically and mentally."

Will Nick ever find it in him to forgive David?
    "No. Not for a very long time! I think too much has happened between them now - it's gone too far. Until they find a common enemy, I can't imagine things will be right for years."

Have his injuries changed Nick's attitude to life?
    "Definitely. He's come so close to dying and has been left with brain injuries that have put him in a place he's never been before. He's not Mr Nice Guy anymore."

How are things with Leanne?
    "Good. I think poor Leanne has been trying hard to be honest and has admitted that she knows the next few months aren't going to be easy. Nick isn't the man he used to be, he's not going to be able to run the Bistro and be the active family man he was before. But Nick knows it's only a matter of time before she finds out, so he knows that's coming.

"I think Nick is aware that Leanne is committed to him now, but he's also realistic and knows that the reason he slept with Kylie was because of what Leanne did on their wedding day. It's great to play that doubt as an actor. It's more of a question of what will happen when she finds out."

Do you think they could survive it?
    "No, I don't think they could. Leanne is a hypocrite seeing as she went to see Peter on her wedding day, but then I don't know how much that will wash seeing as Nick slept with his sister-in-law! Especially as he's kept it hidden from her for months."

Nick gets quite nasty and short-tempered with his mum while he's recovering from the crash. Why is that?
    "He finds her irritating, because Gail wants the child in him again. She wants to mother him and he's irritable anyway at the minute. I think you always take it out on those closest to you."

Is Nick told that he has a long road ahead of him?
    "Yes. Nick is advised to expect a long road to recovery, and that it will be very difficult. He's told there will be a lot of things that may shock or surprise him. Things won't be the same for a long while, but you can't keep Nick down. He has so much drive within him."

Are you relieved that Nick is conscious again?
    "Oh I don't know, it was quite good to play! (Laughs.) Yes, I am actually. It's great to get some dialogue and move the story forwards. I'm ready to get my teeth into the consequences of the crash and for Nick to figure out how best to deal with them."
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

2. The Following User Says Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

swmc66 (01-10-2013)

Coronation Street star Ben Price has praised the soap's bosses for exploring the full implications of Nick Tilsley's recent brain injury.

Nick was almost killed in a road crash earlier this year. Although he has since been released from hospital, he appears to be a changed man in upcoming episodes as he repeatedly loses his temper with his loved ones.

Speaking on ITV's Daybreak this morning (October 29), Price credited Coronation Street's producer Stuart Blackburn for coming up with his character's dark storyline.

He said: "I think that's down to Stuart Blackburn. I think he's really done a fantastic job. We met with a doctor - a surgeon who would have done the operation on me - and a charity Headway, and we talked about the long-term implications.

"I think that was one thing that Stuart and the writers and I really wanted to do. Not just a few months, maybe a year, maybe it takes two years. Give him a different look, make the audience realise that I might never be the same Nick.

"I probably won't be, this will always affect me. I think he's done a fantastic job to make that in a realistic timeframe."

One of Nick's biggest outbursts comes later this week as he becomes irritated by Simon Barlow at a Halloween party and angrily rants at him.

Nick's outburst shocks everyone.
    © ITV

Price continued: "The doctor was saying the impact is very significant for families and the person. The person might be, a bit like Nick, not really able to quantify his feelings or his emotions. The impact is taken out on your nearest and dearest.

"The doctor said the operation is one thing, which he can do and he does every day, but the aftercare and the therapy is a whole different treatment side.

"I hope you're going to see that with Nick - him struggle to get better, him struggle with himself, him push away the people who are closest to him so he doesn't hurt them. It happens every day to people."

The impact on Nick's wife Leanne (Jane Danson) will be particularly difficult after they reunite.

Price said: "I think Nick would like nothing more than to be with Leanne for the rest of his life, but it would be turbulent. It's not going to be a straight road. It's a lot for her to take on. I'm not the man she married and that's hard."

Coronation Street star Ben Price has praised the soap's bosses for exploring the full implications of Nick Tilsley's recent brain injury.

Nick was almost killed in a road crash earlier this year. Although he has since been released from hospital, he appears to be a changed man in upcoming episodes as he repeatedly loses his temper with his loved ones.

Speaking on ITV's Daybreak this morning (October 29), Price credited Coronation Street's producer Stuart Blackburn for coming up with his character's dark storyline.

He said: "I think that's down to Stuart Blackburn. I think he's really done a fantastic job. We met with a doctor - a surgeon who would have done the operation on me - and a charity Headway, and we talked about the long-term implications.

"I think that was one thing that Stuart and the writers and I really wanted to do. Not just a few months, maybe a year, maybe it takes two years. Give him a different look, make the audience realise that I might never be the same Nick.

"I probably won't be, this will always affect me. I think he's done a fantastic job to make that in a realistic timeframe."

One of Nick's biggest outbursts comes later this week as he becomes irritated by Simon Barlow at a Halloween party and angrily rants at him.

© ITV

Price continued: "The doctor was saying the impact is very significant for families and the person. The person might be, a bit like Nick, not really able to quantify his feelings or his emotions. The impact is taken out on your nearest and dearest.

"The doctor said the operation is one thing, which he can do and he does every day, but the aftercare and the therapy is a whole different treatment side.

"I hope you're going to see that with Nick - him struggle to get better, him struggle with himself, him push away the people who are closest to him so he doesn't hurt them. It happens every day to people."

The impact on Nick's wife Leanne (Jane Danson) will be particularly difficult after they reunite.

Price said: "I think Nick would like nothing more than to be with Leanne for the rest of his life, but it would be turbulent. It's not going to be a straight road. It's a lot for her to take on. I'm not the man she married and that's hard."

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Brucie (29-10-2013), maidmarian (29-10-2013)

I might get a check up - Simon Barlow irritates the hell out of me too!

i read that nick turns violent with leanne and simon

Ben Price has signed a new contract with Coronation Street.

The actor, who plays Nick Tilsley on the ITV soap, will stay in the role for at least another year, the Daily Star Sunday reports.

Price's character is currently recovering from a brain injury after he was nearly killed by brother David in a road accident earlier this year.

The soap has been praised by brain injury charity Headway for its accurate portrayal of the recovery process facing people suffering from such trauma.

Price recently explained that he and Coronation Street producers had been working with the organisation to make the storyline as realistic as possible.

He said: "We met with a doctor - a surgeon who would have done the operation on me - and a charity Headway, and we talked about the long-term implications.

"I think that was one thing that Stuart [Blackburn] and the writers and I really wanted to do. Not just a few months, maybe a year, maybe it takes two years. Give him a different look, make the audience realise that I might never be the same Nick.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (10-11-2013), tammyy2j (11-11-2013)

Nick's violent mood swings will put strain on his relationship with Leanne, Ben Price has revealed.

Ben, who plays Nick, said: "I think Leanne suddenly realises just how bad it’s got. Nick has no control, he has no cover. He can snap at any point and he can’t control when or how."

Nick's brain injury impacts on every area of his life, as he struggles to contain his outbursts.

"It all comes out and then he instantly regrets it, but he just can’t control it," said Ben.

"There are three of them in their relationship now; Leanne, Nick, and his injury..."

When Nick snaps at Simon, Leanne makes a difficult decision to protect her son from his mood swings.

"Leanne’s fought hard to keep Simon and now he has to go and live with Peter because of Nick. Simon needs his mum and Nick feels like he’s messed that up."

As the changes to Nick's personality take their toll on his and Leanne's relationship, Ben Price admits they've got a hard road ahead of them.

He said: "At this point, I can’t see their marriage surviving. They’ve got a long way to go."

"I do think there’s a chance that Leanne is at risk. He’s flipped before, but I think he’s more worried about how his injuries will impact upon her mentally rather than physically."

"Nick’s desperate to get back to normal and that’s part of the problem. He wants his life back. He is desperate to look as though he’s better - he just wants people to think he’s coping."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (11-11-2013)

'Coronation Street' Ben Price: 'Nick, Leanne marriage may not survive'

Nick Tilsley's marriage faces new challenges on Coronation Street next week as the impact of the brain injury he recently suffered continues to take its toll.

As Nick suffers memory lapses and continues to be short-tempered, his wife Leanne (Jane Danson) is disheartened and her hopes for normality quickly fade.

Here, Ben Price - who plays Nick - discusses the long journey ahead for his troubled character.

Does Nick feel responsible at all for the destruction of his family?
    "I think Nick feels that David is entirely to blame. Nick certainly knows that he's not the easiest person to be around at the minute, but if it wasn't for David's actions, then they wouldn't all be in this state. David put Nick in this place. That's all Nick can see."

How would you say Nick is coping with his recovery?
    "Outwardly Nick might seem as though he's doing okay. He's putting a brave face on and is determined to get back to normal. But inside, I really think Nick is struggling to come to terms with what's happened to him and how far it's set him back."

Is the support he's receiving from his family helping him?
    "Nick is getting so frustrated with his mum. He's fed up of her fussing around him all the time. He feels as though he's being wrapped up in cotton wool by her. She's making it really difficult for him and he feels as though she's making it all ten times worse. Gail is a constant reminder that he has a long road to recovery."

Do you think Nick is trying to do too much too soon?
    "Yes definitely. He's desperate to get back to normal and that's part of the problem. He wants his life back. It's all about the 'look'. Nick is desperate to look as though he's better - if he looks better, he might start to feel more himself again too. He just wants people to think he's coping."

How does Nick feel about David being out on the street when Tina kicks him out?
    "I don't think he's happy about it at all, but not because David's on the street but because he's still hanging around Weatherfield. He wants David gone, he wants him to leave. He doesn't care where David is. Nick has well and truly had enough of him."

Next week, there's a problem when Nick should be meeting a wine supplier for the Bistro. What happens?
    "The meeting with a wine supplier completely slips his mind, but I really didn't want to make too much of the memory lapses. It's not that his memory is going, it's more that he's struggling to contain everything that's going on in his head."

Nick also picks up Simon from school without telling anyone, which leads to a panic when Tina arrives to take him home and nobody knows where Simon is…
    "Yes, but Nick doesn't see that there's anything wrong with that. He thinks that as an adult, it shouldn't be a problem. Before the accident, Nick used to pick Simon up all of the time so he can't see why now should be any different. He's completely overloading himself and that's why things like these meetings are slipping his mind.

"But this isn't the biggest part of Nick's injury. I was keen to make the anger and the mood swings a bigger part of it."

The good news is that Leanne has taken Nick back. How is he feeling about that?
    "A mixture of emotions, really. There are clear problems between the two of them now that he can't escape. He's happy to have Leanne back, but then he also can't escape the thought that it's going to be difficult and that they have a long way to go to get things back to the way they were.

"I think he's grateful for Leanne being around, but he knows that what he did with Kylie is going to have to play out at some point. Nick's not stupid. He slept with his sister-in-law - at some point that's going to cause more problems along the way for him and Leanne. It might be okay between them for now, but at some point it's going to become very difficult for them to move forward."

Is Nick quite conscious that his injuries could have a huge impact on their marriage?
    "He desperately doesn't want Leanne to be his mum. Nick does not want her to be his carer. But that's what she'll become if she carries on looking after him all of the time. It's not as easy as Leanne being back in his life and them being able to pick up where they left off. They've got complications to overcome. There's three in their relationship now - Leanne, Nick, and his injury."

Does Nick start to take his frustrations out on her?
    "No, I don't think it's to do with Leanne as such - it's strange. The frustrations he has are all to do with himself. He sees Leanne as blameless. In terms of the injury, Leanne's trying her best, but Nick is so frustrated by it all. That's what he can't contain. Leanne's being so supportive and he knows that."

Could Leanne be at risk of seeing that other side to Nick, though?
    "I do think there's a chance she's at risk - Nick wouldn't say that though. He's flipped before, but I think he's more worried about how his injuries will impact upon her mentally rather than physically."

What is Leanne's reaction when Nick snaps at Simon again?
    "Shock. I think Leanne suddenly realises just how bad it's got. Nick has no control, he has no cover. He can snap at any point and he can't control when or how."

Does Nick feel bad when Leanne decides to send Simon off to live with his dad?
    "Yes, definitely. She's fought hard to keep Simon and now he has to go and live with Peter because of him. Simon needs his mum and Nick feels he's messed that up now because of his affair."

At this stage, do you think the marriage will survive?
    "At this point, I can't see it. They've a long way to go, and a hard road ahead of them."

Do you enjoy playing this nastier Nick?
    "Yes, it's great. As long as there's truth there, I get to explore a part of Nick I've never had chance to before. It's a great opportunity as an actor."

I thought that Leanne took simon on as it was not safe or good for his welfare to be with Peter and Carla. Courts agreed. How could she send him back. Poor kid he will be left stranded again after Tina and peters affair

14. The Following User Says Thank You to swmc66 For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (12-11-2013)

Coronation Street's Nick and Leanne Tilsley are left devastated on Christmas Day as they realise that their marriage may never be the same again.

When Leanne (Jane Danson) playfully teases Nick over a cracker joke during a festive meal at the Bistro, he flies into another rage and slaps her across the face in a shocking scene.

Knowing that his recent brain injury is still adversely affecting his personality, Nick starts to wonder whether Leanne would be safer away from him - throwing their entire future as a couple into doubt.

Here, Ben Price - who plays Nick - previews a tough festive season for his character and the Platt clan.

Has Nick been improving in the build-up to Christmas?
    "Outwardly it appears that he has, but inwardly he's just been better at managing it. I don't think his condition has improved that much, he's just recognising when he needs to walk away, calm down and not say anything. He's better at doing that."

How is Nick coping with the atmosphere at the family home?
    "I think it's very difficult because it's too crowded and he feels like he's become a kid again. As a grown man that's quite hard. Leanne and his mum are now his carers and he feels like a child. It's awful for Nick - he's a complete control freak. It's horrible for him when he has no control."

Does Nick now regret asking Gail to choose between him and David?
    "I don't think he does. He might regret that he put his mum in a difficult situation, but he hates David and at the time he didn't want him anywhere near him."

What makes Nick fly into such a rage with Leanne on Christmas Day?
    "It's been a very, very stressful two days for Nick. On Christmas Day, people keep coming in and out of the meal, there's lots of noise and people keep knocking glasses over. It's too much for Nick and his frustration just boils over.

"Nick's anger comes out and Leanne gets the brunt of it. All day he looks like he's fine, but he's not fine. He's head's all over the place, he has a headache and it's just too much. Leanne says the wrong thing at the wrong time."

What is Leanne's reaction?
    "It's awful for her. I think at that point something dies in their relationship. Nick has got a head injury and what he's done is to do with that head injury, but they've lost that trust. He's lost the trust in himself and he's done the worst thing he can imagine. I think Leanne is shocked, upset and disappointed. Nick realises at this point that they're not going to be fine."

How do the family react when Nick hits Leanne?
    "They don't like it at all. They're shocked but they know Nick has this huge problem and it's to do with his injury - but it's also to do with him."

How does Nick feel afterwards?
    "He doesn't know what he's become. Who is he now? Nick knows what he should be and what he was, but he doesn't know who he is now. He looks pretty much the same but he's not. Nothing is right in his life."

Why does Nick tell Norris of all people that he slapped Leanne?
    "Norris notices her black eye and Leanne tries to cover, but Nick doesn't want that. Nick is one for wanting to face things and this is part of his accident. He has something to face now - this is what he's done, who he is. He's taking some control back."

Is Nick worried that he'll hurt Leanne again?
    "Absolutely. He can't control it and it's a very fine line for him. He can't trust himself and he knows Leanne can't trust him anymore. He's not the man she fell in love with."

Is Nick worried that Leanne will leave him for good?
    "I don't think he is anymore. I think part of him thinks she probably should leave him. They've been through the motions of trying to save their relationship but when someone is fundamentally not the same person, it's extremely hard."

How hopeful is Nick that his training sessions with Kal will help?
    "At first he's not that hopeful and then he just needs something to hold on to and he needs something to feel a bit more vital again, a bit more normal. That's what Kal does. He's another man and Nick doesn't really have many male friends on the street. He hates Peter, he hates his brother and there are not many guys around that he can relate to. Kal's physical and quick so he keeps Nick on his toes a bit. He's now quite hopeful it could go somewhere."

Can Nick ever imagine being normal again?
    "I think he thought he could, but now he realises this could be it. This is who he is now and he might be like this for months, years, forever."

What do you think 2014 will hold for the Platts?
    "Maybe we'll see what happens with David and Nick. I hope we start to see what happens with the relationship between Leanne and Nick and how they work together. I'm hoping it's as big as 2013 because it's been momentous for the Platts this year. This could just be the beginning."

How are you spending Christmas?
    "We have a very traditional Christmas. We open presents in the morning, eat turkey for dinner, pull crackers, have the family round. We just have a very normal and lovely Christmas with the kids."

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s3...#ixzz2niRKOvo5

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

swmc66 (17-12-2013)

Thread Information